PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps I am just being sentimental, don’t know….

Budo00
25th April 2001, 02:54
Perhaps I am just being sentimental, don’t know….

I just wanted to voice my opinion on the art of aikido. In an other thread, there is some discussion as to whether or not aikido should become competitive. This has suddenly got me thinking about my life and some other things, namely the meaning of the word aikido, the style it's self and my perceptions of the art.

Never has so much a type of martial art/lifestyle/way of thinking touched my heart in a way that the small amount of teaching I have had in aikido has. Even though I have barely begun to understand the concepts and spiritual teachings, the words I have heard and read make sense in a way that cannot be properly explained in mere writings or in a way that my mind can fully understand…. It just makes sense and feels right to me. It is almost like I have had this experience before. What does this mean?

I have barely had a taste of the training but the spiritual and psychological concepts have manifested it’s self in virtually every aspect of my life. Truth is not biased. It is truth no matter if we resist it or not, it just is. It is a law of the universe. (Not that I can ever pretend to know what that means, but it sounds good!)

I don’t know if I am reading too much in to O-sensei’s teachings but there is some thing very liberating when one suddenly realizes that pugilism is the lowest form of human conduct. I am beginning to realize that this sort of training is so simple but yet, complex as the most difficult mathematical equation and will take a lifetime to discover.
”Perfection is not a destination, but merely a path to travel. It is not until we die that we are truly perfect.”- My sensei said that once and it is beginning to make more sense.

In the past, I have often wondered where this knowledge O-sensei received came from. I realize it “just is” and in the long run, it does not matter where it came from but how we use it. He became liberated but lived long enough to transmit and unravel laws of nature to help mankind and help others decide whether or not to save our own souls and to help those in need, even if they try to hurt us. - I want to believe I know this but it is just words and not internalized.

There is more information at this moment available to us than ever before in history, in any kingdom or country, through out the history of mankind. I hope we can use it wisely.

Even though, tonight I can voice my opinions, I am sure that I will once again loose this fleeting grasp and have to start over. I am thankful that; at this moment, a small amount of information makes sense to me.

Dean Nelson