PDA

View Full Version : Formal attire

Paburo
19th April 2001, 02:44
Hi!! Question??

On Iaido, Iaijutsu, or kenjutsu in special ceremonies or demonstrations it is used a montskui & a formal hakama right?

Does that depends on the ranking of the student or on the criteria of the school each student belongs??

Pablo Rosado

Independent sword.

"I, myself knows the destiny of my path"

socho
19th April 2001, 04:37
Pablo,
I have been told that normally only fourth dan and above wear montsuki for demonstrations. It is only for formal occasions, not for competition.

hyaku
19th April 2001, 06:58
Montsuki/Hakama is formal attire in Japan and has no connections with rank. I always wear mine on special occasions.

Nowadays there are few Japanese men that know how to dress correctly in japanese attire. On the occasion of getting married they go to the wedding hall before time for someone to help them put it on. I have helped people a few times.

A woman's kimono has always been a pairwork job. Women almost always have to help each other dress.

Hope this helps

Hyakutake Colin

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword

Paburo
19th April 2001, 12:13
So!!! hayaku

you practice swordmanship???
And there is no problems with any rank or title to go to a demostration with your formal attire???

cause like SOCHO said there's is people that said about foruth dan and above.
But i really think that's not the case on iai or kenjutsu.

Pablo Rosado
Kenshiteiru
independent sword

socho
20th April 2001, 03:33
I must admit, I have worn montsuki for formal (batto) demos and was not 4th dan. They look great, but are quite expensive. You must also consider what mon to wear and why. I had permission to wear my sensei's family crest. Not sure that it is appropriate to just pick one that looks 'cool'. Comments?

Paburo
20th April 2001, 13:54
Acttually!! mine doesn't have any mon.