PDA

View Full Version : Kiai

woolston
3rd May 2001, 21:44
E-Budo Members,

I am interested in what people think about the kiai in Okinawan karate, with regard to the following observations:

1) I have some video footage of Soke Takayoshi Nagamine performing kata and he appears to kiai before the technique, rather than at the moment of kime. What would the theory behind this be? Would it be to startle the opponent before execution of technique?

2) In a couple of publications, writers have theorised that the kiai may actual be a fairly modern conception, or devised for the purpose of exhibitions (Bugeisha magazine, Issue 4, p.38 & Okinawan Karate, by Mark Bishop, p.112). One of these writers mentions that, since karate was once practised in secret, the kiai would have drawn too much attention to the practitioner.

I look forward to reading any comments that anyone may have on this subject.

Respectfully,

Steve Woolston
Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu Karate
ENGLAND

gmanry
4th May 2001, 03:37
The practice of fixed kiai in kata is a very recent addition to the practice of karate.

I have been told that this was in line with the military attitudes and forging of "fighting spirit" so desired in the youth of Japan prior to WWII.

In my own experiences, kiai is a spontaneous occurrence most of the time, although it can be used as a technique at will by people who have really studied it.
More than startling an opponent, kiai can be used to completely overwhelm them to a point that almost resembles a seisure or panic attack. It reall has to be seen, and of course is not something one can do as a party trick.

Kiai can also be silent and does not require vocal expression. The sound aids in the development of the mastery of timing, distance, and intensity that is at the heart of kiai.

My thoughts on Takayoshi Nagamine's demonstration are that he felt it necessary to kiai at that point, because he captured some essence of application at that moment. If you saw it again, he might not have made kiai at all or might have done it with another timing. Kiai can be used to disrupt an opponents rhythm, breathing, etc. and this may be more important that delivering a crushing kiai infused strike.

If most people assume that a person is executing maximum kime at kiai, then that would be a good time to attack them (assuming you have controlled their offensive). A kiai at an "off" time might draw an opponent so conditioned off balance and open them for the follow-up strike.

Many Japanese martial arts utilize kiai-jutsu, and it may not have been a major part of all of karate, I really don't know that answer. However, it is a useful thing to understand and lends a powerful psychological and spiritual weapon.

In my classes, my students do not kiai in drills or kata, but it is something I cover after about a year of training, and it is taught as a technique in and of itself.
Just my thoughts and experiences on this technique.

PS.

Funakoshi tells a story about Matsumura sensei in "Karate do: My Way of Life." In this story Matsumura uses a kiai to drain the spirit out of a local shopkeeper who has challenged him to a karate match for foolish reasons (on both sides). Matsumura did so because he realized he was being stupid, as was his opponent, and used this technique to stop the fight. So, kiai was known in at least some karate circles. Also, the battle cry is as old as battle itself, so it is likely that the use of the voice as a weapon was studied by some Okinawan practitioners.