PDA

View Full Version : Kosen Judo

Matthew Banks
11th April 2001, 22:34
Hi Guys,

Do you know anyone who teaches Kosen Judo in the UK?

If not do you know of any good Kosen Judo websites.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt Banks

MarkF
12th April 2001, 06:15
Hi, Mathew,
There are a million stories in the naked dojo, etc.

It depends on what you perceive this Kosen Judo to be. Some say it is strictly self-defense oriented, and others say its emphasis is on newaza, at least there have been discussions on it.

The only really seemingly correct description is the name itself, and it is really two contractions of different words.

If it is the self-defense or strictly go no sen of judo, seeking out a judo dojo which places this higher in the order will probably work.

As I said, there were discussions in this subject here from time to time, so do a search (the search function is at the bottom of the page represented by a large question mark) and see what you come up with.

The last time, it was on what Kosen Judo really meant thus the comments concerning contractions.

Hope it helps some. I don't have the time to do the search right now, as I am getting ready to go out of town come morning. I apologize for that.

Mark

PS: Sorry about that. It is the little picture of the earth with a magnifying glass which takes you to the search function. The ? takes you to the FAQ of E-budo.com

Robert Carver
12th April 2001, 11:12
Hi Matt:

I hate to plug my board, but we discussed this in the past (several times actually) and some of the information we have there may be of help. Check out http://www.budoseek.net/cgi/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000049

Yamantaka
15th April 2001, 10:24
I would like to know...What does Matthew understands as "Kosen Judo"?
Yamantaka

Matthew Banks
15th April 2001, 15:39
Originally posted by Yamantaka
I would like to know...What does Matthew understands as "Kosen Judo"?
Yamantaka

Hi Yamantaka,

Looking on many websites on ''Kosen Judo'' I percieved it as a form of judo which primarily focused on ne-waza.
I believe it originated in a japanese high school, id have to look at the site again to find the name of the place. I saw a picture of the head sensei who taught the kosen branch (now deceased). The reason I was interested in it is because personally I dont like the Gracie jiu jitsu scene in the uk. In my experience on seminars the Gracie jiu jitsu guys are normally very loud and aggresive people with a lot of ego. Im interested in learning ne-waza, but not from these people. e.g. at a recent Gracie Seminar in London, I witnessed a lot of swearing on the mat etc. This is just my opinion and knowone should take my word on this, they should make their own opinion. The only diffrence I saw from kosen judo and kodokan judo was there method of practice. Jigora Kano ,placed restrictions on ne-waza in competions so people concentrated on tachi waza more (I think a sensible idea),what I heard was that the kosen judo people didnt have the same sort of restrictions on ne-waza in competions. Im probably incorrect I hope someone corrects me, so I can get my facts straight. To be truthfull I saw it as ''gracie jiu jitsu without the ego ,media and pollitics etc''. I dont want to spark a war with gjj guys, I dont know what im talking about anyway. Just for me, I couldnt train in that sort of atmosphere (I dont think Id learn anything. Plus I could not afford it (£10 a lesson!!!!!!!). Im sure this does not go for all gjj guys, I had a private lesson with Royce Gracie, and he was a really down to earth genuine bloke, but many other people were not. I saw Kosen Judo as an alternative. Thats all. PLease any more information would be greatly appreciated. Yamantaka Ive read your post with interest, you know what your talking about, Ill be interested on what you have to say in the future.

Matt Banks

Yamantaka
15th April 2001, 18:50
Originally posted by Matthew Banks
Yamantaka Ive read your post with interest, you know what your talking about, Ill be interested on what you have to say in the future.
Matt Banks

YAMANTAKA : Gee...You make me blush, Sir! I do not deserve such compliments. After all, I'm not even a judoka...Seriously, many people disagree with me but with competition many parts of Judo are going the way of endangered species.
If you're not interested in competition and want to get a good judo teacher on NeWaza, Kata or accurate self-defense, you are in trouble, since it's becoming harder and harder to get a teacher specialized in those parts.
In Brazil, we have an interesting phenomenon : judo teachers who were trained with an emphasis in NeWaza, do participate in BJJ competitions and they usually achieve good results. My friend, Serrinha Sensei (Kodokan 6th Dan) is a good example of that. He trained heavily, for all his life, in Judo NeWaza and he does wonders on the ground. BJJ guys are amazed by his techniques and offered him also a JJ 6th Dan. He trains a whole new generation of judoka for winning in BJJ matches.
You may find such a judo teacher but believe me it will be difficult.
Best :drink:

Yamantaka
15th April 2001, 18:50
Originally posted by Matthew Banks
Yamantaka Ive read your post with interest, you know what your talking about, Ill be interested on what you have to say in the future.
Matt Banks

YAMANTAKA : Gee...You make me blush, Sir! I do not deserve such compliments. After all, I'm not even a judoka...Seriously, many people disagree with me but with competition many parts of Judo are going the way of endangered species.
If you're not interested in competition and want to get a good judo teacher on NeWaza, Kata or accurate self-defense, you are in trouble, since it's becoming harder and harder to get a teacher specialized in those parts.
In Brazil, we have an interesting phenomenon : judo teachers who were trained with an emphasis in NeWaza, do participate in BJJ competitions and they usually achieve good results. My friend, Serrinha Sensei (Kodokan 6th Dan) is a good example of that. He trained heavily, for all his life, in Judo NeWaza and he does wonders on the ground. BJJ guys are amazed by his techniques and offered him also a JJ 6th Dan. He trains a whole new generation of judoka for winning in BJJ matches.
You may find such a judo teacher but believe me it will be difficult.
Best :toast: