PDA

View Full Version : Finding traditional Motobu-Ryu Teacher

stephen Heldt
25th April 2001, 03:14
Hello and thank you to those who can help me. I am looking for a traditional Go-Ten-Te instructor or also know as Motobu Ryu. Do I have to go to Okinawa or is there someone here in Canada or the U.S. who is certified?

I thank you again for your patience and understanding

Stephen Heldt

kusanku
25th April 2001, 05:15
Stephen-
Seidokan Shorin ryu teaches Motobu-ryu as part of its system.

Its instructor, Shian Toma, is I believe the successor apparent to Seikichi Uehara of Motobu ryu, or at least a senior student of his.

They have dojo in the US and possibly in Canada.

Do a search for them and see.

They are the only legitimate teachers of this system I know of in the West, though perhaps there may be one or two I haven't heard of.

Do Not believe the claims of another organization using the name motobu ryu in their ads.They are Not connected with it, really.

Seidokan Shorinryu is direct lineage to Motobu ryu.

gokenkan
12th May 2001, 04:43
Toma Shian sensei calls his style Seidokan Motoburyu. The senior most practitioner in the USA is Col. Roy J. Hobbs Hanshi Kudan.

Contact me privatly and I will be happy to answer any questions

Mike Jones
Seidokan Motoburyu Godan/Shihan
Zen Okinawa seidokan Karate Kobudo Renmei

gokenkan
14th May 2001, 17:58
Toma shian sensei is a senior student of Uehara sensei (was graded to Kudan by Uehara). He calls what he teaches Seidokan Motoburyu because he teaches Karate kata as well as the Udundi.

Most of the Motoburyu groups out side of Okinawa are under the direction of Toma Shian or in Japan under Motobu Chosei sensei.

We are in no way affiliated with Sackronoski(?)

Mike Jones

Hank Irwin
16th May 2001, 02:11
Sensei Jody Paul is a senior student of Toma Sensei and resides in N.C. Send me a private email for more info if you'd like.

Hank Irwin
16th May 2001, 02:14
There will be a seminar in Aug. of this year in Pa. I believe. Toma Sensei will be there.

gokenkan
23rd May 2001, 03:14
Toma sensei will not be at the clinic due to back problems.

Mike Jones