PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Los Angeles

TakashiKoga
11th October 2014, 18:48
Hello all -

I live in Los Angeles and began training in Muso Shinden Ryu under the late Rev. Kensho Furuya Sensei in 2003. I took a 3 year hiatus to go back to grad school and will be returning to training next week.

I'm looking forward to learning from the members here and, when I can, contributing to the conversation as well.

Thank you and enjoy your weekend, everyone.

Takashi

Brian Owens
12th October 2014, 07:31
Welcome to E-Budo, Takashi-san.

Cady Goldfield
12th October 2014, 14:32
Welcome, Takashi, and best wishes for your continued path of budo training.

Many here will likely remember the Rev. Furuya's contributions as an insightful columnist for Martial Arts Training magazine, and other venues.

We hope you enjoy participating on E-Budo!

TakashiKoga
12th October 2014, 23:07
Thank you for the warm welcome, guys!

pgsmith
13th October 2014, 01:45
Welcome to e-budo, and welcome back to training! It has been my experience that very few of the folks that take a hiatus ever return to training, so it's good to hear. Let us know how it goes!

TakashiKoga
13th October 2014, 02:23
Welcome to e-budo, and welcome back to training! It has been my experience that very few of the folks that take a hiatus ever return to training, so it's good to hear. Let us know how it goes!

Thank you Paul, I will indeed.

Furuya Sensei always told us that iaido is particularly difficult to return to after some time off, because you tend to lose your skills very quickly. He'd often say, "Taking a week off of iaido training requires two weeks to get back to the level before you stopped...taking a year off takes two years to return to the same level," etc. I hope he was exaggerating... ;)

Cady Goldfield
13th October 2014, 02:32
There is also the "bicycle theory," however: that you never really forget what you've learned, and once you get back on the bike, it comes back to you quickly. ;)

TakashiKoga
13th October 2014, 18:30
There is also the "bicycle theory," however: that you never really forget what you've learned, and once you get back on the bike, it comes back to you quickly. ;)

Let's hope you're right!