PDA

View Full Version : Generic Koryu Bujutsu

Paul Steadman
24th April 2001, 12:13
To All Legit Koryu Instructors,

I have noticed a trend over the past 5 years here in Australia within the koryu community, where koryu shibucho have formulated what I term 'Generic Koryu Bujutsu,' programs in their dojo.

These programs utilise general Nihon-den jujutsu & bukijutsu techniques and are are based on the respective shibucho's experience, training in Japan and their insight into contemporary Australian society & culture.

The 'Generic Koryu Bujutsu,' class is usually used as a basic introduction to the sensei's respective mainline koryu art and acts as a buffer for his/her mainline art and is usually open to the public (read masses). The generic material taught is basic, functional and effective and is based on the sensei's mainline art and contains no karate + judo x aikido / kick-boxing = jujutsu formula (read nonsense)!

If a student of the generic bujutsu class shows promise and has been diligent in training, the sensei may invite the student to apply to become a member of the mainline ryu, on a trial basis. Membership is by invitation only and may require the potential monjin to furnish references and undergo an interview.

I was wondering if the above trend is evident in North America and Europe. I can recall one of the authors of D. Skoss' books does something similar (can't remember the name of the sensei). I believe that some sensei in Japan also teach a generic program along side their respective koryu arts.

I'd be interested in any feedback from koryu practitioners in Nth America and Europe. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your valuable time and assistance.

Regards,

Paul Steadman

johan smits
24th April 2001, 14:31
Hi Paul,

Koryu in Europe is still difficult to find and in my experience most practitioners have already a background in modern arts. Most teachers I know are pretty easy going were it concerns people interested in training. You want to train, you come in and we'll give it a try. Don't think koryu is taught commercially around here, not by the "authentic" teachers that is.
But then our "authentic" might very well differ from your "authentic".

In the thread "westernized jujutsu" I made a suggestion about a "koryu no kata" for westernized jujutsu in the hope to get a discussion going.
I think it is possible and if people who are qualified to do so, participate in it such forms could be very helpful.

Best Regards,

Johan Smits

Paul Steadman
1st May 2001, 05:34
Come on guys,

Surely someone involved in koryu in North America or Europe has some info for me on the above topic?

I'm not talking about made-up crap here, I'm referring to koryu shibucho who've actually trained in Japan and who've etsblished branch dojo in their respective home country.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Paul Steadman

Eric Baluja
2nd May 2001, 12:47
Originally posted by Paul Steadman
I can recall one of the authors of D. Skoss' books does something similar (can't remember the name of the sensei).
Just FYI, you're referring to Ellis Amdur, who in his essay "Koryu Meets the West" (in Ms. Skoss' first book Koryu Bujutsu: Classical Warrior Traditions of Japan) talks about a set of five techniques that he created as a "firewall" between prospective students and the actual ryu-ha he teaches. He describes them as being in full keeping with the ryugi of those traditions without giving away the "family secrets."

As for your question, I'm afraid I'm wholly unqualified to answer. I will mention (and hopefully this won't garner me a thwack on the head with a bokken) that I know of one koryu instructor in the U.S. that teaches a "generic" kenjutsu class based on the ZNKR kata and his koryu kenjutsu experience (Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, etc.).

All the best,

Eric Baluja