PDA

View Full Version : Hello from France :)

Neldolas
31st October 2016, 19:19
Hey everyone, I'm very happy to have found this website. I'm currently not in a club, but I practiced Shotokan Karate for a little over ten years. I stopped practicing in a club for 12 years now, but I've tried finding other martial arts that could reignite the passion. Sadly, most of them aren't available in my area, which pushed me into the realms of self teaching, which is not always a good idea. Anyway, nowadays, I'm mainly focusing on shito-ryu karate, which is made easier by my knowledge of shotokan, and ninjutsu. I also love seeing more "exotic" martial arts like jang sanaty (Uzbekistan) or kapu kuialua (Hawaii) or even bokator (Cambodia), but my main focus is on japanese and chinese martial arts.

Brian Owens
31st October 2016, 20:31
Welcome to E-Budo, Guilhem.

What made you take up Shito Ryu?

Neldolas
31st October 2016, 21:22
Well, simply put, even after stopping karate, I still watched videos, mainly from kata and applications (always hated kumite, but that's beside the point). At first I focused on watching kata from Shotokan because I was familiar with them, but one day, I discovered a kata I didn't know. After a bit of research, I found out the name (Chatanyara Kusanku) and the performer (Rika Usami), and after another bit of research, I found out that the kata was mainly taught in Shito-Ryu. Following that, I researched the style (mainly thanks to its kata) and I liked it.

I also looked at other styles, like Goju Ryu or Uechi Ryu and also Kyokushinkai, but the Shito-Ryu is the one that interests me the most.

Brian Owens
1st November 2016, 04:48
You discovered an interesting kata; Chatanyara no Kusanku is an advanced kata within the Shito Ryu curriculum, which has a very large number of kata compared to many other karate systems.

I hope you can find a good dojo in the near future so you can resume formal training.

Grimlock
1st November 2016, 07:58
Bienvenue !