PDA

View Full Version : Any Kenjutsu dojo near Tacoma area?

LunarShadowWolf
16th October 2016, 17:52
Don't have to be Kuryu,Toyama Ryu laid is ok too

Cady Goldfield
16th October 2016, 22:37
The North American dojo for TSKSR is in Woodinville, with Philip Relnick Sensei.

Brian Owens
17th October 2016, 11:32
Any Kenjutsu dojo near Tacoma area?
It depends on what you mean by "near." There's quite a variety up here in the Seattle/Bellevue/Woodinville area, but not much down in Tacoma.

LunarShadowWolf
18th October 2016, 20:02
It depends on what you mean by "near." There's quite a variety up here in the Seattle/Bellevue/Woodinville area, but not much down in Tacoma.

Wow I am around north west of Tacoma,those places you mentioned is far away from me

cxt
19th October 2016, 14:36
Cady and Brian

Thanks for helping. You might not see it as doing much, but being willing to help goes a long way.

Thanks on behalf of the poster.

pgsmith
19th October 2016, 18:39
Wow I am around north west of Tacoma,those places you mentioned is far away from me

No, it's not really. I live 45 miles each way from where I practice, and make that drive twice a week for years.

The Japanese sword arts, although certainly more common than they used to be, are still fairly rare and difficult to find.

Jetpilot78
21st October 2016, 19:15
I run a Nami Ryu Kenjutsu school in Shoreline WA.

Cheers!

Joseph Svinth
22nd October 2016, 00:23
Geographically, 45 miles isn't far, but the traffic pattern for that particular route takes you through the fourth worst traffic pattern in the USA. (If you're wondering, Seattle Metro traffic is better than San Jose's, but not as bad as New York City's.) Put another way, to drive that 45 miles, you should figure two hours each way for a normal commute, and three hours on one leg of the trip if there is a minor blocking accident, construction, or a Seahawks or Mariners' game. A full blockage of the interstate of course increases travel time for the affected leg of the trip to maybe 5-6 hours one way. So, personally? I'd look at one of the many kendo and iaido clubs in Tacoma Metro and South King County. True, the local talent isn't as deep as it is in Japan or Korea, but it is comparable to BC's Lower Mainland or San Francisco Metro, and the commute is much more feasible. http://www.pnkf.org/