PDA

View Full Version : Announcing the Publication of Old School, an Expanded 2nd Edition

Ellis Amdur
27th December 2014, 06:35
I'm happy to announce the publication of Old School: Essays on Japanese Martial Traditions - Expanded Edition (http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/).
From the publisher:

Koryū, literally, ‘old flow from the past,’ refers to Japanese martial traditions that predate the sweeping cultural changes that followed the Meiji Restoration of 1868. They generally have a very different character and tone from modern martial arts, such as kendō, judō or aikidō which followed. More than the study of antique weapons, self-defense or a form of athletics, these martial traditions are a cultural legacy and a window to another time and place.

In the first edition of Old School, Ellis Amdur, a renowned martial arts researcher, and himself an instructor in two different surviving koryū, gave readers a rare glimpse into feudal Japanese warrior arts, both as they were in the past and as they live on today. Nearly a decade later, he returns to the subject in this new, greatly expanded edition, bringing readers inside the dojōs of a number ancient schools, providing details analysis of the evolution and morphology of uniquely Japanese weaponry, addressing the myth and reality of Japan's naginata-wielding warrior women, and discussing the modern relevance of the blood oaths, magical ritual and mysticism that often permeate the koryū. Finally, he looks at the challenge of preservation and transmission, especially as more and more practitioners of the koryū exist outside of Japan itself.

Writing with a combination of the initiate’s passion for his subject, and the scientist’s rigorous search for the truth, Amdur asks critically: do the ancient traditions still meet the objectives of their founders? Are they successfully passing their ancient legacy down to the next generation?

Over a third larger than the first edition and filled with new artwork and photography, Old School: Japanese Martial Traditions Expanded Edition will be an invaluable addition to the library of old readers and new alike.

pgsmith
30th December 2014, 18:55
Thanks for the heads up Ellis. Of course, it came just a little late for me to put it on my Christmas list .... :)

Dean Whittle
1st January 2015, 02:38
Order placed, I look forward to reading it.

With respect

Ellis Amdur
1st January 2015, 09:45
Thank you. If you - or anyone else - has questions about anything in the book, please feel free to post them in this sub-forum.

P Goldsbury
8th February 2015, 04:25
Hello Ellis,

I have just ordered a signed copy of the book. Actually, the shipping costs were more than the price of the book. So please sign it nicely. :D

Best wishes,

PAG

Ellis Amdur
8th February 2015, 07:49
With my best hanko

P Goldsbury
14th February 2015, 07:22
Ellis,

I had an ex-mail exchange with the publisher and enquired when I could expect to receive it. The response was not what I expected, since it was not clear whether the book was yet actually in stock. With Amazon, it is very clear whether the book is in stock or not and this usually influences the mailing charges I select. Perhaps I have grown too accustomed to the high standards of Amazon.co.jp.

Anyway, I look forward to receiving it.

Ellis Amdur
14th February 2015, 23:39
Peter - it is in stock. And should be shipping out or already shipped.

Ellis

B.Finn
15th February 2015, 01:56
Hmm - I placed an order on the third of Jan and am yet to receive it..

I received an email on Jan 5 saying my 'order was back ordered' whatever that means.

Also FWIW to anyone - there is a discount of $10 off the ebook to purchasers of the hard copy. I grew tired of waiting and emailed asking about that discount, where I could obtain a discount code etc, having purchased the hard copy, and was told the ebook must be ordered at the same time as the book in order to obtain the discount.

In the end I gave up and purchased the ebook for the full price - a wonderful book and well worth the price, I was planning on posting a small review when I have the time. Great job Mr Amdur!

Dean Whittle
15th February 2015, 04:20
After ordering the book on NYE, I've received an email today that it has been shipped, so hopefully it will make it's way Down Under shortly.

With respect

B.Finn
15th February 2015, 04:28
Nice - cheers mate; having bought the ebook I'm in no real rush, I figured it will arrive sometime

Ellis Amdur
15th February 2015, 05:44
Why the delay? The book was at the printer and 100 advanced copies already in hand (digital). The off-set bulk printing was at the front of the queue when we found an error. Some mistakes are misprints, but this one - even though a single error of a few words, was serious enough that we stopped the print run - thankfully catching things the day before. It was a simple matter to edit the proof, but the printer specializes in academic texts, due for school year, and we were bumped to the back of the queue. Those who purchased the signed copy in advance therefore got the notice of a 'back-order.'
Which is now resolved. Thanks for everyone's patience. And for those who weren't particularly patient, for your forbearance.

Best
Ellis Amdur

mkrueger
17th February 2015, 19:29
I just wanted to give Freelance Academy Press recognition. I live in a area with unique delivery challenges and they took it upon themselves to upgrade my shipping at no additional cost to myself to ensure that my shipment arrived safely.

That's quite a respectable step for them to take and have earned significant customer loyalty for it.

Ellis Amdur
27th February 2015, 16:12
The signed editions have all sold out. Both bound and e-book versions are available. Of course, we are beginning to find all the typos that slipped by both ourselves and our editor/readers. Furthermore, I continue to get new information on a variety of subjects. So we intend to have a page up on the publisher's site to post errata (which will be corrected in the next print run) as well as new information as it turns up.

StephenBaker
27th February 2015, 20:06
Mr. Amdur, this book is awesome. I have received my signed copy and read it cover to cover twice! I also loved the first edition. The update and expansion really provided a ton of material for deeper consideration. I am now trying to figure out how to ask the right questions "inside" to follow up on your observations. Thanks again for such a great resource.

Stephen Baker

Ellis Amdur
28th February 2015, 05:55
Stephen - Thank you.
Feel free to ask any questions or points of discussion here or in another thread.
Ellis Amdur

P Goldsbury
2nd March 2015, 11:11
Hello Ellis,

The book arrived today, but I think I will wait until I return from Europe before reading it. As you know, I need time to give your martial arts books the critical attention they deserve. Actually, I am waiting for Oleg Benesch's new book on bushido to arrive. I have read good things about this book.

Hissho
2nd March 2015, 19:28
Matthew

They did the opposite to me, telling me I needed to upgrade for additional dollars to ensure my book got there safely. It was a bit off-putting, actually.

StephenBaker
2nd March 2015, 23:07
I had the same experience. I was also asked for additional money to ensure safe delivery.

Matthew

They did the opposite to me, telling me I needed to upgrade for additional dollars to ensure my book got there safely. It was a bit off-putting, actually.

P Goldsbury
2nd March 2015, 23:31
After ordering the book on NYE, I've received an email today that it has been shipped, so hopefully it will make it's way Down Under shortly.

With respect

Hello Dean,

Which mailing option did you choose? I chose the quickest and most expensive option.

I went to the post office yesterday to collect the book, for I was away in Tokyo and they could not deliver it, and the documentation (US postal service) indicated that the package could be tracked. However, I received no tracking code and so I could not find out where the book was. For me tracking is quite important, since a large company like Amazon chooses a variety of local companies to make the final delivery: DHL, Sagawa, Yamato, as well as the Japanese postal service. Since I have lived here for so long, I know all the local companies and usually make my own arrangements for delivery of the package.

I suppose it is no big deal, but I was hoping that a small publisher like Freelance Academy Press could offer a more personal service than a monolith like Amazon -- and I would be willing to pay.

Best wishes,

PAG

Hissho
2nd March 2015, 23:57
I just decided that since I know the author, maybe I'll just pay him directly for one...;)

Ellis Amdur
3rd March 2015, 05:45
Just so all know, I have no copies to sell. Everything goes through the publisher. And I've tried to keep out of the entire issue of shipping and the like. It's my understanding that there have been some <notices> given to those who live in Alaska and Hawaii, because if one orders media mail, it goes by boat. So people were told of the costs of air delivery. But seriously, beyond that, I've no idea how things are shipped, and by what means.

Ellis Amdur

Dean Whittle
14th March 2015, 22:49
Peter,

Thank you, I've received the book now, the publishers indicated that the delay was the result of a last minute re-print.

Ellis,

No doubt like many other readers I tucked into Chapters 1 and 12 first. Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu has held a fascination for me since I first saw The Way of the Warrior back in the 80s and I’ve subsequently read many articles and books, seen much footage of the school and even communicated with a practitioner for a while. So I was amazed at your revelation about the standardization of the curriculum by Hayashi Yazaemon stemming from the variance taught by different shihan. And then I was glad I was sitting down when you revealed the existence of the Noda-ha Katori Shinto ryu, and the fact that it has sections of curriculum no longer taught in the mainline.

Your respectful disclosures reminded me of Stanley Pranin’s work in revealing the truth about the depth of influence Daito ryu had on the creation of Ueshiba’s Aikido which significantly contradicted the Aiki-Kai’s stance.

Thank you for reworking what was already such a wonderful book with additional insight. I’m looking forward to the publication of the 2nd edition of Duelling with O’Sensei, a book that I regularly revisit.

With respect

nicojo
29th March 2015, 20:57
I got my copy of Old School 2.0 just this weekend and have enjoyed it very much. The quality of the pictures and print type alone make it a significant upgrade from the first run. But more than this, the expanded information is outstanding and I highly recommend it, whether one has the first edition or has not read Ellis Amdur's work before. And Freelance got it to me quite quickly with no issues. I missed out on a signed copy, but am very happy to have this one.