PDA

View Full Version : haori

Paburo
4th April 2001, 21:27
Hi!! Can Anybody tell me the name of the cord to put on the haori while doing tameshigiri and where can i find it???

Nathan Scott
4th April 2001, 22:11
Hi,

Your question does not make sense - are you confusing terms?

I don't know of any tradition that practices tameshigiri while wearing a haori (over coat worn outdoors).

I can't recall any specific name for the cord that ties the haori halves together when worn, but I'm sure if you asked a Japanese merchant for a "haori mune-himo" they would know what you meant.

"himo" just means cord, or string. You could also call the ties that are used to hold the tatami omote targets together "makiwara himo" as well.

HTH - if not, please re-state your question more clearly.

Regards,

Paburo
4th April 2001, 22:38
is a haori or montsuki? now i'm confuse.
when performing tameshigiri and your sleeve seems to be a little bit in the middle(as in distorbing your technique) you use a cord to make sure they're not on the way. i just want to know the term use for that cord or himo. i'm just new at this and i'm going thru all possible attires use in budo. I might ask somewhere else right?
Att. PABLO ROSADO

Nathan Scott
4th April 2001, 22:53
A monzuki is a black kimono that has all five crests (mon) on them. It is considered formal, as opposed to everyday wear. Haori is an overcoat worn over the kimono or monzuki.

Many people who demonstrate Iai will wear a short version of a monzuki, that is black and has five mon, but is not as long as a Kimono and sometimes have tapered sleeves. Go to Mugendo Budogu (online) for examples of this.

If you do wear a kimono or monzuki that has wide sleeves while you work out (or cut), it would be a good idea to tie them back.

This cord is called a "tasuki", and is typically handmade from just about anything, including the sageo (cord that hangs off of your saya) of your sword.

You can buy a tasuki from www.bugei.com as well, if you prefer to purchase one.

There are a variety of ways to put on a tasuki and tie it, but the end result is pretty much the same.

Anyway, if you don't have much knowledge and experience in this area, you might be better off not wearing "exotic" clothing right off that bat. Just by a judo uniform and a hakama (or whatever your teacher recommends). Real kimono are often made of silk - why soil and wear out nice clothing for practice? The Japanese didn't.

It is also VERY important that you do not try to teach yourself testcutting without the guidance of a qualified instructor. It is very dangerous to use a real sword at all, let alone cut with one.

Kiotsukete kudasai,

Paburo
4th April 2001, 23:50
I have to appretiate your information and your help!!
Arigato gozaimashita!

Pd. I realize (from your profile) That your from Shinkendo
I always dream on learn obata sensei's ryu. Nice school man.
Take care.