PDA

View Full Version : Miyama Ryu Jujutsu

taino1
10th April 2001, 04:18
Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the Miyama-Ryu Jujutsu style that can offer information on the art in general, principles, ranking system.. etc..?

Does it follow a or the traditional Jujutsu curriculum? What are the basics of the curriculum?

What are some of the major principles taught in this style and how does it compare with other styles.. particularly with those Jujutsu style that incorporate the "Aiki" principles such as "Hakko-Ryu Jujutsu" as I understand it.

Does it incorporate mostly judo type throws as someone mention to me?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Yamantaka
11th April 2001, 11:55
Originally posted by taino1
Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the Miyama-Ryu Jujutsu style that can offer information on the art in general, principles, ranking system.. etc..?
Does it follow a or the traditional Jujutsu curriculum? What are the basics of the curriculum?
What are some of the major principles taught in this style and how does it compare with other styles.. particularly with those Jujutsu style that incorporate the "Aiki" principles such as "Hakko-Ryu Jujutsu" as I understand it.
Any responses would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance....

YAMANTAKA : Miyama Ryu is a modern style of Jujutsu, created by D'Arcy Rahming Sensei and, as such, should be examined and visited as such. But I have observed that most of the accolade this style gets come from fellows of dubious story, such as mr. Ronald Duncan.
I don't know what is "a traditional jujutsu curriculum", since every style of Jujutsu follows its own curriculum and I never heard that Hakko Ryu Jujutsu includes "aiki" principles. To be partially derived from Daito Ryu and to include aiki principles is, I believe, two different things. But I may be wrong...Who told you that and based on what aspects?
I would give you some links but curiously all Miyama Ryu sites are out of order(!!!).
I wish you luck

AhKei
11th April 2001, 13:36

It incorporates strikes(hand and foot), throws, joint-locks, wrist-turning(kote-gaeshi), chokes, and ground controls.
Defense against empty hand and weapon attacks from multiple attackers is emphasized.

AhKei
11th April 2001, 14:21
Check out http://www.nujujutsu.com/.

Yamantaka
11th April 2001, 15:42
Originally posted by Sagasuhito
Actually, It was not created by Dharcy Ramming but by Antonio Perreira.
Mike Mitchell

YAMANTAKA : You are right! My mistake!
Thank you for correcting me.
Best

taino1
11th April 2001, 19:35
Thank you all!! for all the great information... This really does helps...

I had several other questions ...

What would you say are the key elements of Classical JuJutsu as apposed to Modern Jujutsu?

Also, If an art is composed of mainly "Modified Aikido techniques", "Military Hand to Hand combat techniques", and "Judo" -- should this be considered Jujutsu? just trying to understand the distiction...

Some objective points of view would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again....

Yamantaka
11th April 2001, 23:13
[QUOTE]Originally posted by taino1
[B]
What would you say are the key elements of Classical JuJutsu as apposed to Modern Jujutsu?

YAMANTAKA : Perhaps this article may help you a bit :
http://koryu.com/library/fabian1.html
Good luck

taino1
11th April 2001, 23:23
Thanks!!!

I'll take a read...

Thanks again..

Devon Smith
12th April 2001, 22:45
YAMANTAKA...and I never heard that Hakko Ryu Jujutsu includes "aiki" principles. To be partially derived from Daito Ryu and to include aiki principles is, I believe, two different things. But I may be wrong...Who told you that and based on what aspects?

Ubaldo, since the definition of "aiki" has been debated far too long here, I'd be glad to talk to you about "aiki" and Hakkoryu! Please send me a note if you get a chance.

Devon

drahming
31st October 2004, 16:39
Hello,

I know that this is following up an old post, but I am responding to anyone seeking information on Miyama Ryu.

The official Miyama Ryu website is at www.miyamaryu.org

You might also be interested to know that there is a 3rd edition of the Secrets of Combat Jujutsu books that are now available.

For a current review look in the articles section of Budoseek.net.

Hope this helps.

-- D'Arcy Rahming

Dan Harden
1st November 2004, 11:45
To D'Arcy Rahming
Since you decided to respond to a 3 yr old thread. Perhaps you could correct a few things.
1. I see you were credited with the creation of Miyama ryu here in this thread but left it unchallenged. For those who won't visit the website or read further- perhaps a reference to your teacher would be helpful here.
2. A question was asked about its relation to classsical jujutsu. Perhaps a dicussion of the founder and his brief time in Japan, his class/meeting with Ueshiba sensei, and judo background would be appropo?
3. The Trimount street address and relation to the name?
4. Perhaps a a clarification of it being the "Parent art" of;
"combat" Aikido
"combat" karate
"combat" Judo
5. Mayhaps the begginer would be confused into believing or thinking that this new art is the "parent of...
Aikido
Karate
Judo
I'm sure you would not want to leave younger readers or begginers with that impression

cheers
Dan

drahming
1st November 2004, 15:34
Hi,

Thanks for the questions. And thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt and asking for clarifications rather than just attacking.

Of course, I am not the founder of Miyama Ryu combat Jujutsu, that distinction belongs to Antonio Pereria. He was a WWII combat veteran who was exposed to hand to hand combat methods as he was a sniper during the war.

He fell in love with the arts and pursued them after the war. He researched through the practice of Judo, some karate and anything he could lay his hands on at the time. (Remember good information and instructors were scarce in the 40's and 50's).

Eventually he opened a school on Tremont Ave (about 1960) in the Bronx NY and gave self defense classes. He just called it Combato. It was based on responses to street attacks that people in his area were experiencing.

He was giving a demonstration at a health club where he was noticed by a Japanese Judo instructor who was visiting.

Mr. Pereira was encouraged to go and study in Japan. Which he did. He earned a Nidan from the Kodokan and a teaching certificate signed by Ueshiba from the Aikikai.

But his students rejected the arts of Judo and Aikido in their pure forms. They wanted to return to more scenario based training, which Pereira now recognized as Jujutsu.

Through an acquaintance Nelson Fleming (who was largely based in Japan at the time) they formed the Sosuishitsu ryu federation under professor Shitama.

If you are familiar with the Sosuishitsu curriculum, from my knowledge of it (which is limited,) it appears to be largely two man Kata based, some of which are performed from the Seiza position. Again Pereira found himself substituting the curriculum to meet the self-defense needs of the people.

So he renamed his teaching method Miyama Ryu, School of the Three mountains, or Tremont (from the name of the street). From there it has branched out Worldwide and taught in various police academies, civilian dojos etc. There are many incidents that attest to the effectiveness of it.

In fact, it is now even being taught to Soldiers in Iraq, and has already proven effective in saving some lives over there.

Check out the links section of www.miyamaryu.org.

So as they say the rest is history.

Now my website says "discover the parent art of Combat Karate, Combat Judo,and Combat Aikido". I am of course refering to Jujutsu in general as it is a Jujutsu site. And Jujutsu is a parent art.

Miyama Ryu is a modern teaching method of Jujutsu, utilizing classical techniques to defend against attacks that you would see on today's streets.

It was not my intention to confuse anyone. And my sincere apologies if it was interperted in this manner. And as you look through the rest of the site, the history section etc. it is clearly not my intention.

I used the word combat to distinguish between sport and gladiator type arts (such as UFC). In my experience the preparation, training method and final outcome is different between the combat arts and sporting arts.

Finally, Thank you again for giving me a chance to respond. And if I said anything that is unclear I will be glad to try and clarify.

-- D'Arcy Rahming
Author of the Secrets of Combat Jujutsu Books
www.miyamaryu.org

Dan Harden
1st November 2004, 17:55
Finally, Thank you again for giving me a chance to respond. And if I said anything that is unclear I will be glad to try and clarify.

-- D'Arcy Rahming
Author of the Secrets of Combat Jujutsu Books
www.miyamaryu.org

Hi D'Arcy

Actually I knew the answers to all of my questions as I know several guys from the old days. You know how the internet goes-I thought it might be nice for you to spell it out for the newer guys reading and/or researching.
I also know you are top drawer _and_ a nice guy so it should come from you and not me or others. Next thing ya know you'd be the founder and not the "old man." heh heh..
Wouldn't he just love that? ;)
Anyway, it was your call to fill in the blanks. See what I mean?

Thanks for setting the record straight.

For those who may be reading who do not know; Miyama ryu is an example of a straight forward and directly to-the-point jujutsu style that gets the job done. There were several noteworthy people who did it and/or or are still in it.

cheers
Dan

Denis Torres
1st November 2004, 22:52
Does anyone know why Pereira named his art Miyama-ryu. I can only assume he did not want to be one of those guys who names his art after himself. And he felt that each individual makes the art his/her own therefore; my...name...art or family. Mi meaning "mine" in Spanish. Yama meaning "is called" or "I am called" in Spanish although that would be phonetically spelling "llama" which is the proper spelling. And then ryu...Miyama-ryu.

This is just a wild guess. But I always thought there was some validity to it. Kind of an inside joke.

elder999
1st November 2004, 23:01
Originally posted by Denis Torres
Does anyone know why Pereira named his art Miyama-ryu.

Tremont avenue= "Tres mont"in french=three mountains= mi yama

He named it after Tremont avenue, though your joke (and the "judo, aikido, karate" thing) has been around a while....:rolleyes:

ChrisMoon
2nd November 2004, 07:53
Dear Mr. D'Arcy Rahming,

There is a shady character associated with Miyama Ryu named Felix Sabala. Do you know how I can get a hold of him? I saw that you have a link to his website on your site.

I and others have made several attempts at contacting Mr. Sabala about some of the content that he has on his website but the scumbag has yet to write back or comply with our wishes.

On the bottom of his site he has a few paragraphs about Takeuchi Ryu and his training in Kyoto with Ono Yotaro. Here at the bottom of the page:

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/miyamaryuoftexas/ancestors.html

Interestingly enough it pretty much matches word for word what Wayne Muromoto wrote here:

http://www.furyu.com/onlinearticles/TRIai1.html

If he wanted to plagarize something at least make an attempt to change something! Plus there is no evidence that he ever trained with Ono Sensei. I have written him and I know Wayne has yet he has made no changes to his website.

My question to you is do you condone this kind of crap? If not then do you think maybe you can say something to him about it or remove his link from your website until he retracts his plagarism and lies.

Thank you.

Dan Harden
2nd November 2004, 11:14
Originally posted by Denis Torres
Does anyone know why Pereira named his art Miyama-ryu. I can only assume he did not want to be one of those guys who names his art after himself. And he felt that each individual makes the art his/her own therefore; my...name...art or family. Mi meaning "mine" in Spanish. Yama meaning "is called" or "I am called" in Spanish although that would be phonetically spelling "llama" which is the proper spelling. And then ryu...Miyama-ryu.

This is just a wild guess. But I always thought there was some validity to it. Kind of an inside joke.

Reading is a wonderful tool. If you take the time to come here and read, the next logical step is to do that very same thing. Try starting with the top of the thread and then reading to the bottom. The answers to your question are here and already addressed both in my "leading" question and in D'arcy's answer.
Good luck

Dan

Denis Torres
2nd November 2004, 13:08
Thank you Dan. I just put that out there because around spanish speaking fans of Pereira (my fellow Boricuas) this has been a constant source of folklore. In other words the name has a dual meaning. Perhaps this was not the original intent but...

Robc
3rd November 2004, 22:46
Mr. Rahming,

It's a great pleasure to read your post and find you on this forum. I purchased your books years ago and they were instrumental in the development of my love for jujutsu. I had the good fortune to study the Miyama Ryu with an early black belt of Mr. Pereria's (BB #5 Kenneth Winthrop, Sr.) for two years while living in Nevada. It was great fun, and I regretted relocating so far from the closest instructor of the art. The psychology of Miyama Ryu still influences my approach to martial arts and my job in law enforcement.

Thank you for your wonderful books and the professional way with which you have represented the Miyama Ryu to those of us who first came to know it through your work.

All the best,

Rob Canestrari

dingodog1
2nd July 2005, 22:23
I also agree that the 3 books are top notch in informing about Miyama Ryu and it's curriculum as well as jujutsu in general.

Jason H.P. Yoo
5th July 2005, 01:24
Tremont avenue= "Tres mont"in french=three mountains= mi yama

He named it after Tremont avenue, though your joke (and the "judo, aikido, karate" thing) has been around a while....:rolleyes:

Eh? I'm not a Francophone, but last I checked that would be something more like "trois montagnes", not "tres monts".

IIRC "tres" means "very", not "three".

MarkF
5th July 2005, 04:22
Eh? I'm not a Francophone, but last I checked that would be something more like "trois montagnes", not "tres monts".

IIRC "tres" means "very", not "three".

You're right, but I think the joke is in the joke itself. Beginning with Tremont, English, Mr. Elder999 is basically writing in Spanglish-ese.

Tres Mont, sounding french, is closer to Spanish, in fact "Tres" being Spanish for three, adding the 'e' to Monte continues the Spanglish less and ends in a combination of Spanish and Japanese-lish.

Then Mr. Torres further explains what is meant by 'mi' in Spanish (though I would take mild exception as 'mi' is more likely to be translated to 'my.' El mio or la mia are usually intended to mean 'mine.'' Of course, Mr. Tores is also correct in stating that, concerning yama to 'llama' though 'mi llama' as he translates it is more likely to be me llama, though to have it mean 'mine' it would be 'me llama' or the relexive verb llamarse, ie, Me Llamo or in third person 'se llama a mi,' which can mean 'I am calling it.' It can be possibly interpreted to 'Mi' and 'llama' as 'me llama a mi' which could be 'It is known/called to/by me,' or 'I know it as 'this.'' So if one combined 'mi' with the Japanese 'yama' it is 'my mountain or mount.' We end up with frenlish, spanglish, romaji Japanese for mountain in 'yama' then corrected to something like 'Engfrespajapa-nese.' (in the case of the last few syllables, the 'j' or 'jota' in 'japa-nese, it is pronounced like a hard 'h' in English, as in 'hay, ha, ha-ha, or ho-ho. The ending syllable -nese can be the english pronunciation or Spanish, in which case it would be more like 'nay-say.'

Should this be moved to the Japanese language forum for further study or can we just name it something and move on?

Mark

elder999
5th July 2005, 13:58
You're right, but I think the joke is in the joke itself. Beginning with Tremont, English, Mr. Elder999 is basically writing in Spanglish-ese.

Tres Mont, sounding french, is closer to Spanish, in fact "Tres" being Spanish for three, adding the 'e' to Monte continues the Spanglish less and ends in a combination of Spanish and Japanese-lish.

Mark

Tremont:
A postmaster invented the name for this west central Bronx neighborhood in the mid-nineteenth century, alluding to three estates (Fairmount, Mount Eden, and Mount Hope) that were located here.

See here. (http://ca80.lehman.cuny.edu/pa/neighborhood.htm)

MarkF
7th July 2005, 13:05
Hey, thanks, Aaron.

The Bronx really has a pretty neat history even Bronk himself.

Mark