PDA

View Full Version : First techniques.

Hayate
26th June 2000, 10:40
As time goes by training in Aikido,i find a difficulty practising the first techniques and specialy ikkyo.I think it is because i am looking into these techniques and trying to make them work at their best,and because of that i face many obstacles.On the contrary ,my kokyu-nage's are advancing along with my ki-techniques and motion.
What do you think?

Mike Collins
27th June 2000, 22:16
Ikkyo is the first technique we learn not because it is the easiest to "get", but because it is a building block and, as such it is a very deep, difficult practice. Persevere.

Gil Gillespie
28th June 2000, 02:54
Hayate, please remember to sign your full name to your posts as it is not your "E-budo handle."

This touches directly on an evolution of mine (see ikkyo: technique or principle in this forum). For years I did ikkyo as a technique, but after seeing it applied in so many different contexts I'm coming to see ikkyo as a principle, applicable to not only various attacks but different de-ai within those attacks.

Every attack has a gathering zone, where the attacker is weak, a POA (point of attack) zone where the force is maximized and the focus of the attack is realized, the attacker's strongest zone, and then a zone of dissipation, where the attacker is off-balance and over-extended and is again weak.

We as Aikidoka are taught to encounter uke in zones 1 and 3. Yet I've seen (and felt) ikkyo done powerfully in zone 2 with strong blending spirals and koshi mawari. I'm learning to learn to expand the parameters of my definition of ikkyo.
This constant opening of new perspectives remains my great hook in Aikido.

Not knowing your experience level I would surmise your growing facility with kokyu-nage to be commensurate with your growing ability to blend effectively and redirect uke's attack with your growing awareness of ki, hara, misubi, and other qualities that seemed nebulous abstractions to you months and years ago. I love kokyu-nage, especially taking ukemi out of its blending force.

Please fire away at the holes in this view. Any day I can learn something is a good day for me & I have long depended on my E-budo brothers and sisters in that pursuit.

MarkF
28th June 2000, 10:04
Hayate,
Just a friendly reminder. It is policy to sign with your full name, although you may use an initial for the first name with your last name. You can set up the signature block to do this, or it can be your user name. The signature is easiest, as it is the default setting.

Thanks,

Hayate
28th June 2000, 12:39
Dear MarkF,

I'll keep in mind signing all my postings from now on.

Thank you very much.

--------------------------
Hayate Takahashi

Chad Bruttomesso
28th June 2000, 15:37
Thanks to all of the members who chimed in about posting with full name.

It is a required practice here on E-Budo. When typing a witty reply it is easy to forget to add a signature ,but, required.

Thank you everyone.

Mark Jakabcsin
30th June 2000, 00:32
Hayate wrote: "As time goes by training in Aikido,i find a difficulty practising the first techniques and specialy ikkyo.I think it is because i am looking into these techniques and trying to make them work at their best,and because of that i face many obstacles."

Hayate,
When you state that you are having difficulty practising the technique do you mean that you feel your ability to do these techniques has degraded or that you are having trouble focusing on these techniques while training? I have experienced both feelings and took different approaches to overcome both.

Also please share with us what you have learned about ikkyo as you have 'looked into the technique'. I love hearing other peoples thoughts and thought processes, it frequently helps me see new avenues to explore and new ways of viewing the same material. Thanks

mark