PDA

View Full Version : Australian Koshiki Karate Details ?

Paul Steadman
8th October 2014, 12:08
Hello All,

Does anyone know who is running Koshiki Karate-do in Australia i.e. the karate comp format utilising the Anzen Bogu (head and torso protector - based on kendo bogu/dogu) as developed and promulgated by Hisataka Kori-sensei and Hisataka Masayuki-sensei.

I used to judge, referee and compete back in the 80s and was looking at getting my junior students involved.

There are currently sveral groups using the term "Koshiki," but I am seeking the group that operates under the auspices of Hisataka Masayuki-sensei.

Thank you for your time and consideration guys.

Cheers,

mw17
8th October 2014, 12:47
WKKF (Koshiki Karate) is lead by Shihan Scott Brown 6th Dan Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo here in Australia. He is also the Vice Chairman of the WKKF under the Chairman Masayuki Hisataka 9th Dan Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo and a personal student of the headmaster.

Shihan Brown is also assisted by Nigel McReddie 4th Dan Shorinjiryu Kenkokan in Queensland, and some other senior Shorinjiryu Kenkokan members from his Kenseikai in NSW. WKKF (Koshiki) used to be quite big and popular here in Australia back in the 80's and 90's, but has declined over the years. Would you agree on that comment? From what we see here in Australia there seems to be more focus these days on the art of Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karate rather than the competition system of Koshiki.

It's probably a fairly good system (Koshiki) for the kids to grow up on as well as being quite safe with the head and body protection. I think the kids would like it.

Can't say I agree with the so called Dan grading recognition they have in WKKF (Koshiki). I guess it attracts those wanting or asking for recognition. When it comes down to it, it's just a sport, not a tradition. Go for it....get the kids involved. They'll have fun. Let me know how you go, as I've been thinking of doing the same.

Matt White

Paul Steadman
9th October 2014, 13:57
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the update. I remember Scott Brown-sensei from Shorinj-ryu, always looked forward to attending seminars where he taught. It was through Scott Brown-sensei that I was able to attend a Koshiki seminar run by Michel Laurin-sensei (mid 90s international middle-weight Koshiki champion - if memory serves).

I also remember Nigel-san, he was doing Rhee Taekwondo back in 1987 when I met him. I was the karate guy that taught him Taikyoku-shodan (karate's first kata) ... Good to hear that he went on to get his 4th Dan in karate ... but I have read on various internet sites that place him at 5th, 6th and 7th dan with shogo titles of kengo, renshi and kyoshi! Are these sites dated or are the grades/titles honorary? Perhaps issued by the WKKF as distinct from Shorinji-ryu Kenkokan?

Regards,

mw17
10th October 2014, 01:59
Thanks for your response. I remember reading about Michel Laurin sensei coming to Australia back then. He was a champion koshiki fighter from Canada.

I have also read quite a lot of information and chatter about Nigel McReddie on the internet (Facebook) about his WKKF Kenryukan Karate-jutsu dojo in Brisbane. Don’t know anything about his history/grading background, but it would be interesting to find out more about this karateka seeing he’s been around for a long time.

I hear WKKF (Koshiki) give out those higher dan grade recognitions to their officials, but like I said in my previous post, these grades are not recognised or formally endorsed in traditional karate, they are just an honorary token of appreciation. We’re not interested in these dan recognitions, but we’re thinking seriously about our kids competing in the koshiki events provided they are associating within a safe and honest environment with persons of good character (Working with Children Check).

We’ll follow this up, and I’d appreciate it if you could let me know more about WKKF Koshiki and the Officials before we commit.

Matt White

Paul Steadman
13th October 2014, 13:14
Hello,

I found the WKKF website at: http://koshiki.org/index.htm

I see Scott Brown-sensei is listed as a 7th Dan Kyoshi while Nigel McReddie is listed as a 5th Dan Kengo. The maths doesn't add up as I remember Nigel was a yellow belt in mid 1987.

Anyway I will contact Scott Brown-sensei re: Koshiki competition in Australia. It has been some time since I was involved in Koshiki in central west NSW back in the mid to late 80s but I remember the Koshiki rules were inclusive of jujutsu style techniques; throws, sweeps and techniques etc.

Cheers,

mw17
14th October 2014, 00:45
Thanks for the information on the WKKF website. I ended up following this up and got onto some people involved in the WKKF Koshiki in Australia. The WKKF website is not quite up to date either. I stand corrected re my comment of these WKKF Dan grades being honorary. I see on the WKKF website they have actual examination criteria the candidate must meet, but I was told many of these WKKF Dan grades have been issued gratuitously to attract outside officials. It’s apparently good for business.

They also said WKKF should not be confused with Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karate, even though both are under the control of Masayuki Hisataka sensei in Japan. They are separate entities.

As of 2014, Nigel McReddie’s actual grading in traditional Japanese Karate (Shorinjiryu Kenkokan) is 4th Dan, not 7th Dan Kyoshi as he advertises. His background is mainly Taekwondo (Rhee) and UKB Karate/Taekwondo (United Karate Brotherhood) and he named his dojo Kenryukan (after the Australian reptile – the frilled neck lizard/bearded dragon). When he joined the Shorinjiryu Kenkokan in 2012 he was given the 4th Dan. I’m guessing it’s probably a provisional grade at this stage until he learns the entire syllabus.

Is your club going to compete in the International Four Seasons Oceania Cup at Southport, Gold Coast on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th October 2015?

Matt

mw17
23rd October 2014, 11:20
'Karate is for life' heading into my mid sixties and coming up to 50 years of training, the last 30 years of it in the WKKF (1985 start with kumite hard man Hanshi Patrick McKean) and still doing bogu kumite drills with the 'master of masters' Hanshi Masayuki Kukan Hisataka, the Founder of the WKKF and an undefeated kumite champion in his prime; whom whilst in his mid 70's still works the bogu (every day)...

The above quote is from Nigel McReddie’s Facebook. I’m a little confused as I have since been given a copy of the budo biography of Nigel from a senior member of WKKF and Shorinjiryu Kenkokan. I was informed he has only been formally on the WKKF scene as an official since about the year 2000. In his biography Nigel stated he joined UKB Karate (United Karate Brotherhood) in 1991 not 1985, training under a 5th Dan instructor by the name of Pat McKean. This style (UKB) is an eclectic style of karate mixing elements of Shotokan, Goju and Shorinjiryu Kenkokan. During this time 1991 to 1999 he has made a remarkable achievement in reaching beginner to 6th Dan UKB Karate in only 8 years, but I don’t see how this is possible! Any comments regarding this?

His qualifications are
1st Dan Rhee Taekwondo (Chong Chul Rhee and Kim Macrae).
2nd Dan not known.
3rd Dan not known.
4th Dan Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karate (Masayuki Hisataka in 2012).
5th Dan UKB Taekwondo (Pat McKean in 1999).
6th Dan UKB Karate 1999 (Pat McKean in 1999).

We’re still interested in competing in WKKF Koshiki, but now a little reluctant due to the conflicting comments regarding qualifications of officials. Has anyone heard of Pat McKean in the Australia karate/taekwondo scene and his background?

Matt :confused:

Grant
28th October 2014, 03:28
Dear Matt & Paul,

My name is Grant Brechney, I am one of Scott Brown's senior students ranking 2nd dan in Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo & Koshiki Karatedo. I have been reading your conversation and would like to pitch in if I may?

Re the WKKF - Koshiki Karatedo is a interesting and physically challenging competition system which as both of you have recognised is founded by Masayuki Hisataka Hanshi of Japan. I have a 4 year career as a Koshiki Karatedo competitor now and in this time I feel I have gained quite a bit of insider knowledge to the politics, especially those here in Australia. Last year my wife Kody-Leigh and I held the WKKF NSW Winter Championships. We hosted many Australian teams and a Japanese team including Masamitsu Kudaka Shihan (Masayuki Hisataka Hanshi's son). The tournament was a great success and all had fun including a large team lead by Nigel McReaddie.

Nigel McReaddie had made several initiatives recently in support of the WKKF in the form of event hosting. Recently he hosted Masamitsu Shihan in Brisbane QLD. He also intends to host an Oceania tournament in October of 2015. The agenda behind these initiatives however calls into great question the character of this person. Earlier you both mentioned the Koshiki grading recognition system... Nigel has flawlessly maneuvered this system to position himself into a leader within the WKKF and some would even go as far as to say he has set up to position himself into a takeover of the titles for chairman of the Australian Koshiki Karatedo Federation and possibly even Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo (not even knowing the syllabus). There is no doubt that the Koshiki dan grading recognition system has brought serious issues about into the internal management of the AKKF which will have lasting effects on the sport here in Australia. Good or bad who can say?

Nigel holds a 7th Dan in Koshiki Karatedo awarded to him by Masayuki Hisataka Hanshi. As you both know, Nigels grading history within an actual system of Karate or other martial art is sketchy at best, recognising that Koshiki Karatedo is purely a sport brought about by the heavy influence of western society to institutionalise traditional Japanese/Okinawan martial arts. This is questionable also as Nigel has no competition career within Koshiki Karate himself, not discounting his ability as a referee/judge...

I have personally made a decision to disassociate with the WKKF as a result of these events and others I have not mentioned here. This has come as a shame to me as I do believe the idea behind the contact system is good one. I am afraid though that I believe it has no future here in Australia and if it does, it is not one that I would be able to associate with as a practitioner (as best I can be) of the budo philosophy.

I encourage those interested however to seek their own experience with these organisations and individuals and make their own judgement. Thanks for letting me chuck in my 2 cents guys =)

mw17
6th March 2015, 06:48
I also remember Nigel-san, he was doing Rhee Taekwondo back in 1987 when I met him. I was the karate guy that taught him Taikyoku-shodan (karate's first kata) ... Good to hear that he went on to get his 4th Dan in karate ... but I have read on various internet sites that place him at 5th, 6th and 7th dan with shogo titles of kengo, renshi and kyoshi! Are these sites dated or are the grades/titles honorary? Perhaps issued by the WKKF as distinct from Shorinji-ryu Kenkokan?

Regards,

That's interesting, and also to hear you were a direct student of Pat McKean for a long time. Any background information regarding this?

Kerrie Mee
26th April 2015, 09:04
Hi Matt

Just wondering what background information you are looking for re: Hanshi Pat McKean

mw17
8th July 2015, 01:59
Thanks everyone for your input into the Koshiki discussion. Scott Brown (8th Dan Koshiki) and Howard Sanders (6th Dan Koshiki) resigned from the WKKF after many years of service in that federation due to personal reasons. It is assumed Australia Koshiki at this stage is no longer a written body of principles governed by a committee in a legal form. However there a few people who still support WKKF in Australia and are taking Koshiki in another direction. This group is now lead by Nigel McReddie (7th Dan Koshiki).

Laurie Vanniekerk, Scott Brown (NSW) and Phil Hooper (QLD) are considered the pioneers of Koshiki in Australia. Other notable pioneer karateka in Australia included Merv Oakley, Paul Starling, John Taylor, Frank Novak, but were not involved with the Koshiki system except for Paul Starling who acted as an advisor for the NSW branch in the early 1980’s.

Scott Brown 6th Dan Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo who heads the tradition in Australia, and Nigel McReddie 4th Dan Shorinjiryu Kenkokan remain members of the Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo Honbu in Japan under Masayuki Hisataka.

Again thanks everyone for filling in the blanks.

Matt White

Kerrie Mee
11th July 2015, 15:13
Hi Matt
As previously asked... what background information were you looking for regarding Hanshi Pat McKean???
I notice you failed to mention him as a pioneer of Koshiki Karate. He was a true pioneer & advocate of the Koshiki system. Without Hanshi Pat McKean it would not have succeeded in Australia

mw17
21st July 2015, 06:49
QUOTE: "Laurie Vanniekerk, Scott Brown (NSW) and Phil Hooper (QLD) are considered the pioneers of Koshiki in Australia. Other notable pioneer karateka in Australia included Merv Oakley, Paul Starling, John Taylor, Frank Novak, but were not involved with the Koshiki system except for Paul Starling who acted as an advisor for the NSW branch in the early 1980’s."

Regarding Koshiki in the 1980’s and 1990’s it was further confirmed that Lori Vanniekerk, Graeme Bullpit, Chris Kleise, Gordon Kleise, Richard Bryant, Phil Hooper (all from QLD) and Scott Brown (NSW) are the actual pioneers of Koshiki in Australia. Lori Vanniekerk headed the organisation in Australia with his student Phil Hooper leading the Queensland Branch and Scott Brown leading the NSW Branch.

There were many karateka in NSW and Queensland who supported Koshiki with their respective dojo’s attending tournaments in NSW, Queensland, Japan and USA.

It was established the following Instructors/people/dojo’s to name a few supported Koshiki in the past.
Graeme Bowden, Max Estens, Jim Griffin, Douglas Hawkins, Steven Fekete, Shaun O’Leary, Mark Manion, Allan Park, Home Phanoraj, Pam Brown, Julie Hooper and Ros Jenkins all from Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo (the founding school of Koshiki), Phil Hinshelwood and Paul O’Donnell from the Shudokan, Chris and Jeff Traish from Arjuken Karate, Rick Jones from Onesown Karate, Pat Brennan from Zen Do kai Karate, Howard Sanders from Australian Kenkokan Karate, Pat McKean from United Karate Brotherhood, Ian Pollet from Shito ryu to name a few, and more recently Nigel McReddie from Kenryukan. Many of these people were Judges, Referees and administration assistants who had a passion for the promotion of Koshiki competition. Agreed, all were advocates with many doing some great team work which helped Koshiki achieve in Australia.

Noteworthy International and National Koshiki Champions included Graeme Bowden, Chris Kleise, Phil Hooper, Scott Brown, Gordon Kleise, Dave Holmberg, Paul O’Donnell, and Geoff Harrison.

As stated in a prior post, the notable Australian pioneer karateka (FAKO) during these decades included Merv Oakley, Paul Starling, John Taylor, Frank Nowak and a few others who headed their respective traditional karate branch in Australia under their headmaster in Japan. It should be noted the late John Newman MP, President of Federation of Australian Karate Organisations (FAKO) was an advocate and supporter of early koshiki.

Kerrie Mee
4th August 2015, 06:15
Hi Matt
You have again failed to answer my question as to why you were asking for Hanshi Pat McKean's history.
As to the pioneers of Koshiki, Pat McKean was the National President for over 20 years. Scott Brown & PHIL Hooper were the State Presidents. You seem to be confusing Koshiki with Shorinjiryu.
You have mentioned quite a few names there so can I assume that you are also a Koshiki competitor.
With regards to notable International Competitors, I noticed you again forgot Hanshi Pat McKean. He won the World a Title in 1987 in USA, biggest Koshiki tournament ever. Unfortunately Phil Hooper & Scott Brown were both defeated.
Pat McKean was also the original karate teacher of Scott Brown & also teacher of Howard Sanders.
Perhaps your efforts to be deliberately misleading have an underlying objective ???
Regarding FAKO the Koshiki demo in Sydney was performed by Pat McKean & Scott Brown.
Regarding WKKF, Pat McKean was awarded his 8th Dan by Hanshi Hisataka in 1999. I think Scott Brown is still waiting for his grading

mw17
9th August 2015, 01:43
In an effort to show this Koshiki subject not to be deliberately misleading with an underlying objective, the following comments are submitted for your information and perusal.

This subject takes an interest in all matters of fact regarding Koshiki History in Australia, its Pioneers, Noteworthy Champions, Administration Officials and Competitors. Pat McKean is also included in this subject, along with many others. In the interest of readers, information regarding Pat McKean has not been forthcoming in previous posts, but is now kindly provided.

Please note the following background, along with information provided by Kerri Mee on Pat McKean and his notable historical association within Koshiki Australia.

1. Pat McKean was the National President for over 20 years (Koshiki).
2. Pat McKean was an International Competitor (Koshiki 1987).
3. Pat McKean 1987 World Title winner (Biggest Koshiki tournament ever).
4. Original karate teacher of Scott Brown.
5. Karate teacher of Howard Sanders.
6. Pat McKean with Scott Brown did a Koshiki demonstration in Sydney for FAKO.
7. Awarded 8th Dan Koshiki in 1999 by Masayuki Hisataka.
8. Original karate teacher of Nigel McReddie.

Further facts and comments regarding Koshiki history in Australia, its Pioneers, Noteworthy Champions, Administrations Officials and Competitors are welcomed in this forum.

mw17
27th August 2015, 03:10
FROM THE AUSTRALIAN KOSHIKI ARCHIVES
Thank you to the old boys of Australia Koshiki and Shorinjiryu for providing the following information and regular updates and support regarding Australia Koshiki history.

1. The Founders - The Founding Fathers of Australia Koshiki are Lori Vanniekerk, Graeme Bullpit, Chris Kleise and Gordon Kleise who in 1980 took the Australian team to the inaugural World Koshiki Championships Tokyo, after Lori Vanniekerk first established Shorinjiryu Kenkokan in Australia in early 1978.

2. Administration - Former National Presidents of Koshiki also included Lori Vanniekerk, Graeme Bullpit, Wayne Johnson, Douglas Hawkins, Warwick O’Brien, Howard Sanders, Glen Stevenson along with others have held this positon since circa 1980.

3. Administration - Former State Presidents included Phil Hooper (QLD) and Scott Brown (NSW). With the support of Lori Vanniekerk, Scott Brown established NSW Koshiki after his return from Japan in December 1980.

4. Koshiki and Anzen Bogu ‘Supersafe’- Th e name ‘Supersafe’ was coined by Scott Brown and Richard Bryant in 1979 whilst living and training as the first uchi deshi’s in Japan under Masayuki Hisataka. Supersafe is also known as Anzen Bogu which is used in Koshiki competition. The movie superman had just been released in Japan and the name and Koshiki Logo was inspired by the movie poster with the superman mark. The word Koshiki has two meanings depending on the Kanji used. In this instance Koshiki means hard style competition, not old. Richard Bryant and Scott Brown were the first Australian uchi deshi’s of Masayuki Hisataka in Japan.

5. Karatedo - Koshiki should not be confused with Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo as they are two separate entities. It is worth noting that Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo in Japan has always utilised Bogu fighting in its tournament system from the inception by the founder Kaiso Kori Hisataka.
The Canadians also were very familiar with Bogu competition having utilised the precursor kendo style bogu throughout the mid-sixties and 1970’s under the instruction of Masayuki Hisataka and his senior Canadian student Wayne Donovan.

6. Champions - The notable Australian National and International Koshiki Champions Graeme Bowden, Phil Hooper, Scott Brown, Chris Kleise, Gordon Kleise, Richard Bryant, Dave Holmberg, Paul O’Donnell and Geoff Harrison, Anne Bowden and Marnie Franklin stands, as they were consistent individual champions over several years, having fought many times winning Gold, Silver & Bronze awards as well as being declared champion.

7. Largest Koshiki Tournaments - The largest Koshiki tournaments were held in Japan in 1980 and 1982 where over 14 countries competed followed by, 1985 Brisbane Australia, 1989 Montreal Canada and 2000 Blue Mountains Australia.

8. USKA Tournament - The 25th Anniversary of Robert Trias & his United States Karate Association hosted the Grand National Tournament in 1987 which was referred to in a previous post {Kerrie Mee}, was probably one of the largest karate tournaments in the USA with about 1300 competitors. It was confirmed the Koshiki component of this tournament was the smallest contested in Koshiki history with only 4 countries comprising of about 30 competitors attending from Canada, USA, Australia and Japan. This only allowed for Men’s Team Events and no Individual Men’s Events, resulting in each Men’s team fighter to have only one fight. The Australian Koshiki Team (photo provided) lost against the USA Koshiki Team and did not win a place, with Canada the eventual Team champion titleholder. Disappointedly a long way to go for the Aussies for only one fight, but an enjoyable time for everyone.

9. Competitors - Please note that coverage of National and International Koshiki Competitors who fought many times over several years will be covered in a future report.

Grant
15th September 2015, 04:50
Hi Matt,

Your last post was very interesting in confirming the facts pertaining to past tournaments held by the WKKF and other organisations. I believe I can confirm the details you mentioned in regards to the tournament held in 1987 in USA as I had handed down to me by my instructor Shihan Scott Brown many brochures, flyers, documents etc., of past tournaments and seminars. One of those documents was a large, detailed flyer pertaining to the tournament in question that was complete with all Kumite draws and tournament information.

It is with sadness however that I question your notion in regards to the segregation of Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karate-do and Koshiki Karate do, (one being a martial way and the other a sport competition format). In regards to the many questionable grades that have been handed out between the two systems and there confusion as to what grade means what and gives who what power/responsibility, there is obviously too much grey in terms of the two systems being separate and to be able to recognise the WKKF & AKKF as legitimately run organisations. It is a sad fact that history has recorded the degradation of traditional martial ways when they have been pushed into becoming financially driven sport competition systems which is in my opinion what has occurred between Shorinjiryu Kenkokan and its sister competition system Koshiki Karate-do under the current leadership both in Australia and Japan.

It is unfortunate that there appears to be an inverse relationship in this circumstance between the practice of a true Budo system and its core values and the success of a sport competition system. We have seen the degradation and undermining of the underpinning values of what Shorinjiryu Kenkokan is suppose to teach and practice, given way to the advancement of ego driven individuals seeking false accolades and recognitions which Koshiki Karate-do has left the door open for.

In conclusion, I would question what should be more important in the eyes of our martial peers. Should we aim to be world champions at the sacrifice of what we initially set out to do in joining any martial art such as self-development etc., or do we simply stand aside when the tidal wave of; who did what, who won when, I'm 7th Dan in.... starts to crash down and feel sympathy for these people who have completely escaped the point of what a martial way seeks to develop and practice?

Thanks.

mw17
16th September 2015, 05:24
Re Post #14 and #15:

According to records and inquiries, Pat McKean (United Karate Brotherhood) was a leading influence in NSW Koshiki sport karate for a period of time. Several people over the years have held administration positions in Australian Koshiki and Pat McKean or anyone else’s administration position was not in question. However, there are now legitimate queries regarding points 1, 3 and 4.

Point 1: His position as National President for over 20 years is questionable, as former National Presidents including the founding father of Australia Koshiki Lori Vanniekerk, and Graeme Bullpit, as well as Wayne Johnson, Warwick O’Brien, Doug Hawkins, Howard Sanders, Glen Stevenson, and others also held this administration position since circa 1980’s. Saying this, it should be kept in mind that Australia Koshiki for quite a number of years has no longer a written body of principles governed by a committee in a legal sense.

Point 3: There is a mistake here. No Australian won the World Title (individual event or team event) at this Koshiki Tournament.

Point 4: This is not correct. Aubrey Brooks was his original Karate teacher (Kyokushin).

Re Post #17:
Thank you for your contribution.

We respectfully ask contributors to this Australian Koshiki sub forum, to be sure of your facts prior to posting or through private messaging.

mw17
15th December 2015, 06:10
A big thank you to all the contributors regarding the Koshiki Archives in Australia during 2015. We look forward to receiving more information of this sub forum during 2016 including Koshiki information on Regional, State and National competitors Bill Waterford, Scott Boyd, Peter Lucas, Ian Pollet, Ros Jenkins, Allan Park, Ivan Pacek, Chris Mack and more.

mw17
22nd June 2016, 11:00
Koshiki news in Australia has slowed down somewhat during 2016. Nothing has been forthcoming regarding any news of Koshiki tournaments in Australia or overseas.

Some recent news via facebook of Koshiki officials/enthusiast’s regarding gradings during June 2016 are as follows. Nigel McReaddie graded to 8th Dan in UKB (United Karate Brotherhood). Scott Boyd of Pollets Karate Academy in Dubbo graded to 6th Dan in UKB. Both candidates were graded by their teacher Pat McKean 10th Dan UKB.

As stated in the previous post #19, we will cover Koshiki competitors from the past and this will be an opportunity to perhaps interview former koshiki competitor Scott Boyd 6th Dan UKB from Pollets Karate Academy Dubbo. Please keep your facebook social media active for news or send your information via private messaging.

Kerrie Mee
27th September 2016, 10:15
Hi Matt
As you seem to have a lot of information and curiosity regarding the koshiki system, I am wondering what your connection may be. As you know, my profile and the Kenkokan page is available for public view on Facebook. I'm wondering if you would care to share your history and / or interest in koshiki.

Also, as you have requested above, could you please ensure that your facts are correct prior to posting. Nigel McReaddie HAS NOT been graded to 8th Dan in the UKB system.

Thank you,
Kerrie Mee

mw17
6th October 2016, 02:26
Thank you for the update. Yes totally agree on your comment re correct facts. There seems to be some misinterpretation/confusion regarding Nigel Sensei's 8th Dan grading.

He stated on Social Media on the 7th July ......"During my recent grading examination under Hanshi Patrick McKean 10th Dan, the kata I performed was Kudakano Seisan". "Buki-ho from my recent grading test (Gorin no Jo - clavical, jaw, forearm, bicep, sternum, bladder, pereneal, femeral, tibial and superficial pereneal strikes, or high middle and low attacks from defensive tactics)".

Matt White

mw17
11th October 2016, 06:13
Congratulations to both Jim Griffin and Tony Fletcher of the Shorinjiryu Koshinkai Karate Australia in representing Australia at the 30th Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai Karate tournament in New York recently.

Jim Griffin 7th Dan Kyoshi, and Max Estens 7th Dan Kyoshi are the Chief Instructors of the Shorinjiryu Koshinkai in Australia. Both Jim and Max were students of Hanshi Phil Hooper 9th Dan (IRKRS), and Hanshi Scott Brown 9th Dan (IRKRS) respectively. Both Phil and Scott were notable National and International WKKF Koshiki Champions & Pioneers of Koshiki.

Jim Griffin Kyoshi was a consistent WKKF Koshiki fighter in Australia during his younger days, and it’s wonderful to hear him still competing in these events, his first in 25 years placing 2nd in kata (Kusanku Dai) and 1st in Weapons. The tournament was hosted by Hanshi Myron Lubitsch 9th Dan in New York.
Tony performed splendidly also, placing 4th in Kata and 2nd in Weapons. Particularly, Tony demonstrated his adaptation of the Shishiryu no Bo kata, using the eku (oar) that he has worked on for the past year.

Other notable Karateka at the tournament included Kaicho Watanabe Shunji 9th Dan Hanshi, a direct student of Hisataka Kori. Watanabe sensei is the head of the Shorinjiryu Kenyukai Watanabe-Ha Federation.

Again, thank you for the information & congratulations Jim and Tony.

mw17
20th October 2016, 03:53
It was decided, so as not to cause confusion with the traditional Gendai Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo style the founding school of WKKF (Koshiki), this Gendai Budo Karate subject on “Koshiki History in Australia, its Pioneers, Noteworthy Champions, Administration Officials and Competitors” will be transferred to the Non-traditional karate section of this sub forum.

Chris Green
1st November 2017, 11:30
Thank you for compiling a very interesting discussion regarding Koshiki in Australia. I see you have listed Scott Brown as a "Champion" of Koshiki. When I was competing in Koshiki in the 80s and 90s, I remember Scott Brown being at quite a few tournaments as a referee or official. I was curious as to his actual Koshiki tournament experience.

Also, I remember a lot of turmoil regarding the expelling of Pat McKean from Australia Koshiki Association. Then Hanshi Hisataka and WKKF deregistering or cutting all ties with this organisation. Is it correct that Hanshi Hisataka then transferred all support to Pat McKean, Scott Brown and the new organisation? And then the old AKA group, no longer had international recognition, so what happened to them ?

mw17
29th December 2022, 01:18
ASIA & OCEANIA

ROKUDAN RENSHI (6th Degree Red & White Belt)
Shihan Laurence VANIKERK
Shihan Scott BROWN
Shihan Masaaki ENOMOTO
GODAN KENGO (5th Degree Black Belt)
Shihan Philip HOOPER
Shihan Shaun O’LEARY
Shihan Pat McKEAN
Shihan Pierre INGRASSIA
Shihan Andrew RILEY
YONDAN KENSHI (4th Degree Black Belt)
Shihan Richard BRAYANT
Shihan Chris KLIESE
Shihan Mark VANNIEKERK
Shihan Gram BERDEN
Shihan Nigel McREADDIE
Shihan Nick KING
SANDAN SHUSHI (3rd Degree Black Belt)
Sensei Gordon KLIESE
Sensei Jim GRIFFIN
Sensei Tom GRIFFIN
Sensei Aashish KUWAWARA
Sensei Richard A BRAWN
Sensei Alexander CHAMBER
Sensei Des PAROZ
Sensei Matt REILLY
Sensei Sherri EGBERT
Sensei Darren BUTLER
Sensei Nissim TSE
Sensei Benoid DESCORNTRENX
Sensei Alli WORR
Sensei Alex MOSCOVIS
Sensei Joseph LEE.

Congratulations to Andrew Riley in Brisbane who now joins the ranks of fellow Australians Laurie Vanniekerk 6th Dan Renshi and Scott Brown 6th Dan Renshi in Shorinjiryu Kenkokan. Andrew was recently promoted to 6th Dan Renshi in Japan. Scott Brown continues to teach Shorinjiryu Kenkokan in his private dojo in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. Scott continues to return to Japan (outside covid-19) for training & was last graded in Japan on the 09/10/1999 to the rank of 6th Renshi by his teacher Masayuki Hisataka. Laurie has since retired from teaching. Shorinjiryu Kenkokan and Koshiki are linked.