PDA

View Full Version : Magazine: "Hiden Budo & Bujutsu"

Jiaozi
25th March 2001, 19:05
A friend of mine is in Tokyo now. Do any of you know any bookshops where you can buy current and previous copies of the Hiden magazine.

Can you recommend any other Japanese magazines on Koryu Budo?

Thanks.

william jensen
25th March 2001, 20:13
Any of the large bookstores in Tokyo should carry the Hiden magazine (Kinokuniya, Sanseido, Maruzen, etc.)
As for back issues, try the Shosen Book Tower (apologies if that's not the proper name - it's been more than two
years since I was there) which is just south of Akihabara Station on Showa Dori and has an extensive stock. The store also carries the Budokan's videos of the various classical ryu.

Regards,

Wm Jensen

AAC
26th March 2001, 12:45
....hummmmm, like at about any bookstore in Japan. Your friend should have no problem in Tokyo. "Hiden Budo & Bujutsu" is published by BAB (Japan Shuppan Kyoku) They do "not" have overseas subscriptions.. (that was a few years ago when I contacted the company) Sence then I've done just about everything, to secure copies of "HIDEN". Up untill now it's been a major pain. If your looking for more than one issue try Sasugabooks at www.sasugabooks.com They have 1/year and 6/months packages at a markup price, but that includes shipping. I'll leave the quality of infomation, for others to debate. (hey... it does have cool photos) Also, the publication "FURYU"... is the BEST English budo journal. Make sure to check it out!

richie
26th March 2001, 18:28
Does anyone have any back issues of Hiden for sale?
Prob not, but it's worth asking. Thanks.

R. Rivera

W.Bodiford
30th March 2001, 06:29
Many bookstores in Tokyo maintain large sections on martial arts. For back issues of magazines and books that are out of print, though, in my experience the best one usually is Takayama Honten in the Jinbocho used book town section of Kanda. Takayama Honten is located in the ground level of the multi-story building known as "Kanda Kosho Sentaa (Center)." It is about 30 feet West from the A-6 exit out of the Jinbocho subway station. Their phone number is: 03-3261-2661.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Jiaozi
5th April 2001, 17:24
Thank you all for the information you so kindly provided. I'm anxious to see which magazines my friend could obtain and brush up my Japanese.

Joe Crumley
6th April 2001, 23:03
Are you still in Tennessee?

John Lindsey
14th April 2001, 20:00
Last month in Japan, like on all my visits, I sifted through the back issues of Hiden magazine to see if there are any worth buying. Granted, I cannot read Japanese, but I have found some of them of value in the past, mostly for some rare photos or artwork, or interviews worth having translated.

I only found two worth getting this time. Sadly, the magazine seems to be having problems with content. Maybe the whole notion of having koryu expose their "hiden" in a magazine is flawed.

Take for example the latest issue which features a photo of a Japanese actor holding a sword. He looks a bit uncomfortable with it, but I don't know how much training he has had...

I noticed that they now call it Hiden budo and bujutsu.

Oh, and the Bujinkan is getting a lot of coverage.

WillyNinja
15th April 2001, 00:52
That must really chap your ass, Hatsumi's getting monthly coverage in Hiden. I was looking at it, he gets quite a little spread, they even cover the US TaiKai.

How's that feel? I guess winning some court case over some silly Menkyo ain't what it's about, hmmm? Real Mastery might have nothing to do with how many students of Takamatsu you chase around and ass kiss 'til they cough up some Menkyo so you'll leave them alone. I bet they must have been chapped about how Takamatsu-sensei just passed them all up too and handed it all to Hatsumi. Makes ya think, huh? Makes you wonder? and chaps your ass?

-RedNeck Willy

WillyNinja
15th April 2001, 01:02
If you are at Shibuya Station, there's the starbucks right under the three big TV screens. Well, walk across the street from the station, at the Starbucks, take the right fork, about two blocks up on the right there's a 6-floor bookstore, if I remember correctly, it has a large sign at street level that says BOOKS. Anyway, on the fourth or fifth floor, there's a whole budo section, vids, books, mags, they have tons of back issues, usually for the last two or three years, they keep it in stock pretty regularly.

John Lindsey
15th April 2001, 01:14
No, it doesn't chap my ass. What does is posts like yours. It is so off base that its not worth replying to really.

Harold James
17th April 2001, 23:02
Originally posted by John Lindsey

Sadly, the magazine seems to be having problems with content. Maybe the whole notion of having koryu expose their "hiden" in a magazine is flawed.

Yes, the magazine is not exactly consistant in quality. One must pick and choose... look first and if there is something worth the 990 yen then buy it. But occasionally there is something worth reading in it. It does have a current events listing, but that's really only good if one lives in Japan.

And yes, THE WHOLE NOTION OF HAVING KORYU EXPOSE THEIR "HIDEN" IN A MAGAZINE IS FLAWED.

jtweymo
18th April 2001, 07:10
Okay things have changed, hopefully I am doing this right.
That was quite a shot that Mr. linsdey took, sorry about
that John. "Chap his ass"?!? Good Lord man, how rude.

Paul Steadman
21st April 2001, 15:24
Hi everyone,

John posted: ......"Maybe the whole notion of having koryu expose their "hiden" in a magazine is flawed."

Surely you're not suggesting that the more legit koryu styles featured in "Hiden Koryu BUjutsu" are really exposing their hiden or okuden/oku-iri teachings are you?

Cheers,

Paul Steadman

John Lindsey
21st April 2001, 17:33
Paul,

Of course not. My point is that the name of the magazine is more of a marketing idea rather than a "mission statement" of the company. Obviously they are a business and are in the business of selling magazines and videos.

It seems to me that their criteria for article selection is growing wider.

Heck, I saw a picture of Meik Skoss in it one time, sitting next to what I think was a Mac computer. I am waiting to get a call from them about doing an article about e-budo. But, since they don't pay for articles (from what I heard) I might not be interested :).

The weirdest thing I saw on it was a certain fellow who looked to be teaching some form of aiki based art in which his ki would send his students tumbling backwards down a soccer field.

They do have a sense of humor though...they always put a Genbukan video advert at the end of Hatsumi Sensei's articles :). Oh, and I think it is good to see Hatsumi get so much press. Though some might not like his methods, his message often rings true to those who take the time to understand it.

WarriorAssasin
29th June 2001, 01:50
Guys (John/ Janty)

I respect you both but can you advise
which is what and what was the court case thing
that WillNinja was talking about.

All these rumours about both of them is wierd

Can you please verify

Thanks

WARRIORASSASIN

Brett Sommerville

John Lindsey
29th June 2001, 12:35
Trial was between Tanemura Sensei and his brother, over family land. The brother is a friend of Hatsumi and tried to discredit Sensei by saying his claim to Gikan ryu was not true. Sensei knew the law, and told the judge that those who are attacking his claim to Gikan ryu first need to show THEIR proof of being soke. He said this since he knew that Hatsumi had no Gikan ryu scroll. No proof was shown and the whole "Gikan" thing was dropped. I think the Judge chewed out the brother due to not following protocol and might have fined him as well.

Once when I was in Japan, an Attorney was in contact with Sensei about someone else who was questioning Sensei's claim for Kukishin-ryu. Sensei showed his Kukishin-ryu scrolls and the case never made it to court.

Don Cunningham
29th June 2001, 12:59
Sorry, double post. I thought my browser crashed before it was accepted.

Don Cunningham
29th June 2001, 12:59
I am not a student of either school. In fact, I keep getting mixed up about which one is head of which style, but I have my own opinions and can add my 2 cents worth.

I met Hatsumi sensei many years ago in Japan and talked about my then very limited knowledge of jutte and asked him many questions. He was quite a gentleman and very knowledgable about feudal Japanese history, his ninja claims aside. When I was writing my book much later, I thought it would a good idea to ask if he was interested in writing an introduction. I tried contacting him by mail and received a reply from some English-speaking "assistant" and expatriot. He wanted me to pay him (1) to translate my letter into Japanese and (2) to pass my request on to Hatsumi sensei. I could maybe understand the former, but the latter was just too much. I wasn't about to pay somebody for "permission" to write to Hatsumi sensei and couldn't believe he has insulated himself from the outside with such greedy individuals.

I have never met Tanemura sensei, but his writings and videos about jutte and truncheon arts are very historically accurate and well done. I did send complimentary copies of my book to both, but I never received even an acknowledgement, much less a brief thank you from him.

Okay, it's just my opinions based on my limited exposure to both these individuals. I think they both have a lot to offer, but success has attracted a ring of followers who are a bit too zealous in protecting these individuals from others.

John Anderson
29th June 2001, 23:07
Originally posted by Don Cunningham
I met Hatsumi sensei many years ago in Japan and talked about my then very limited knowledge of jutte and asked him many questions. He was quite a gentleman and very knowledgable about feudal Japanese history, his ninja claims aside. When I was writing my book much later, I thought it would a good idea to ask if he was interested in writing an introduction. I tried contacting him by mail and received a reply from some English-speaking "assistant" and expatriot. He wanted me to pay him (1) to translate my letter into Japanese and (2) to pass my request on to Hatsumi sensei. I could maybe understand the former, but the latter was just too much. I wasn't about to pay somebody for "permission" to write to Hatsumi sensei and couldn't believe he has insulated himself from the outside with such greedy individuals.

Hatsumi Sensei has not "insulated himself from the outside" - you don't need anybody's "permission" to write a letter to him. However, if you don't have the good sense or manners to have that letter written in a language which he can read (ie Japanese), then I don't see how you can complain if he doesn't, in fact, read it. I actually think that you've got a bit of a cheek if you seriously expect him to go to the trouble of translating your own letter for you.

I also find it interesting that you would try to get Hatsumi Sensei to write an introduction for your book when you don't have any association with him or his organisation (after all, you can't even remember which organisation he heads) Could it be that you wanted to use his name to shift a few more copies of your book?

I don't know the full facts of what went on between you and the English speaking individual to whom you refer and if he did ask for money just to pass on your letter, then that is wrong. However, I see absolutely nothing wrong in offering to translate your letter for a fee, particularly when you were hoping to gain something for you book which is, after all, a commercial enterprise.

John Lindsey
30th June 2001, 05:37
Don,

I think if you could have translated your book into Japanese, Hatsumi might have been able to read it and thus maybe right an intro.

As for Tanemura Sensei, the best way to reach him is by email. I can pass on anything you want me to ask.

popupsoldier
12th April 2002, 05:42
Would anyone be able to tell me if a 12 month subscription to 'Hiden' magazine is worth the money for a non-Japanese speaker?
Click to see 'Hiden' Magazine here (http://www.sasugabooks.com/store/browse.html?title=hiden&medium=magazine&hence)

shinbushi
12th April 2002, 15:55
I read Hiden a lot as our Grandmaster has articles all the time. I would not get it for just the pictures as there are not that many great ones.

fifthchamber
12th April 2002, 16:32
Hello Sir,
I would not think that a subscription to the magazine is worth the cash if you cannot read Japanese. It is a fair amount to pass over for what is essentially only the photos!
Hiden is an excellent magazine...Full of good articles and viewpoints but it is based for a Japanese readership and although it contains photos and illustrations the whole point of the article may pass you by if you can't understand some of it...
I myself cannot read fluently in Japanese...But I can read well enough to get to the 'gist' of it. This is really all you should need to get something out of Hiden..
Try one or two editions of the magazine...Then if you feel you cannot do without them subscribe..But get one first or you risk a waste of cash..
Try to buy one magazine from Buyubooks; www.buyubooks.com/browse.cfm?type=M
See how you get on with that..
Abayo.:wave:

Nathan Scott
12th April 2002, 18:08
"Hiden" magazine is a damn fine publication, but it is quite expensive if you don't live in Japan.

The only criticism I'd offer about the mag is that it is owned by BAB Japan Company, which is a very popular video/book publishing company. As such, the budo-ka featured in the magazine tend to be those that have video tapes or books for sale through their parent company. Pretty smart marketing.

That is why sometimes you'll see some really interesting people in the magazine, next to some really hoaky people.

It is a great magazine, but like most business, they are in the business of making money.

Regards,

allan
12th April 2002, 19:53
Mr. Oldham,

I would NOT recommend subscribing to Hiden without a fairly good knowledge of Japanese. You will be left with pictures, which I venture are hardly worth the price. If pictures you want,there are always books to buy (like Draeger's) with great pictures and text that you can comprehend.

How about a subscription to Furyu instead (www.furyu.com) or a copy of one of Diane Skoss' books (www.koryu.com)?

Abayo,