PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article

marut
28th June 2000, 16:47
Howdy,

I have just linked an interesting article on http://riposte.org concerning karate that also mentions Hatsumi Sensei and the Bujinkan. Its more a discussion of when budo became combat sports. The article was originally written by Bernard Bordas and it's been translated by Michel Grandmont for Ironman Magazine. If you drop by riposte checkout "Ironman Mag: Karate - Japanese Martial Art...Info or Lie?"

Gil Gillespie
29th June 2000, 03:00
marut

great quote. reinforces "the only stupid question is that which remains unasked."

Davinci
29th June 2000, 18:43
So what does this guy train in now? He mentioned 12 years of Karate, but I'm not sure if he implied training with Hatsumi Sensei, or just mentioned him. And what's with the photo of him standing next to the Lost Samurai and the Ashida Kim Student? He mentioned many things, and I know that the reason for the article was to find a "true warrior art from the battle field". However, it didn't seem that he made any conclusions on his research. He lost me by the end of the article. Did anyone else feel this way?

Carl Long
29th June 2000, 20:03
Originally posted by Gil Gillespie
marut

great quote. reinforces "the only stupid question is that which remains unasked."

Hi Gil,

Along those same lines the Japanese have another proverb. It goes like this...

"To wa ichiji no haji, towanu wa matsudai no haji" or roughly translated means... "To ask may be a moment of shame, But not to ask and remain ignorant is a lifelong shame."

And now you know why I feel its so important for students to ask questions. I miss the old bear... ;)

Carl

Gil Gillespie
30th June 2000, 03:50
Carl

The oldbear waits patiently beside the Path for you and your basket. The sound you hear is not a waterfall but the torrent of his questions.

Sorry all. Serious thread drift.

Good night, Carl