PDA

View Full Version : Dojo in Toronto

MarieR
30th September 2018, 20:41
Hi everyone

I will be moving from France to Canada (Toronto to be precised) for 6 months from the beginning of February. Then, I am looking for a new dojo.
Does anyone know some addresses? I practice jodo and iaido but I am open to new disciplines!

pgsmith
1st October 2018, 21:54
Hi Marie,
Welcome to e-budo!
I suggest you contact Kim Taylor. He instructs seidokai dojo at University of Guelph. https://seidokai.ca/iai.kim.html
He is a great guy, knows just about everyone in the area. He can definitely help you get set up for when you arrive, no matter what you feel like practicing.

Let us know how it works out!

hyaku
7th October 2018, 12:37
I am regular visitor to teach at Guelph University. Taylor Sensei more or less runs Jodo in Canada as well as teaching Iaido.

MarieR
17th October 2018, 10:38
Sorry for taking so long to answer to such good advice!

I checked on the internet and it seems to be a very good address. Thank you very much to both of you!

I also found out that there is a "Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre" located in Toronto which gives martial arts classes. Do you know something about this centre?
http://www.jccc.on.ca/en/programs/martial_arts/starting_MA.php

pgsmith
24th October 2018, 19:50
I've heard good things about JCCC, and had the opportunity to meet a few of the iaido folks a number of years back.

Again, Taylor sensei can give you good advice if you're interested in learning one of the arts they practice. He undoubtedly knows all the instructors, and is heavily involved with their CKF iaido and jodo programs (or was last I heard).

MarieR
24th October 2018, 20:50
Double-checking is one of my default, I'm sorry ^-^"

Thank you very much!
I am using to train with budokas who practice martial arts as a ryu, in a very (very) traditional way, and I was quite anxious to only find people who feel them as sports while traveling abroad. Then, it seems that I will be right in the good place in Kim Taylor's dojo!

pgsmith
26th October 2018, 00:34
Double-checking is one of my default, I'm sorry ^-^"

Thank you very much!
I am using to train with budokas who practice martial arts as a ryu, in a very (very) traditional way, and I was quite anxious to only find people who feel them as sports while traveling abroad. Then, it seems that I will be right in the good place in Kim Taylor's dojo!

Maybe, maybe not. Taylor sensei is very knowledgeable and has been training a long time with various Japanese sensei. However, his outlook and approach can be a bit non-traditional at times. He understands this about himself though, so if you are uncomfortable with his outlook and desire something more traditionally Japanese, I've no doubt he can direct you where you want to be. Fortunately (due in part to Kim Taylor sensei) there are a number of options available to you in that area.

P.S. Double checking is never a fault! :)

BJohnson
29th October 2018, 22:27
There's a branch dojo of Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin-ryu in Toronto that might be of interest, especially considering this was posted in the Internal Power forum. And there's also a branch in France. The folks running both dojo are fine people.

http://www.shinyokai.com/dojos2.htm -- click on the region, then the dojo for details.

chunmonchek
29th October 2018, 23:28
There's a branch dojo of Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin-ryu in Toronto that might be of interest, especially considering this was posted in the Internal Power forum. And there's also a branch in France. The folks running both dojo are fine people.

http://www.shinyokai.com/dojos2.htm -- click on the region, then the dojo for details.

I wholeheartedly agree with BJohnson. While I don't train Takamura-Ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu, one of my student's husband trains in this tradition, and when Threadgill Sensei came east to teach, he let me, a Karate guy, play with his folks. It was interesting and lots of fun! I really like his teaching style, attitude and approach to training.