PDA

View Full Version : Kwon Tabi

shinja
19th April 2001, 15:04
Anyone out there have an opinion about the Tabi that Kwon sells?

How durable are they and how does the velcro they use to close theirs up compare to the metal hooks others use?

Thanks!

PghRonin
19th April 2001, 19:50
I didn't get my tabi from Kwon but the tabi I got have velcro closure and in my opinion the metal hooks are much better. I am geting a refund on my tabi.

malhab
19th April 2001, 23:52
I too dont know about tabi from kwon, all i can say is this, i dont trust tabi, first of all, the foot material is too thin, if ever you would use them, theres a good chance that you could get injured by stepping on a sharp object(nails, glass, thorns, etc). Second, the ninja of the past didnt wear tabi aswell, they wore the black foot fabric (the sock like fabric with the split in the middle) and a good pair of wooden japanese sandals, so if you were going to wear ninjutsu gear, i would go for a good pair of black tennis shoes.

Aric
20th April 2001, 01:37
Originally posted by malhab
I too dont know about tabi from kwon, all i can say is this, i dont trust tabi, first of all, the foot material is too thin, if ever you would use them, theres a good chance that you could get injured by stepping on a sharp object(nails, glass, thorns, etc). Second, the ninja of the past didnt wear tabi aswell, they wore the black foot fabric (the sock like fabric with the split in the middle) and a good pair of wooden japanese sandals, so if you were going to wear ninjutsu gear, i would go for a good pair of black tennis shoes.

Erm... the sock with the split IS tabi. The kind with rubber soles are called 'jika tabi' and are worn by carpenters and contruction workers in japan.

They are not a ninja thing, that is correct. However, the wearing of REAL tabi (the cotton or suede soled variety) is a martial tradition in japan. Essentially, when you entered a room you removed your shoes (sandals) leaving only your tabi on your feet. Such would be the case with a dojo as well. Therefore tabi have been developed with a more durable sole (more durable than regular socks). These tabi are worn by 'ninja' and other budoka alike.

Steven, if you are thinking of tabi for outdoor training, he is right: get a good pair of shoes (try wrestling shoes too).

For indoor training, either go barefoot, wear wrestling shoes, or get some good indoor tabi (the kind you buy at most import stores fall apart in one session).

Going back to your original question: with INDOOR tabi, the velcro works just dandy.

shinja
20th April 2001, 15:38
Originally posted by Aric

Steven, if you are thinking of tabi for outdoor training, he is right: get a good pair of shoes (try wrestling shoes too).

For indoor training, either go barefoot, wear wrestling shoes, or get some good indoor tabi (the kind you buy at most import stores fall apart in one session).

Going back to your original question: with INDOOR tabi, the velcro works just dandy.

Thanks for the input.

I had planned on buying a pair of tabi for indoor tabi, but was undecided on outdoor shoes. (actually, Converse makes a pair of all black Chuck Taylors which I had considered :smokin: ).

Hey Aric, see ya in Tulsa!