PDA

View Full Version : meaning of the term "momodachi"

Chris
28th June 2000, 08:45
Hi everyone!

I had originally posted this thread under the Koryu: History and Tradition forum, maybe it should really be here..

Can anyone please help clarify;

How does the term "Momodachi", used to as I understand it to describe the tucking up of the Hakama during combat, translate from Japanese?

I have looked in the dictionary and Momo translates as 'thigh' and dachi as 'stance', but does the term have different meaning or significance?

I have noticed that practitioners of the Kashima School of Swordsmanship (and also students of Aikido who incorporate this discipline into their practice) adopt this method, sometimes also when practising Tai-Jutsu.

Can anyone provide more information on the origins of this practice and the etiquette/correctness of its application?

Many thanks.

Chris Tozer

[Edited by Chris on 06-28-2000 at 09:52 AM]

Richard Elias
30th June 2000, 04:19
I'll take a stab at this,

I believe your are correct in your translation of the term. In our school we call it "ryo-momo-dachi", two thigh stance. I don't know the exact origin. As I understand it though, it's done to get the hakama out of the way. Especially if your going to do something involving crouching or kneeling. I don't believe it is exclusive to martial arts. Hakama were common clothing at one time and I believe it could be done whenever you were going to be active. It was often done when traveling or doing chores.

As far as application goes, in our school we are taught to take the forward part of the side vent and bring it up through the lowest strap of the hakama until the low point of the vent meets the strap, then fold that portion down. When traveling the hem of the hakama was sometimes brought up, the legs turned partially inside-out, and tucked up through the strap.

I hope this helps.