PDA

View Full Version : Rare bird?

Undmark, Ulf
30th March 2001, 14:47
Hello all Shinto muso ryu people!

I posted this question in the koryu forum a while ago, but nobody seemed to have an answer...so I'll try again here. It turned out that the question was possibly closer related to the Shinto muso ryu fuzoku budo.

Is the choe gama still practiced as part of the Isshin ryu and does anyone know about the background and methods of this weapon? What does the choe gama really look like?

It would be sad to hear it is extinct...

Regards
Ulf Undmark

Meik Skoss
30th March 2001, 18:50
U. Undmark enquired about whether the choegama is still practised or not.

To the best of my knowledge, the only person who was doing that kind of training (maybe) was the late Otofuji Ichizo, in Fukuoka. He might have taught it to his senior students, but I've never seen it demonstrated at any of the major embu taikai and only heard about it in passing. I'm pretty sure that Shimizu Takaji neither did nor taught choegama after he moved to Tokyo. It might be that he didn't even know it. These days, who can really say?

Undmark, Ulf
2nd April 2001, 12:15
Thank You Mr. Skoss!

Well, I guess it looks like the choegama was not something that automatically came with training in Isshin ryu... and not really something one should expect to see being performed sooner or later either.

While there's a reason for most things, it would be nice if it [had] survived!

Regards
Ulf Undmark