PDA

View Full Version : A new rambling Scotch and Whisky thread

Neil Yamamoto
26th April 2001, 00:35
It's way too quiet in the food and drink scene.

So here are some newly tasted scotches and whiskies I have encountered.

Black Bull
OK, so it's a blend. But a good one. It packs some power behind it, kind of like Jon Bluming whacking you upside the head. But still pretty smooth and good flavor. I think its at least 50% pure malt since it has a good flavor, some smoke, just a bit of sherry flavoring and maltiness A bit harsh in finish but you get nice and warm from the back of your throat all the way down to your stomach.

It's from the John Gross & Co which makes the Prime Malt series. Used to be pretty popular in the States in the 1960's -1970's so the old winos at the state stores tell me.
-----
Lammerlaw New Zealand Single Malt
This is made in the traditional Scots style only in New Zealand. It reminds me of a cross between a midlands bourbon casked Scotch Whisky like Dalwhinnie and Irish Whiskey. A little hint of a bite in the mouth, but lots of fruit and honey flavor, nice long smooth finish with just a hint of smoke. Worth buying
-----
Islay Dew
This is a vatting, not a blend of the Islay malts. It has a nice light feel to it not at all like a Laphroig or Lagavuvalin. It is not overly peated or smokey. Overall it reminds me more of the Bruichladdich Scotches I have sampled. Light crisp mouth feel with all the stuff that make an Islay whisky mingling in the background. A good introduction to the Islay stuff.
-----
Ardbeg 17 year, 1998 bottling
Smoky, Peaty, Heathery, Iodine, Seaweed, Salt with a long lingering peaty finish. Extremely well balanced.
-----
Dalmore Cigar whisky
Unless you are puffing on a cigar, don't bother with this one. The aroma is very nice but the taste is very unbalanced. BUT - sip it with a stogie and it blends very nicely with the cigar. Nuff said on this one.
-----
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 and 15 year old bourbon
OK so this isn't a Scotch, what are you going to do? Beat me up? Try this out. The Van Winkle stuff is just drop dead killer bourbons. Smooth, rich taste, vanilla, oak, honey, corn sweetness in the background balanced out with some wheat. The 10 has a little more bite to it then the 15 with not quite as smooth a finish. Small differences but noticeable.

The rye whisky is great as well.
-----

john mark
26th April 2001, 10:51
With all due respect to single malt guys, I'm very partial to the blended stuff. For friends, Johnny Walker Blue and Gold is always on hand, as well as Monte Cristo Petit Tubos.

Asia
26th April 2001, 11:12
I lean towards double Malts myself. There is a Japanese Whiskey called 'Nikkei' (?) that comes in a very beutiful samurai bottle. The cap is actuall a cast metal kabuto. It is smooth with a great taste. I recommend to all.

Michael Becker
26th April 2001, 11:31
There are some very good blends. I have a little left of the Chivas Regal Century of Malts limited edition. It is very nice-better than more than a few malts I have tried.

Threads like this do nothing for my bank balance ( or liver )...

john mark
26th April 2001, 12:01
Chivas Royal Salute is also quite good!

Michael Becker
26th April 2001, 18:12
My bank manager is crying...but the credit card company has just had the lobby redone in marble.