PDA

View Full Version : Advice on resuming training after serious health problems

sidss2000
8th April 2001, 16:04
Hi Y'all, I am going back to the Dojo after a 2 year layoff caused by a serious brain tumor. The neurosurgeons have said it is OK to work out but at a "moderate pace". Any advice? Any dos or donts?
Thanks in advance.

bungadude
9th April 2001, 07:07
Hellow Sidss. Welcome to eBudo. Please check for a private message I've posted to you. It has my email address if you'd care to contact me directly.

Chances are a moderator or an administrator will post that you need to use your name in your signature. You can set up your profile so that it's automatically included.

OldRonin
13th April 2001, 11:33
Sid Sharma:

Congratulations on your recovery. Your desire to return to training is admirable.

Since you say you were treated for a brain tumor, I assume you had brain surgery. However, if you only had radiation therapy without surgery the same issues apply. If you only had chemotherapy and no surgery or radiation, you can tolerate more vigorous workouts.

Anytime you have brain tissue removed, or have it irradiated, the surrounding tissue become more reactive to being jostled around. Your brain will be more vulnerable to swelling and injury than it was before. Therefore, you need to be careful about not getting hit in the head or having your neck wrenched, so you should only spar with others who have good control (or skip jiyu-kumite altogether). Wearing a head pad won't help that much, its better to not be taking shots to the head period. Also, I would not take judo-type falls. Aikido rolls are OK if you are careful not to hit your head on the mat as you roll. Also, breathing exercises like those in Sanchin would not be advisable, nor would holding your breathe while lifting heavy weights. If you are going to do yoga-type stretching, don't spend much time standing upside down where all the blood rushes into your head. While the mild brain swelling that might occur with these things probably won't actually harm you permanently, it will make you feel ill and week for several minutes to several hours later.

Otherwise, increase your pace slowly, don't rush yourself. MA training can be the greatest thing for one's body, but those with health vulnerabilities should probably not do the real "hard core" over-the-top training we did in our youth. Our training is counterproductive if it hurts our body.

Hope this helps. And again, congratulations and welcome back to training.

sidss2000
14th April 2001, 13:53
Thanks, John G. and Dr. John. I first had malignant melanoma for which I got chemotherapy. Then, a pituiatary adenoma which was treated by not chemotherapy per se, but by a chemical attack on the tumor tissue. So I still am on a bunch of medications, but the neurosurgeons have OK'd resumption of training. Like Dr. John said, they have given me tips what to avoid.
I must say. I am looking forward to resuming training. For the past 7 years, while I was sick, I looked forward to the day I could get back to the Dojo and the gym and
lead an active life again.
Thanks for your encouragement and support.
Sid Sharma

Yamantaka
15th April 2001, 11:14
Congratulations on your spirit and persistence, Sid!
When you get back on training, remember that the important thing is PLEASURE, not competition. Try not to compete with your friends, trying to do everything they are doing. Go softly, softly...And pretty soon you will be increasing your capabilities.
Welcome back!
Yamantaka

Originally posted by sidss2000
Thanks, John G. and Dr. John. I first had malignant melanoma for which I got chemotherapy. Then, a pituiatary adenoma which was treated by not chemotherapy per se, but by a chemical attack on the tumor tissue. So I still am on a bunch of medications, but the neurosurgeons have OK'd resumption of training. Like Dr. John said, they have given me tips what to avoid.
I must say. I am looking forward to resuming training. For the past 7 years, while I was sick, I looked forward to the day I could get back to the Dojo and the gym and
lead an active life again.
Thanks for your encouragement and support.
Sid Sharma