PDA

View Full Version : Pizza - just for fun

Neil Yamamoto
5th April 2001, 20:33
OK, we almost all eat pizza unless you are a "no food derived from anything with a face" person.

So, whats your favorite pizza, where do you get it from and whats the worst pizza and where did you get it from.

My current favorite(s)
Geno's sausage pizza from Chicago makes me salivate like a St Bernard being tempted with a steak. Thankfully I get one every now and then from friends who go to Chicago. Uno and Due are a close second.

The all time worst.
Aside from Dominos, the worst pizza was in a beer garden in Hiroshima. I ordered the combo based on a friends recomendation and it came with toppings divided into quarters across the pizza.

Section #1 had corn and peas. Section #2 had bacon that was not fully cooked. Section #3 had clams and diced oysters. Section #4 had some bay shrimp and green peppers. The crust was soggy, the sauce was flavorless, and the cheese had a funny smell to it. It's amazing what you will eat when you have been drinking enough beer though. I managed a few bites off each section before I gave up.

And you thought this thread had nothing to do with Japanese culture.

Walker
5th April 2001, 23:40
Cute story from mom.
In SF in the late 40s had pizza for the first time and had no idea how to eat it. That’s right a time before Americans ate the stuff at least twice a week. Upon asking their server they were told to roll up the traditionally shaped piece and cut it with knife and fork.

As for the question... I advocate the basics - cheese and pepperoni.

Contrary to popular belief Neil is not a portly jap who would kill you for a sausage.

john mark
6th April 2001, 00:00
Originally posted by Neil Yamamoto
The all time worst.
Aside from Dominos, the worst pizza was in a beer garden in Hiroshima. I ordered the combo based on a friends recomendation and it came with toppings divided into quarters across the pizza.

Section #1 had corn and peas. Section #2 had bacon that was not fully cooked. Section #3 had clams and diced oysters. Section #4 had some bay shrimp and green peppers. The crust was soggy, the sauce was flavorless, and the cheese had a funny smell to it. It's amazing what you will eat when you have been drinking enough beer though. I managed a few bites off each section before I gave up.

And you thought this thread had nothing to do with Japanese culture.

At the Star Ferry Kowloon side, there's a Dominos pizza that sells pizza with fish, dried shrimp, corn, ham and pineapple. It's very much acquired taste stuff.

The best pizza ----> Pino's 7th Ave, between 1st and Garfield Streets, Brooklyn.

HanashiBugeisha
6th April 2001, 04:55
The best pie I ever had came from a small place called Three Brothers in Bayonne, NJ when I was a teen. I remember the crust being perfect...that's one of the fondest childhood memories.

The worst pizza.....when I went with my dad on a road trip to Chicago when I was 15...we had a pizza as thick as a loaf of bread...the crust was cornbread....it wasn't very appetizing.

Is this cornbread crust pizza big in Chicago?

Kreth
6th April 2001, 05:14
My vote for worst pizza (and those who have been to Tokyo will no what I'm talking about): Shakey's... Although the spaghetti with cod roe was pretty good... :D

Jeff

Asia
6th April 2001, 13:44
Sorry Ketch, I never been to Shackey's but now I know not to go there.

Stateside I miss Papa John's Pizza w/ the garlic butter or cheese dip (GREAT ARTERY HARDENER!!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT)

The best Pizza I had to date was in a Greek restuerant close to the CZECH border (actually and hour away from the border) I think it as AKRAPOLIS something. It had Lamb, chees, olives, basil, mushrooms (inserst Homer Drool) I Loved it I keep wanting to go back there but I am 4 hours away. You know it is good pizza if your willing to drive 4 hours for it.