PDA

View Full Version : Schools and Techniques

Gogita9x
3rd April 2001, 13:21
Hello people,

Being that you guys are martial arts practicioners and way more experienmced and knowledgeable than me I have some questions .

In your specific martial art do you have techniques like atemi/atemiwaza and kyusho/kyushowaza? Meridian and nerve strikes, percussive blows, and bone breaking?

Could you tell me some good schools in tennessee and mississippi and some good training supplement books where i could learn atemiwaza and kyushowaza(atemi and kyusho)?

cu_ulad
3rd April 2001, 18:04
the art i study is shinto yoshin ryu jiu-jitsu

we are about 50/50 striking/grappling. the system works around the theory of: "stop, shock, takedown and control" and in line w/ that theory we strike ALWAYS!

we do a good amount of striking vital areas and meridians, as well as "cutting" into vital points while grappling.

we take striking from any/all other arts, so long as there's a practical/useful in REAL combat, and so our strikes very anywhere from japanese/okinawan, boxing, chinese, etc. we do the same w/ our grappling, so there's a lot of wrestling or whatever (again, so long as it's practical)

we also "cross train" w/ other systems, for example, we train w/ the shorin ryu system and pick up devastating striking techniques, we train w/ kuntao and arnis, which also provides for devastating strikes.

any other questions or comments, please let me know

p.s. - your signature quote, jinx quoting the blind master, yes?

MarkF
4th April 2001, 13:42
Mr. Boyd,
Since you have asked these same questions in the Aikido Forum, I am curious as to what it is you want of some of us? Most MA include these waza, including Kodokan judo, Danzan ryu jujusu, and various styles of jujutsu, koryu and gendai. You may try kito ryu or tenjin shinyo ryu jujutsu, as well as Daito Ryu Aikibudo (aikijujutsu).

Are you looking for somewhere to train, or are you looking for information? If the answer is one or the other, or both, a quick search of the net on Google.com or dogpile.com, or mamma, and a great many others.

On the other hand, there are some who mayanswer your question, but a library or the Internet will yield more information, but asking the people of this forum usually comes at you in pieces, with opinions, so the question would still be what it is you seek?

Sincerely,
Mark

Gogita9x
4th April 2001, 19:06
James ,

Sounds like your school is a practical one. I like the emphasis on prqactical combat applications ... are there any schools in TN or surrounding states?
Or would it have to be in FL?
You got that quote right as well, I practice Transcendental Meditation and well I feel that quote is truth as far as the aspect goes.

Mark,

Basically I am looking for a school that is less sport oriented(I have trained several of those and not what i was looking for, but discipline helped), but more of something that is combat oriented.

Few techniques but very practical in real fighting.
But most of the schools in that I know of are sport- or not as no nonsense combat oriented.

Pretty much the gist of it

thanks for your information
Kai Boyd

Greg Jennings
4th April 2001, 23:38
Hi Mark, I answered you over on the Aikido forum.

Originally posted by Gogita9x
Basically I am looking for ...<snip>... something that is combat oriented.

Check this URL http://www.usmc.mil/ . It's combat oriented.

With respect to sport orientation, almost all Aikido styles have no competition at all.

Aikido has a pervasive ethical foundation. Sounds like that would turn you off being into the "practical".

OTOH, if you are into TM, then perhaps you might like Aikido. It's been described as "moving Zen" although the Founder of Aikido was much more into the "fullness" of Shinto/Omotokyo versus the "emptiness" of Zen.

Here are some URLs:
http://www.aikidoonline.com/shid_lb0301.html
http://www.aikiweb.com/
http://www.aikidofaq.com/

Here are some pictures:

http://www.aikiweb.com/multimedia/sensei/
The Sensei in the top is the head of the style that I study. The second from the top is/was (long story) Steven Seagal's Sensei.

http://24.12.212.64/taijutsu_1.html
This is of my instructor throwing me with a wrist turn out.

http://24.12.212.64/taijutsu_8.html
This is me returning the favor with an entering throw.

Sincerely,

Gogita9x
5th April 2001, 05:15
Greg ,

Now the other links are informative.
But join the military, nah. True I'd like to go through the marine special forces and navy SEAL combat trianing(heard it was pretty practical), but I cannot sign my life and free will over a country I have no loyalty to and I dont intend on fighting for.

No way... but thanks for the information.

Mark Jakabcsin
5th April 2001, 12:01
"...but I cannot sign my life and free will over a country I have no loyalty to and I dont intend on fighting for. "

But I imagine you are the first in line for free handouts from said country and probably cry the loudest that you never get enough. If you don't like it here please leave!

mark

Gogita9x
5th April 2001, 12:45
Mark, before you make assaults on my character you need to KNOW me first.

I said I would not fight for this country. That is true. Neither will I agree to fight for any country. I will only fight for my family, loved ones and myself.

And you seem to be quite judgemental on saying ehat actions I take and how I behave. Especially since we have never met.

Or are you just one of those people who like to make ASSumptions based on one or two statements.

I have complained of nothing and I work hard for everything I get. I do not ask for handouts nor do I want them. I grew up in an urban ghetto and I improved myself through God's blessing and my own hard work.

True I do think that SOME in the country and world dont get treated fairly, but that is out of respect for general humankind. I also understand in life that crap happens.

So Mark please clarify the fact that I am a complainer and that I get handouts from that one statement I made.

Or better yet why don't we meet and discuss our lifestyles. So you can understand me as a person.

I never said "I dont like the U.S." . I said "I will not fight for this country." How are those two statements alike.

Last time I checked when you sign up for the military, they own you. Which would be another way of the government taking away a part of my free will.

I give my loyalty to individual persons based on individual merit. Not to a general group of people most of whom I have never met.

So if the U.S. goes to fight in the mideast or somewhere else, will you be the first over there to fight for your country?

If so that's your choice not mine.

And if you want me to leave, feel free to pay for my transport costs, passport costs, living costs, arrange for me a job and all other aspects of my moving to another country.

Thank you and God Bless you.

Novice guy from TN

Greg Jennings
5th April 2001, 15:36
Originally posted by Gogita9x

Now the other links are informative.

You're welcome.

But join the military, nah.

Well, you mentioned "combat oriented" ;) .

Humor aside, my training is very practical and very relevant to my life (typical US Suburbia). For me, training for "combat" would be Walter Middy-ish.

If you require combat skills on a daily basis, I suggest Practical Shooting as a more relevant form of martial art. The newer courses that combine pistol and shotgun are a lot of fun, if nothing else.

Regards,

Mark Jakabcsin
5th April 2001, 23:58
“I said I would not fight for this country. That is true. Neither will I agree to fight for any country. I will only fight for my family, loved ones and myself. “

and

“I give my loyalty to individual persons based on individual merit. Not to a general group of people most of whom I have never met.”

Mr. Boyd,

By your words I understand that your view on life is that you are only concerned with the immediate world around. You don’t care or recognize the fact that you are a PART of a greater society. You don’t feel that society provides you with anything and don’t feel a responsibility or obligation to society. That is your right, however, shortsighted and shallow. Everything you have, everything you do, everything that your family has and does is only possible due to the success of our society and nation. I believe a large part of budo is accepting our responsibility to the greater society not denying it or hiding from it.

“I have complained of nothing and I work hard for everything I get.. I do not ask for handouts nor do I want them.”

Hard work is certainly what our country is built upon and I am glad that your efforts have been successful. However, to believe that your work alone is the sole reason for your success is shortsighted. Work hard in China and all you get is hard work. Whether you ask for handouts or not you receive a tremendous amount from country and society. You have a safe environment in which your hard work CAN lead to personal success. You have personal freedoms that you TAKE full advantage of, like posting on net and speaking your mind. You can worship in any religion you like, etc, etc. Each of these ‘handouts’ that you take advantage of comes at a price to maintain.

“And you seem to be quite judgemental on saying ehat actions I take and how I behave. Especially since we have never met.

Or are you just one of those people who like to make ASSumptions based on one or two statements. “

To enjoy the freedoms that society offers then to flat out deny your responsibility to the society (large family) that you live in speaks volumes to me. The old argument on the net that ‘you don’t know me because you haven’t met me so you shouldn’t really take what I write at face value’ just seems rather weak to me. Write what you mean and mean what you write. Your very words defending your position prove to me that my assUmption is highly accurate.

“Or better yet why don't we meet and discuss our lifestyles. So you can understand me as a person.”

I feel no need to meet you, I doubt it would be quality use of my time. However, if you feel the burning need to meet me then contact me off-line and you can drive to the Carolinas.
“I never said "I dont like the U.S." . I said "I will not fight for this country." How are those two statements alike. “

Simple, if you won’t fight for your country that is because you don’t find anything worth fighting for. Yet you take full advantage of all that our country has to offer. Seems hypocritical to me and that is why I posted to begin with.

“Last time I checked when you sign up for the military, they own you. Which would be another way of the government taking away a part of my free will. “

This is probably where we disagree the most. You see giving up some of your freedoms to defend society as somehow evil or wrong. I personally see giving up my freedoms to serve others as a noble endeavor. Is there a greater nobility than to serve others at a cost to yourself? To protect and serve the society that has given me so much doesn’t seem wrong to me in the slightest. I see all of this playing into budo, what about you?

“So if the U.S. goes to fight in the mideast or somewhere else, will you be the first over there to fight for your country? “

Yep! I have served in the military and if needed would go back without hesitation. To clarify, I am NOT saying that one must serve in the military to meet their obligation to protect our society, however, I believe that one must be WILLING to serve if they are able. Furthermore, there are many opportunities in which to meet this obligation for those that are not physically able. WWII would have been very different if not for the tremendous industrial might created by women in this country. While their efforts are frequently forgot they truly meet their obligation.

“And if you want me to leave, feel free to pay for my transport costs, passport costs, living costs, arrange for me a job and all other aspects of my moving to another country. “

I thought you didn’t ask for handouts. You deserve to live in a society and country that you find something worth fighting for. Since the US doesn’t live up to your expectations you should look elsewhere.

mark

ps. If you would like to continue this discussion I suggest you message me privately rather than jam up the jujutsu board, however, note that I will be away from computer access for a several days starting tomorrow.

Tom Ryan
8th April 2001, 21:22
Originally posted by Mark Jakabcsin
“I said I would not fight for this country. That is true. Neither will I agree to fight for any country. I will only fight for my family, loved ones and myself. “

and

“I give my loyalty to individual persons based on individual merit. Not to a general group of people most of whom I have never met.”

Mr. Boyd,

I am new to this but surprised at your answers. It is a privilege to be here. Many of my friends have died so you could be here, have a computer, and say what you want freely. Why would someone who has knowledge what to pass it on with you?

No one owes you anything, you have to earn the right through action to get the upper insights into all MA

Tom Ryan

Mr. Boyd,

By your words I understand that your view on life is that you are only concerned with the immediate world around. You don’t care or recognize the fact that you are a PART of a greater society. You don’t feel that society provides you with anything and don’t feel a responsibility or obligation to society. That is your right, however, shortsighted and shallow. Everything you have, everything you do, everything that your family has and does is only possible due to the success of our society and nation. I believe a large part of budo is accepting our responsibility to the greater society not denying it or hiding from it.

“I have complained of nothing and I work hard for everything I get.. I do not ask for handouts nor do I want them.”

Hard work is certainly what our country is built upon and I am glad that your efforts have been successful. However, to believe that your work alone is the sole reason for your success is shortsighted. Work hard in China and all you get is hard work. Whether you ask for handouts or not you receive a tremendous amount from country and society. You have a safe environment in which your hard work CAN lead to personal success. You have personal freedoms that you TAKE full advantage of, like posting on net and speaking your mind. You can worship in any religion you like, etc, etc. Each of these ‘handouts’ that you take advantage of comes at a price to maintain.

“And you seem to be quite judgemental on saying ehat actions I take and how I behave. Especially since we have never met.

Or are you just one of those people who like to make ASSumptions based on one or two statements. “

To enjoy the freedoms that society offers then to flat out deny your responsibility to the society (large family) that you live in speaks volumes to me. The old argument on the net that ‘you don’t know me because you haven’t met me so you shouldn’t really take what I write at face value’ just seems rather weak to me. Write what you mean and mean what you write. Your very words defending your position prove to me that my assUmption is highly accurate.

“Or better yet why don't we meet and discuss our lifestyles. So you can understand me as a person.”

I feel no need to meet you, I doubt it would be quality use of my time. However, if you feel the burning need to meet me then contact me off-line and you can drive to the Carolinas.
“I never said "I dont like the U.S." . I said "I will not fight for this country." How are those two statements alike. “

Simple, if you won’t fight for your country that is because you don’t find anything worth fighting for. Yet you take full advantage of all that our country has to offer. Seems hypocritical to me and that is why I posted to begin with.

“Last time I checked when you sign up for the military, they own you. Which would be another way of the government taking away a part of my free will. “

This is probably where we disagree the most. You see giving up some of your freedoms to defend society as somehow evil or wrong. I personally see giving up my freedoms to serve others as a noble endeavor. Is there a greater nobility than to serve others at a cost to yourself? To protect and serve the society that has given me so much doesn’t seem wrong to me in the slightest. I see all of this playing into budo, what about you?

“So if the U.S. goes to fight in the mideast or somewhere else, will you be the first over there to fight for your country? “

Yep! I have served in the military and if needed would go back without hesitation. To clarify, I am NOT saying that one must serve in the military to meet their obligation to protect our society, however, I believe that one must be WILLING to serve if they are able. Furthermore, there are many opportunities in which to meet this obligation for those that are not physically able. WWII would have been very different if not for the tremendous industrial might created by women in this country. While their efforts are frequently forgot they truly meet their obligation.

“And if you want me to leave, feel free to pay for my transport costs, passport costs, living costs, arrange for me a job and all other aspects of my moving to another country. “

I thought you didn’t ask for handouts. You deserve to live in a society and country that you find something worth fighting for. Since the US doesn’t live up to your expectations you should look elsewhere.

mark

ps. If you would like to continue this discussion I suggest you message me privately rather than jam up the jujutsu board, however, note that I will be away from computer access for a several days starting tomorrow.

Davemdh
10th April 2001, 04:57
Dear Mr. Jacobson, Your country has an awful habit of arming poor and largely uneducated countrys then getting uppity when said country gets a little rowdy. Then the guys in the white house, get your brave young men and women suited and booted (after making sure all the cheques for the guns have been honoured by the issuing bank) and send them off to do thier dirty work.
Personally, while I am prepared to die for a cause in which I believe, I do not include someone else fight as one such cause. And before you tell me I wouldnt know what a good cause was, I am living 40 minutes away from a war of independance that has been going on for most of this century.

Dave

Gogita9x
10th April 2001, 11:28
Mr Jakabcsin,

Well I am happy that you have loyalty to your country. I respect that you do. That is your prerogative and philosophy so I have no qualms about that. It is your business.

However I will continue to live my life as I please. Do you know the reasons that you go to war for your country? I do not fight anyone else's wars. As far as I have studied history, after WWII most of the wars the U.S. has been in had nothing to do with a country attacking us. We try to be the worldwide 'big brother' to everybody else.

Mark my words, all of us who live here are going to suffer because the U.S. government cannot seem to let other countries fight theri own wars. True I know they send troops over to spread their ideals, but let those other countries have their battles, we have issues at home that are not resolved. Charity does begin at home.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Boyd,

I am new to this but surprised at your answers. It is a privilege to be here. Many of my friends have died so you could be here, have a computer, and say what you want freely. Why would someone who has knowledge what to pass it on with you?

No one owes you anything, you have to earn the right through action to get the upper insights into all MA

Tom Ryan

Mr,Ryan

Being I do not know your background, I cannot say who your friends might be. And I do think it honorable that your friends gave their lives for others for whatever reason. I have no disrespect for that. But my ancestors and others had to fight the U.S. government to get basic rights. My grandparents and older relatives marched with Dr. King and the mixed races of people to get rights for minorities. The North may not have fought for slaves directly but in winning the civil war they emancipated them.
Those things I respect. But I fight my battles on a more personal basis. Why should I fight for a country who wont even adopt capital punishment to keep me safe from crime. And if I kill the criminal who is trying to attack me then I may be prosecuted. Why should I fight for a country whose last couple of wars were for their reasons only. To stop communism in Vietnam and Korea and the main communist country collapsed upon itself.
Why should I fight for a country who sends money to the homeless in other countries, but we have homeless children here who dont get much.
And those same people that the U.S. is sending money to , if we have a third world war, will they fight on our side? Probably not.

As far as someone's knowledge being passed through me, I worked for all the knowledge I have. I do my own research but i like to hear others opinions as well. Because the more cross references you make, the closer you get to the truth. I have trained in several different MA's on and off for six years now. Shotokan 2yrs in a row, TKD 2 yrs in a row and JKD and Kajukenbo a coupla months in the summer for a couple of years.
You dont have to give me a thing Mr. Ryan. But then there are those who will. I have friends who are kindred spirits, and we will contnue to have our philosophy as you have yours. We do have anything against people who are loyal to U.S. or the U.S. itself. We just choose not to fight. Bill Clinton chose not to, but does that make him a bad person. He improved the chances to make a living and get an education for those of us who were born dirt poor.

Dave,

I admire your beliefs. And mine though they may not be the same, are near enough to yours for me to understand. Dave keep your spirit and idealism, those are good things.

Novice TN Guy