PDA

View Full Version : What Akido-style is that ....

hg
6th May 2001, 02:14
I am training Iai, and in the Saturday session, when we are on the wood floor, there is a group on the tatami-space which I thinks trains Aikido. I think it must be Aikido, because the techniques are quite "rotational" and they use a lot of techniques involving the wrist. But they are, for my taste a bit esoteric. Practicing to contort your face under pain (even though nobody touches you), dropping down like on command when the sensei moves his hans two meters away and such things do not seem to be "usual" Aikido practice. I talked with someone who practices Aikido, and the only information a could get was a grin and: "Ah, there are some dojous out there who practice to let the ki flow a lot ....."

I am shure it is not Daitoryu, that is much more "hands on".

Hans-Georg Matuttis

Yamantaka
6th May 2001, 11:39
Originally posted by hg
...there is a group on the tatami-space which I thinks trains Aikido. I think it must be Aikido, because the techniques are quite "rotational" and they use a lot of techniques involving the wrist.
I am shure it is not Daitoryu, that is much more "hands on".
Hans-Georg Matuttis

YAMANTAKA : Well...Why don't you go and simply ask them? :idea:
Best

hg
7th May 2001, 01:35
Originally posted by Yamantaka

YAMANTAKA : Well...Why don't you go and simply ask them? :idea:
Best

If I thought I would get a reasonable answer I would ask at once, but, as I said, they are a bit esoteric, have no women in their dojou (which I consider to be no good sign in Japan), the seinseis look a bit haughty, to say the least, and the self-appreciation of a dojou is not allways reliable.

George Ledyard
7th May 2001, 03:50
Ah yes! I recognize it. It's the "Emperor's New Clothes" School of Aikido. It's a chain and they have schools all over.

Greg Jennings
7th May 2001, 04:32
Originally posted by hg

If I thought I would get a reasonable answer I would ask at once, but, as I said, they are a bit esoteric, have no women in their dojou (which I consider to be no good sign in Japan), the seinseis look a bit haughty, to say the least, and the self-appreciation of a dojou is not allways reliable.

Your glass is full to spilling over.

Sincerely,

hg
7th May 2001, 07:41
Originally posted by George Ledyard
Ah yes! I recognize it. It's the "Emperor's New Clothes" School of Aikido. It's a chain and they have schools all over.
Aha. Tennoshinfukukan-Akido :). Thank you
Hans-Georg

MarkF
7th May 2001, 11:03
Originally posted by hg

Ah hah, you have seen the movie Sanshiro Sugata [The Judo Saga]!

One of the more priceless lines in the movie goes like this: !Don't be haughty! !Don't be haughty!

That is just the best subtitle from here to Japan and back. The odd thing is that it is repeated in the remake of 1965 (the original being made in 1943 and is so censored as to be a good reason to have waited until 1965 in the first place).

Mark "Don't be haughty" Feigenbaum