PDA

View Full Version : Sword Cleaning Kits

HeroStar
14th January 2017, 22:49
Any recommendations on cleaning kits for katana/iaito? Thanks

-Stuart Ratcliff

Brian Owens
15th January 2017, 20:42
No specific recommendations, but just a reminder that uchiko (powder balls) shouldn't be used on plated iaito, only on steel blades.

pgsmith
17th January 2017, 20:22
Hey Stuart,
Welcome to e-budo!
I would recommend that you get a Japanese cleaning kit rather than a Chinese one. The ones from China a less expensive, but the uchiko is not usually made the same way as the Japanese, and the oil usually doesn't smell right. I tend to buy stuff like that from Tozando as they have decent prices and a good reputation.

As Brian said, don't use uchiko on a non-ferrous iaito. The aluminum iaito are chrome plated, and the uchiko is mildly abrasive. This makes a bad combination. :) To clean an aluminum iaito, just wipe it down well and apply a very thin layer of choji. The oil isn't required, but it makes things work smoother the way they should.

hyaku
22nd January 2017, 12:35
I would recommend you get a piece of chammy leather (the type you use for wiping down a car). Put a few drops of oil on it and put it in a small plastic jewelry box. A quick wipe with that and it puts of a nice thin film of oil on your blade.

Elmar
23rd January 2017, 12:29
What I am having a hard time finding for decent prices is simply the uchiko. Everyone wants to sell you a nicely boxed set with peg hammer, oil, paper and uchicko. Just sell me a replacement uchicko puffer, eh? For something less than $20 ...

Brian Owens
23rd January 2017, 17:15
...Just sell me a replacement uchicko puffer, eh? For something less than $20

Tozando has a kit (yes, it has more oil and paper, but no hammer) for less than $17.00 not including shipping. If you really insist on only wanting the uchiko ball, contact Bill at artswords.com; he sells them for $15.00.

hyaku
1st February 2017, 07:00
The quality of the washi in the kits is not too good either. But living in Japan I guess I have been spoiled.