PDA

View Full Version : Osgodd-Schlatter's disease and the martial arts

BC
11th April 2001, 17:23
Has anyone else experienced any recurrence of Osgood-Schlatter's disease as a result of their martial arts practice?

I, like many others, had it as an adolescent, and the bony bump (tibial tuberosity) on one knee never completely went away. Although in the past the only discomfort I experienced was trying to sit in seiza on hard floors (due to the bump), recently it has become more sensitive when I sit in seiza on any surface, particularly when bowing. I have a hunch that this current discomfort is really only the result of a bruise from taking ukemi recently. However, I am interested in learning if anyone else has had similar experiences or recurrences as a result of their training.

Regards,

Michael Patterson
11th April 2001, 22:43
I had nasty O-S Disease as a teen;aggravated by incessant need to play HS Basketball. However, in 6 years of karate training following a 10 year football career, I have had no recurrence of O-S type of pain. As you are probably aware, it is very distinctive. Adult pain in that area tend to be associated with patellar tendonitis or lingering pain due to a contusion such as you describe. As O-S can be virtually ruled out as it enda with the ossification of bone during early adulthood, you'd probably be best to get some expert advice. (unlike what I have put forth here). Good luck!

Michael Patterson

Michael Patterson
11th April 2001, 22:49
I had nasty O-S Disease as a teen;aggravated by incessant need to play HS Basketball. However, in 6 years of karate training following a 10 year football career, I have had no recurrence of O-S type of pain. As you are probably aware, it is very distinctive. Adult pain in that area tend to be associated with patellar tendonitis or lingering pain due to a contusion such as you describe. As O-S can be virtually ruled out as it enda with the ossification of bone during early adulthood, you'd probably be best to get some expert advice. (unlike what I have put forth here). Good luck!

Michael Patterson