PDA

View Full Version : okay, here's a suggestion...

autrelle
3rd May 2001, 13:47
On one level, this was productive. Not only is my ukemi better, but I can teach other people as well (the key is to keep your head as close to your twisted arm as is possible). BUT, this is not necessarily combative effectiveness in any pure form. It is just a method of protecting yourself within the artificial set-up situations in classic aikido when someone takes advantage of the "rules" to cause harm.

the above is a quote from E. Amdur regarding "deaths from ushiro ukemi.

i have a simple request that i will preface by saying that i will hold no one liable for responding:

those of you who have been doing Aikido for decades, for years, and have devised these great approaches to ukemi, please share them. maybe you'll save a life or prevent further abuse.

how about an online ukemi primer, right here, glossing over or detailing the requisite ukemi and or kaeshi waza to safely receive nage or osae waza.

for example: let's hear it for ikkyo, nikkyo, and sankyo.

then go on to shihonage, kotegaeshi, iriminage.

then koshinage, maybe jujinage.

please hurry because at my dojo there's this guy, i swear he's crazy...oh wait. never mind, i'm talking about myself again!

cheers and truly

Chuck Clark
3rd May 2001, 16:13
Great idea!

The hard news is that the only way to really learn it is to find a teacher that knows it and give them your attention, energy, and time.

It is not possible to learn this sort of thing on the web.

Good luck in finding what you're looking for.

autrelle
3rd May 2001, 20:10
of course not. i'm just asking for people to submit any personal recommendations regarding ukemi.

truly

Dojorat
4th May 2001, 20:10
Greetins,

Several years ago I had the opportunity to visit Japan and train at the Aikikai Hombu Dojo. I was very cautious about getting injured and ruining what would possibly be a once in a lifetime training opportunity. To make a long story longer... on a number of occasions, I had a partner who applied Shihonage or Kote Gaeshi in a very quick and tight spiral that put an uncomfortable strain on my elbow and shoulder. The solution that worked for me was to place my nose in the palm of my hand. This closed my elbow in tight to my chest and kept my shoulder girdle tight. It also repeatedly put me into a nice big forward breakfall. I'm not sure if this description helps but I attribute this technique to keeping my shoulder intact on a couple of occasions working with some really exuberant partners.

Cheers,

autrelle
6th May 2001, 12:20
that is exactly the sort of response i was looking for. if anyone else has noteworthy input, please submit it.

truly

Joseph Svinth
7th May 2001, 10:27
Perhaps the easiest way to avoid the risks of ukemi is to not get thrown in the first place. So, when the opponent goes for the wrist lock, put your thumb on your little finger and step in so that your elbow is on your centerline rather than off to the side.

Now, this movement only works for a very short time, and as soon as the opponent realizes that he is stymied, then he will undoubtedly attempt to deliver a palm-heel strike (shotei) to your bent wrist. This hurts, so don't allow it.

Instead, as soon as you sense the opponent starting his palm-heel strike, instantly step to the outside, heel down, toes up. (InYo stepping, but it's easier to think of R. Crumb's "Keep on Truckin'" Man.) Then, without pause or delay (you are in a hurry here), rotate on the heel of your R. Crumb foot so that you end up facing your opponent in cat stance (neko-ashi dachi). Finish by doing an open-handed middle block (kake uke).

Basically, what you have there is the bunkai for the opening movements of a number of elementary karate kata...