PDA

View Full Version : Don "Doc " Cunningham

Black and Blue
29th November 2014, 17:16
Don passed away in Radford VA last evening surrounded by his closest family and friends.Don had been teaching at Radford University from 2002 until retiring in 2012.Don lived for many years in Japan and was All Marine Corps Judo Champion in 1971.Don held senior ranking in Judo, Ju Jutsu and Kendo. He is well know for his three books on Taiho Jutsu and for being a leading expert in that field.He donated several rare pieces from his taiho- jutsu collection to museums in the North East.
Don was just awarded the Black Belt Hall of Fame Weapons Instructor of the Year 2014 in the December issue.I had the pleasure of hosting seminars with Don and becoming his Eastern North American Representative for his organization Edo Machikata Taiho-Jutsu.Don was also a member of the "Biker Brotherhood" as a member of the Ronin Knights Motorcycle Riding Club.He enjoyed riding the mountain roads and cruised out to Sturgis two years ago.We shared many miles and rode for the last time together last summer in Natural Bridge VA.Don leaves behind many friends and students all over the world.You will be missed my Brother.RIP
Phil Scudieri

www.DelawareBudokan.net

www.RoninKnightsRC.org

TonyU
29th November 2014, 20:17
R.I.P. Mr. Cunningham.

Robert G
30th November 2014, 01:47
rip Don you were a great friend and I will miss our conversations.

cxt
1st December 2014, 11:48
Deeply saddened to hear of his passing.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Cady Goldfield
1st December 2014, 13:31
Sad news, but thank you for announcing it here.
My deepest condolences to Don Cunningham's family, friends, students and colleagues.

DustyMars
2nd December 2014, 11:39
R.I.P Don. Will miss our conversations of many years.

Hissho
4th December 2014, 10:49
Kinda E-budo history there. RIP Don.

estcrh
5th December 2014, 05:22
Don's books on samurai weapons and their judicial system were great gifts to us all, if you have not read them I would suggest doing so.