PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto Musashi and "Internal" Swordsmanship

Cady Goldfield
27th April 2015, 16:56
There are some direct (and some subtle) references that seem to point to some of the factors necessary for internal structure and power, in a description of proper posture and demeanor by legendary 17th-century swordsman Miyamoto Musashi,:

“The face is calm, neither turned upwards, downwards or to the side; the eyes slightly closed without movement of the eyeballs; the brow unwrinkled; the eyebrows slightly gathered, the bridge of the nose straight; the chin neither stuck out or drawn in too much; the nape of the neck equally straight and the spinal column full of energy. Below the dropped shoulders the body is perfectly relaxed; the spinal column is in place; the buttocks drawn in; the legs, from the knees to the ankles are firmly set on the ground; the hips are not twisted; the stomach is firmly shaped.”

Interesting to consider, at least.

hyaku
4th September 2015, 01:14
There are some direct (and some subtle) references that seem to point to some of the factors necessary for internal structure and power, in a description of proper posture and demeanor by legendary 17th-century swordsman Miyamoto Musashi,:

“The face is calm, neither turned upwards, downwards or to the side; the eyes slightly closed without movement of the eyeballs; the brow unwrinkled; the eyebrows slightly gathered, the bridge of the nose straight; the chin neither stuck out or drawn in too much; the nape of the neck equally straight and the spinal column full of energy. Below the dropped shoulders the body is perfectly relaxed; the spinal column is in place; the buttocks drawn in; the legs, from the knees to the ankles are firmly set on the ground; the hips are not twisted; the stomach is firmly shaped.”

Interesting to consider, at least.

We do try to incorperate it into practice. The posture is not too difficult with a very low stance. Took me quite a while to relax my shoulders in a hasso kamae as I was forced to push my left hand up to the right ear. About the only thing noticeable is strong metsuke.

gendzwil
4th September 2015, 15:12
That's a reasonable explanation of a good kendo kamae too. Relax your upper body, keep your posture straight, any tension should be in the core and lower body. It takes a long time to learn to relax.