PDA

View Full Version : Gracie Jiu-jitsu, Japanese terms

HitokiriBattousai
6th May 2001, 05:32
Hi!

I'm not sure if this issue has been brought up before, but I was wondering about historical/traditional roots of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and if they use Japanese terms. I'm guessing not since none really show up on their sites. I'm curious because I'm a fan of using proper terms, whether it's with the Bujinkan, kenjutsu, or rapier fencing. Since they probably don't, is there a site with general terms, etc.? Thanks.

John Bennett
8th May 2001, 20:55
Hi Peter!

BJJ/GJJ schools really don't have a set of formalized terms for their techniques. The names of techniques were never codified into a cannon that was required to be followed. Thus, different schools may favor different terms for the same technique.

Example:

An internal shoulder hyper-rotation may be call an Ude Garami at one school, a "Kimura" at another school, (after the great Japanese champion who favored it), or the "hammer-lock" at yet another.

However, a large number of BJJ black belts also hold dan grades in Judo so they use a lot terms from that art. Example: a "kesa gatame" is pretty much the only name anyone uses for that position.

Other positions and techniques go by a portuguese nickname because the Japanese name is uncommon or very long.

An example of this the "omo plata".

The best english translation would be:
"internal shoulder hyper-rotation using one's thigh while opponent is prone."

The Japanese equivalent would be about as long so everyone just says "omo plata".

Also the BJJ terms get a lot more specific. While Judo has just "do jime" (the guard), BJJ has: the open guard, closed guard, high guard, spider guard, sleeve guard, sitting guard, knees to belly guard, semi-triangle guard, and heavy legs guard.

This helps make BJJ very democratic and encourages innovation. The downside is that it can be confusing for begining students.