PDA

View Full Version : Glucosamine & joint injuries

Kurgan
6th April 2001, 06:36
Hello everyone,

I read an article about "Glucosamine" and how it aids the body in strenghening joints.

Has anybody here had any experience with the use of Glucosamine ?

Kind Regards

:)

MarkF
6th April 2001, 09:23
I highly recommend large doses of glucosamine (with some chondroitin), not only as a way to maintain joints and their fluidity and softness, but it can actually heal joint problems or at least halt the breakdown and can actually help with chronic pain associated with overuse syndromes of repetitive motion disorders.

Most physicians also recommend its use (although most believe the addition of chondroitan to be useless. I don't) and is a much healthier way than hormones and NSAID-class drugs, or even corticosteroids.

A daily regimen of 500mgs to 1500mgs is a good food supplement and along with calcium/magnesium supplements can do wonders.

I wish I had known about it twenty-five years ago.

Yojimbo558
7th April 2001, 02:01
Hi Vic,

This was recommended to me by a friend who has really bad knees. He said that after taking it for awhile it let him get back into the full swing of his training as if his knees never bothered him.

I was skeptical but figured I'd give it a shot, since my knee bugs me from time to time ( had surgery ). After about 3 weeks I was amazed at the difference. It really let me move back into training or for that matter going on hikes the way I used to.

Eric

Budo00
7th April 2001, 03:04
It has had good results for me also.

Watch out for an irritated stomich, however. I never had that problem but it can be a side effect.

MarkF
7th April 2001, 09:56
Just take it with a large side-order of calcium, e.g. Tums and you shouldn't have any problems.

tcasella
8th April 2001, 00:11
I have had some really good results from Glucosamine supplements. I am in the Army, jump out of planes quite a bit (landings can be rough on the knees and ankles) I have been involved in Hapkido and lately with Taijitsu ( lots of joint twisting / manipulation in both) and I am in the gym quite regularly. Since I have started taking Glucosamine I have not suffered from the same kind of joint pains that I was suffering from before.

You should still talk to a doctor or a Professional in the know before you start messing around with supplements though.

Hope this helps out a bit.

MarkF
8th April 2001, 09:55
Well, does a pharmacist count as a *professional*?" If so, he just did. (hehe)

Kurgan
11th April 2001, 07:53
Originally posted by tcasella
I have had some really good results from Glucosamine supplements. I am in the Army, jump out of planes quite a bit (landings can be rough on the knees and ankles) I have been involved in Hapkido and lately with Taijitsu ( lots of joint twisting / manipulation in both) and I am in the gym quite regularly. Since I have started taking Glucosamine I have not suffered from the same kind of joint pains that I was suffering from before.
Hope this helps out a bit.

Thanks for all the response I got from this question. It really helps ! :smilejapa

I do budo taijutsu - and like you say - lots of joint locks, ukemi can also injure if you roll badly. I find that wrists are especially prone to injury.

Problem is I live in South Africa and I've tried to buy Glucosamine but I can't find any. :confused: Do you guys buy it in a health shop ?

Regards
:nin:

Joseph Svinth
11th April 2001, 11:31
Make sure you're not ordering a controlled substance (cops tend to be rather humorless about such things), and then try the keyword "Glucosamine buy" at Google.

gmanry
11th April 2001, 17:40
Another good thing to try is MSM for joint pain. MSM is a sulfur compound that has anti-inflamatory effects on joints. It is a more stable form of DMSO, which professional athletes have been using for some time. I take an MSM supplement that also has glucosamine.

Something that some of the research has pointed out is that glucosamine hydrochloride is what you want to use, not glucosamine sulfate.

MSM has been used extensively in animals and many vets actively recommend it for horses. This does not mean that it is proven safe for humans. However, it is a supplement to the natural forms of MSM that our own bodies can produce and I have not noticed any obvious side effects. Of course my liver could be slowly turning into yogurt for all I know.

I used it for about 3 months for a bad knee, within about a week my knee showed marked improvement. I stopped using it for a month and a half, and my knee is still better, but it locked out on me again after I stopped taking it and I have noticed a return of some of my previous symptoms. So, I will be resuming my regimen.

My wife has little left to speak of her left knee, and now she runs on it with little trouble.

Glenn R. Manry

jchetty
11th April 2001, 20:46
I have been using a supplement containing :

5mg N-acetyl glucosamine
400mg Glucosamine sulphate
200mg chondroitin sulphate

Kurgan,
I got it in a supermarket (Pick & Pay) in Johannesburg.

Glenn,
Whats wrong with glucosamine sulphate? I've been using the supplement for about a week now (as a result of this thread) for a bad knee. I could have sworn I felt some relief - must be that damn placebo effect.

I'll be looking for a different supplement now.

Thanks for all your help,

gmanry
11th April 2001, 21:42
From what I have read, glucosamine sulfate contains less usable glucosamine than glucosamine hydrochloride. Most cheaper brands use sulfates, the brands made by more reputable companies seem to use hydrochloride. Now, I am not a chemist or a medical professional, so go do some reading on your own as well or ask your doctor.

I hope this helps.

Glenn R. Manry

P.S. the brand of MSM and glucosamine I use is by Natrol and it uses glucosamine hydrochloride along with MSM in the most frequently suggested dosages. It is also not too expensive.

Kurgan
12th April 2001, 05:26
Originally posted by jchetty

Kurgan,
I got it in a supermarket (Pick & Pay) in Johannesburg.

Hi there,

:D

I work in Johannesburg - please can you tell me which Pick & Pay this was ? Also what you paid for it ?

The bad exchange rate for the Rand hasn't helped in buying expensive suppliments & martial arts supplies. Usually these things are very expensive in South Africa

Thanx !