PDA

View Full Version : Does any one KNOW?

Omar Garcia
31st March 2001, 21:41
For the past 3 weeks I have been looking for a samurai related art or Koryu in or
around the Bay Area of San Francisco. I am interested in a traditional art that
practices empty hand techniques as well as the sword, knife, staff, throwing blades,
naginata etc. If any one has any information I would appreciate it.
Omar

MarkF
1st April 2001, 11:01
You might try Guy H. Power. He is just outside of San Jose, and should be able to help.

http://rudy.bay-ad.com/~guypower/kenshinkan/

Ask if he can help yu find traditional (koryu) training in the Bay Area. You will probably need to do more than one MA for your purposes, but you will not find Samurai today, that is for sure.

Otherwise, use the search words Bay Area Koryu. You may want to start with something like judo, karate, or Aikido, then move into a weapons-based art, other than weapons from either of these three.

MarkF
1st April 2001, 11:03
BTW: You will probably get more results if you post this in the Sword forum or Koryu General forum. This is the Gendai, or Modern budo forum.

Yojimbo558
1st April 2001, 21:26
Omar,

Hi there! If you're interested go to winjutsu.com there you'll see the Bujinkan yellow pages and can look up Dale Saego in San Francisco.

Bujinkan is a system that's composed of 9 different schools, 3 of them are ninjutsu schools with the others being specifically what you're looking for.

Bujinkan teaches hand to hand and a host of Japanese weapons, Naginata, tachi, shoto, jo, bo, yari, tanto, shuriken, kyoketsu shoge, etc....It's a wonderful system, that I've enjoyed and hopefully one that you will as well.

Eric Bookin