PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Steal...Er Swapping

Asia
6th April 2001, 15:11
Since everyone has to eat, and some fancy themselves chef (I may be alone on this one)

I would like to open a thread for users to swap their recipies and food tips.

I'll start

Sweet Ginger Ribs

2lbs of Country Style Pork Ribs (usually boneless)
1 Ginger root
1/2 cup Molase
2 pinches of Cilantro (Choriandier)
1/4 cup Mirin
1 tps Basil
1/4 Soy Sauce
Brown Sugar

Grate 1/2 of the ginger root. Combine the Molases, Mirin, Cilanto, and Basil in a bowl. (add more Mirin is the mixture is to sticky and unmanagable) I coat the ripps with the mixture and let sit in the refigerator for 30 min.

Cooking is really a matter of personal choice I pefer using a Grilling pan because it keeps the meat moist. Baking is also fine. When the ribs are almost done sprinkle Brown Sugar lightly over them and let is carmelize.

Optional:
serve with Ginger Soy Sauce for dipping.

Margaret Lo
6th April 2001, 17:20
Asia (the Invincible?)

Please sign with your full name. It is the rule of this board that food is taken very very seriously. If this recipe does not work, you must be held accountable!
:D

M

PS, I suggest that your ribs are excellent for the outdoor charcoal grill. Is barbecue popular in Germany?

Asia
26th April 2001, 11:20
Margaret,

You hit the name on the head. I am Asia the Invinvible, but I still go all my tackle :) And I still look better than Bridgete Lin!!

Barbecueing is very popular in Germany and pple will grill almost anywhere at any time. There is a why of cooking called Speisbraten in which meat is marinated with varies spices, garlic, and oninion and roasted over an open pit. In the area I am at this cooking is very popular. Pple take great pride in their marinade recipes and cooking.

kenkyusha
26th April 2001, 17:25
Butterscotch Almond Cheesecake (adapted slightly from a recipe in Bon Apetit, May 1993)

This is a nice cake, with a twist on the standard crust, and a sauce to do Neil Yamamoto proud!

Crust:
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup almonds, toasted
¼ teaspon salt
7 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
¼ teaspoon almond extract

Filling:
4 8 ounce packages of cream cheese, room temp
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup scotch whisky
1 Tablespoon van extract
4 large eggs

2 cups sour cream

Butterscotch topping:
2 cups sugar
2/3 cups (ish) scotch
2/3 cups whipping cream
½ stick of unsalted butter
¾ cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds

For crust:
Preheat an oven to 350 d (farenheit). Line the bottom of a springform pan (9" or 10") with foil, then butter and flour foil. Blend the flour, sugar, almonds and salt in a food processor until the nuts are finely chopped. Add butter, yolk, extract and blend until the mixture begins to gather. Press the mixture onto the foiled bottom of the pan. Bake until golden (about 25 minutes). Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Gently remove side of pan, turn the crust out, remove foil, reattach pan and replace the crust.

For Filling:
Using an electric mixter, beat the cheese, 1 ¼ cups sugar, scotch, and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until just combined. Pour over the crust in the springform pan. Bake until the cake is set at the edges, but a 3" area still moves slightly when shaken (50 - 80 minutes). Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes

Mix sour cream and ¼ cup sugar. Spatula gently onto the top of the partially cool cake. Bake for 10 more minutes. Place on rack, to cool for 20 minutes. Run a small sharp knife around the tope edge of the pan to loosen, then refrigerate overnight (or freeze for 3 hours). The one downside to this cake is that it wont please diehard New Yorkers (it doesn't feature that burnt, cracked top) but its still pretty good, and this part alone works well if topped by fruit, nuts, etc.

For Topping:
Add sugar, and 2/3 cup of scotch to a heavy bottomed saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil without stirring until the syrup turns golden brown (you will want to brush down the sides of the pan with cold water to prevent crystalization). Add 2/3 cup cream, and butter (the syrup will bubble and sugar burns suck, so be careful!). Cool 10 minutes. Stir in 1 - 3 tablespoons scotch; let stand until cool, but still pourable (1-2 hours, less in the fridge). Mix in almonds. Pour all but ½ cup of the sauce over the cake, sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of almonds and refrigerate for 30 - 60 minutes. To release, run a sharp knife around the pan. Serves 12 (by the recommendation, but it depends on how much you like the recipe... It could only serve one if you are a big fan). Enjoy!!

Be well,
Jigme

Neil Yamamoto
27th April 2001, 22:02
I orginally posted this in the thread on seminars and making it great in the bujinkan forum in reply to a comment we should exchange cookie recipes.

If you leave out the ninja stuff and use pam to grease your cookie sheet instead of sword oil, it makes a good cookie.
--------

Ninja Nut cookies – Guaranteed to disappear from your kitchen counter!

1 1/2 cups white ninja sugar
1 1/2 cups shortening
1 egg, chicken not quail egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely diced walnuts or nuts of your choice
1 cup prepared chocolate fudge frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets with sword oil.

In your hasami bune or taru ikada, cream together the sugar and shortening. If you lack these, then a medium wooden bowl will work. Your ninja shuko hand claws will work well for this. Stir in the egg and vanilla, beat with your hanbo until light and fluffy. Don’t use a glass bowl, it will break from the use of traditional ninja cooking equipment.

Combine the cake flour, baking soda and salt, stir into the creamed mixture. Your ninja-to saya is perfect for this. The dough will become stiff as you mix, you may need to use your hands to mix but this will give you an opportunity to practice your deadly seizing techniques.

Roll dough into a log about 15 inches long and about as thick as your hanbo staff or a musashi style bokuto if you want larger cookies. Now roll in the ground nuts, the cookie dough that is, don’t practice your ukemi in the nuts. Wrap and chill dough for at least an hour or until firm. Waxed paper is fine for this, don’t use your head wrap since you will smell cookies while on a mission and hunger will distract you from your mission.

Unwrap dough and cut into 1/2 inch slices with your tanto. Your ninja-to will work if you have left your tanto in someone. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Check the time with the cat’s eyes often to make sure you don’t over cook. If in the field, you may use the local sword smith’s forge when the coals have cooled to the color of the sunset in the mid winter months.

Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before removing to cool completely on wire racks. When the cookies have cooled, fill your fukiya with fudge icing and blow to place a small amount of fudge onto the center of each cookie.