PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

dr.j.m.wolters
14th April 2001, 14:21
Who can help to translate the word "with" from English to Japanese ? The Kanji seems to be the following:

What's the name, whow to spell ? Is it "nô" ?

Thank You for being helpful.

Regards
dr.j.m.wolters
www.budo-paedagogik.de

Eric L. Spoonhunter
14th April 2001, 19:31
On its most basic level, the hiragana character ‚Æ is pronounced "to" (like "toe"), meaning AND.

Of course, depending on context and usage, it can take on many meanings.

dr.j.m.wolters
15th April 2001, 08:18
Thank you, Eric !
I would like to translate the German term "Karate mit Geist" (what should express a serious study of Karate and its philosophical meaning) - in English probably "Karate with spirit" (or "soul" ?) - in Japanese language/pronunciation.
"Geist" / "spirit", so far as I know, in Japanese is "SHIN".("KARATE xxx SHIN")
Can you or someone else please give me an advice ?
Regards
Jörg

Eric L. Spoonhunter
19th April 2001, 19:08
Dr. Wolters,

I wish I could help you more, but...

The hiragana character you questioned is pretty basic stuff that I remember from my college-level Japanese courses.

I am sorry to say that I feel less than qualified to comment on your translation of "Karate with Spirit". Probably best left to a native Japanese speaker or someone who is otherwise qualified... jump in any time, guys :D

I will say this... two kanji for you to consider with regard to spirit are ?S (can be pronounced "shin", or "kokoro", with the latter being the more indigenous Japanese pronunciation, I believe), and ?_ (also pronounced "shin", with this one having a meaning closer to "soul" than "spirit"). I am speaking of pronunciation and meanings that may best suit you, by the way. Keep in mind that there is a plethora of other ways to interpret these kanji (my disclaimer ;) )

At any rate, these are just some ideas that I have thrown your way. Hopefully someone can better help you with the actual phraseology.

Good luck!

dr.j.m.wolters
20th April 2001, 06:21
Thank you very much, Eric !
Sincerely Your's
Jörg Wolters

P Goldsbury
20th April 2001, 23:58
'Karate to Kokoro' sounds odd to me and the reason is that the two items do not seem to be closely related. Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba wrote a book, 'Aikido-no-Kokoro", which was translated as 'The Spirit of Aikido' and this seems to be more in line with what you are thinking.

I have two colleagues at Hiroshima University who perhaps can help you. One is a Japanese professor who did his doctorate in Germany on the subject of the martial arts. The other is a German colleague who practised aikido with me here. Her Japanese is very good.

If you contact me privately, I will introduce you to them.

Best regards,

Peter Goldsbury

P A Goldsbury, Ph.D,
Graduate School of Social Sciences,
Hiroshima University
Japan

dr.j.m.wolters
21st April 2001, 16:20
Dear Mr. Goldbury
thank you very much being helpful.
I will follow your nice invitation and will contact you privately.
Best regards
Jörg Wolters

Karl Friday
23rd April 2001, 14:02
Originally posted by dr.j.m.wolters
I would like to translate the German term "Karate mit Geist" (what should express a serious study of Karate and its philosophical meaning) - in English probably "Karate with spirit" (or "soul" ?) - in Japanese language/pronunciation.

I'd probably turn "karate mit geist" (or the English, "karate with spirit") into "seishin o fukumu karate." But that still sounds a little funny to my ear--probably because the Japanese makes too explicit a connection between karate and something that even non-budoka Japanese would take for granted. It's a little like titling a book "Christianity that Involves God."

dr.j.m.wolters
23rd April 2001, 16:57
Daer Mr. Friday,

thank you very much for your replay.

I should explain what I would very much like to express: "Karate mit Geist" / "Karate with spirit" means (in German interpretation) the opposite of dull, insipid, stupid Karate, which is Karate just as sport or to prove oneself in competitions. "Karate MIT Geist" means to study (the Art of Budo / Karate-Do) "heartfully", intellectual, mental, with all ones mind, spirit and soul (SEISHIN / KOKORO - I guess). Therefore it makes sense to express the idea / ideal of real true serious practice.

Best regards,
yours
Jörg Wolters

Ed Howard
3rd May 2001, 14:04
Dear Dr Wolters
With regards to your enquiry, as the other members suggest
karate no kokoro is I think a good translation.
If you want to get the "heartfully" through how about
Karate wa kokoro kara - Karate stems from the heart/soul/spirit
Hope this helps
Ed Howard

University of Sheffield
Dept of East Asian Studies
MA Advanced Japanese

dr.j.m.wolters
3rd May 2001, 17:48
Dear Ed Howard,
Thank you very much.
Greetings from Germany