PDA

View Full Version : Paris Taikai

hsuntzu
3rd May 2001, 12:07
It was nice. Some short comings, but overall, I had a good time. Nice memories. How was it for everyone else? Too bad the e-budo dudes couldn't get together face to face.

I'm in London right now... I'll stop by the one of the dojo's here (probably the one at Danceworks on Friday night). I leave London on Sat 5/5 so, I guess I won't be able to make it to Mizuno-sensei's dojo... according to Mizuno-sensei when I talked to him during the Taikai.

Gassho

Steve Williams
3rd May 2001, 22:58
Hi Yoshi

Sorry I missed you at the Taikai (great translating job you did).

The Danceworks Dojo is one of Mizuno Sensei's....... So you will hopefully be able to see him. They train from 6pm to 8pm, unfortunately I don't finish work until 6pm and it would take me more than 1 hour to get there, so I don't train there. :(

Have fun.

Phong Nguyen-Le
4th May 2001, 01:12
So what did everyone think of the Taikai? What were some of the highlights or things that you remembered the most? Do tell :)

Wish I could have been there... Cheers
Phong Nguyen-Le

Mäki-Kuutti Vesa
4th May 2001, 18:18
Gassho!

One of the memorable things in Paris was for me to meet and practise with kenshi from Branches all over
the world. Melbourne - Sydney - Geneve - Tokyo - Rakuto doin - San Fransisco - Mt Diablo - Toronto - Stockholm - Karlstad - Helsinki - Amsterdam - Paris - Malaga - Rome ....
And countries Japan, Malesia, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, U.K. , Canada, USA, France, Germany, Brasil,
Switzerland, Holland, Ukraine, Russia, Sweden, Spain, Italy. It was fantastic.

And all the senseis to see. I wish I could have stopped the time and have change to study the teachings of numerous Japanese Senseis. One of the most memorable were Sensei yamasaki with his very personal and impressive style and great humour:" You must start to think with your right side of the brain, make a visual image of the technique, forget the words! Watch ME You cannot learn this from the video, this is a secret you can learn only by my magic touch. Another was sensei Hanaka, to put a man unconcious and wake him with one little movement, just like nothing had happend. And of course there was the grand old sensei with a lot of dignity Mr Suzuki.

I was also very happy to see the members of Morikawa family; father Zeoh who is a very honouralble strong man in his gay long beard, and his sons Kazuhito and Hirohito who became second in the Embu Taikai with same points as the winners, but lost their win in only
one badly balanced Ipponsenage in the beginning of their Embu.

Thank You to all old and new friends, met on the Taikai.

I Hope to see some of you in Jyväskylä Finland 7-8-9-september this year when Senseis Tsunehiro Arai, Takashi So, Kawashima, Chikara and others come
to have a regional Scandinavian and Eastern Europe Camp.

hsuntzu
7th May 2001, 04:40
Well, I did make it to the Danceworks dojo in London, and yes got to train with Mizuno-sensei. I must have misunderstood something during the Taikai... I thought Mizuno-sensei had said he may or maynot make it that particular Friday night. Anyway, at the end of the day, things went well in London. Special thanks to Julian and Indar, and of course Mizuno-sensei.

Taikai wise... let's see the most memorable moment personally was when I did a Japanese to Japanese translation when it was suppose to be Japanese to English during the closing ceremony!!

Quite interesting was the Indonesian group not coming to the seminar portion completely... I guess they only came to the Embu-taikai part??

Gassho,

Anders Pettersson
11th May 2001, 16:29
Gassho.

As the others I really enjoyed meeting a lot of friends from different countries (John, Nick, Steve to mention a few) and of course making some new.
It isn't every day one can do that.
It was also good to meet some of the guys posting here face to face. Unfortunately we didn't get any good time to have an E-budo gathering.

The teachers was great, such as all the Hombu instructors (Arai-sensei never stops to amaze me), it was also great to meet some of other teachers that one have met before, like Fujimoto-sensei, Sanada-sensei, more or less all the Hombu staff.
But for myself I really appreciated to meet with Morikawa-sensei and his sons.

As for practice it was very good to practice together with some of ones good friends and in my group there were quite a few people that I consider to be good teachers that participated as ordinary kenshi along with everybody else. Not very often that happens.

The only bad thing during these days, except that we had to wait 2 hours for the bus on the day of the Taikai, was that all kenshi didn't stay at the same hotel.
Because of that it was very difficult to get together after practice.

And to Karahashi-san:
You and the other interpreters (such as Omi-san) did a very good job. But now you always have to do this job. :)
Concerning the translation work that we discussed, just take it easy, it is OK if it is ready by the end of the year. :D

Julien
15th May 2001, 08:48
Gassho.

I really had a very good time during this Taikai.
I've never participated to any comparable event and I realize that it was a real chance for us (french people) that it happened in Paris.

I really appreciated that the embukai took place before the training course so that no possible (even if highly unlikely) "competitive spirit" could spoil the pleasure to train with people from (almost) all over the world.

The Taiko demonstration and the official WSKO team demonstration were really amazing. Every kenshi I know (including me) is much more motivated for training after seeing these wonderful demos :)

The teaching by the japanese sensei was great too. The group I was in (1st Kyu) had the chance to be taught by Sanada sensei and Fujimoto sensei among others.

The only bad thing during these days, except that we had to wait 2 hours for the bus on the day of the Taikai, was that all kenshi didn't stay at the same hotel.
Because of that it was very difficult to get together after practice.

Unfortunately Anders, it was impossible to book rooms in a single hotel for the 1300 kenshi attending the Taikai 2001. At least it shows that we, french people, still have to make progresses concerning organization ;)

Phong Nguyen-Le
20th May 2001, 05:09
Sounds good... also wondering, does anyone know when there will be any Paris Taikai videos available?

Cheers
Phong

hsuntzu
21st May 2001, 03:02
Pettersson-sensei, yah, end of the year. I will try to see what I can do.... Now end of which year? :D

Taikai video, I see that Hombu has put an order form on their webpage. But it doesn't say when it will be available. Hmm.

Gassho,

Risingutah
23rd May 2001, 23:57
Hey everybody, this is Ryuta Saka from Silicon Valley Branch. Paris Taikai was pretty cool. Although I didn't get to participate in the seminar, because I had to be the interpretor for brown belts, it was fun working with people from other countries.
Great job to Yoshi for his excelent transulation from Japanese to English.... and as well as Japanese to Japanese. It was very fascinating to see so many people working extremely hard to learn from the Sensei from Japan. I wish I had more time to talk to people.
As far as Taikai goes, Japanese kenshis were really good, I thought. Many people from other countries did an awsome job as well. Good job to Yoshi and Jun for his great embu!

Ryuta Saka
Silicon Valley