PDA

View Full Version : MA Insurance?

John Anderson
9th May 2001, 22:18
Does anyone out there (particularly in the UK) have any experience with making a claim on their instructors (or students) insurance? If you have have, how did you get on?
The reason I ask is because I'm looking for new insurance for our Dojo, but just don't trust what's available - companies I've had insurance from in the past haven't even provided policy documents so although they say their cover you for large amounts, they don't tell you exactly what you're covered for and I get the feeling that if the day did come where I had to make a claim, they'd produce some clause or other which would leave me in the brown stuff. Therefore, I'd appreciate it if you could share your experiences good or bad.

Thanks

George Ledyard
10th May 2001, 12:18
I have dealt with Rhulen, the Martial arts Insurance Group and others over the years. I have only made one claim in twelve years. One of my instructors was about to take a bad fall from koshinage and panicked. She put her arm down and fell on it which broke it. It turned out she was between jobs at that point and didn't have any insurance herself so I contacted my company (I don't remember which one it was at the time). They ended up paying her $1200 as reimbursement for her expenses. I never heard a word from them and it was completely routine. Since it is the only claim ever filed by my school it did not cause my rates to rise nor did it cause problems with other companies when I appled with them.

I don't know what the situation is in the UK but here there are companies that specialize in covering martial arts schools (actually the coverage is provided by other companies but they sell the policies and service them). You should definitely get paperwork that spells out what coverage you are entitled to. Here its the law I believe.

MarkF
11th May 2001, 09:14
Since your profile doesn't say which MA you do or teach, any number of insurance companies specialize, as George said.

In judo, most legitimate judo organizations come with insurance, most with a co-pay of, say, US 15.00 per incident. If it is judo, the BJA should be able to help.

The claim should be no problem at all. The incident to the numbers of policies, or bonding, is usually a very inexpensive promise to keep for the legitimate Company. As George said, I don't know what is "the usual" there, but certainly a look at the policy shouldn't be a problem.

One warning, though. If you find one which fits properly in cost and coverage, investigate a little, and find out such things as reaction to claims, speed of reimbursement, terms of such, etc.

Just as one would search out the correct dojo, so should one do the same for an insurance company, so start with those who specialize in sports/martial art insurance and go from there.

Mark

DPawson
11th May 2001, 09:30
John

Since I have been teaching I've tended to use Martins in the UK.

Policy comes out when required and normally the renewal is on time as well !!!

Although the proof will be in the pudding so to speak in regards any claims, (touches wood) going on seven years and not had a claim yet.

email if you want any further details

John Anderson
3rd June 2001, 16:23
Thanks for your replies folks!

Dave, thanks for the info, I'm aware of "Martin's" and will probably have a look at them. As you say though, the proof of whether they are any good or not will be in the eating - I was hoping that maybe someone from the UK had tried making a claim with some of the insurance companies so that they could tell me what the policies "tasted" like.

Thanks again!