PDA

View Full Version : Kenjutsu Techniques Document

BushidoPractice
19th June 2016, 20:44
Hello,

I wanted to ask people if there is a good place (or, source) to find papers/pictures of basic kata and techniques for Kenjutsu.

I've looked all over the internet, to no avail. I just wanted to look at or study them. (don't worry, I won't teach myself :D)

Thanks,

Anton

Brian Owens
20th June 2016, 08:54
There are any number of books with photos, but not so much on the Internet. One problem is with search terms: one school may talk of kata while another talks of waza and another talks of kihon.

Then there's the sheer number of different schools of kenjutsu: Shinkage Ryu, Shinto Ryu, Nito Ryu, Toyama Ryu, Nakamura Ryu, etc.

Is there anything in particular you're looking to discover by looking at pictures? Do you have a particular use of such image(s) in mind?

BushidoPractice
20th June 2016, 14:46
I just like to look through them. (my library doesn't have any Kenjutsu books).

hyaku
20th June 2016, 16:03
Hello,

I wanted to ask people if there is a good place (or, source) to find papers/pictures of basic kata and techniques for Kenjutsu.

I've looked all over the internet, to no avail. I just wanted to look at or study them. (don't worry, I won't teach myself :D)

Thanks,

Anton

Speaking for my ryu it's something that's handed down from teacher to student. The founder left instructions but they mean nothing without actual physical practice. That's generally the way it is.

hyaku
20th June 2016, 16:05
I just like to look through them. (my library doesn't have any Kenjutsu books).

Read Gorin no sho.

BushidoPractice
20th June 2016, 16:27
Read Gorin no sho. Is this the Book of Five Rings? That's what I get when I search Gorin no sho.

Brian Owens
20th June 2016, 17:04
Is this the Book of Five Rings? That's what I get when I search Gorin no sho.

Yes. There are many bad translations out there, but only a few decent ones. William Scott Wilson's is one of the decent ones.

BushidoPractice
20th June 2016, 18:25
And will that book have techniques in it? :D

Brian Owens
20th June 2016, 18:41
Yes. Techniques, strategy, philosophy...but probably not what you're looking for. It's not a photo essay.

BushidoPractice
20th June 2016, 19:23
Thanks for answering. :) I think I found a pretty good book, it's called: Samurai Swordsmanship.
It has a ton of pictures and practice drills.

Brian Owens
20th June 2016, 21:27
If that's the one by the late Shimabukuro Sensei, it's a good look at Musō Jikiden Eishin-ryū Iaijutsu.

I also need to put on my moderator hat for a moment: I just noticed that your user name is not your real name, and that you're signing your posts with only your given name or not at all. That's in violation of the rules. You can add your full real name to an automatic signature in your members profile if you want to make it simple.

hyaku
21st June 2016, 10:17

Yes it will. Then as I suggested you have find someone to explain to you how to do practically. No one does genuine step by step pictorial manuals. The whole concept is forming a teacher student relationship to guide you without injury and build you up.