PDA

View Full Version : Knee and Back problems - Will weights help?

Steve C
10th May 2001, 15:27
Hi, all. Wondering if anyone out there can help me.

I'm somewhat overweight, and get pains in my knees and lower back when I get to the end of a session in the gym or dojo. I'm trying to find the right approach to sorting this out before it becomes a recurring, permanent problem.

So - first thing, I know, is to lose weight. Gonna try to do that. But after that, would anyone recommend weight training to strengthen my back and knees, or is that counterproductive? Also, if it is a good plan, how on _earth_ do you weight train your lower back?

If this is the wrong approach, what _should_ I do?

Thanks,

Steve

gmanry
10th May 2001, 18:14
First if you are having recurring pain from particular activities, catalog the sensations you are feeling. Are they in the joint, around the joint, burning, aching, etc.

Next, go see what a doctor (perhaps one who deals with athletes or physical therapy) has to say. You could be developing problems larger than you thought, but it could just be weakness.

If you find that the doctor recommends some strengthening then you want to start easy.

A good, safe exercise for strengthening the support structure around the knee is to do a 6" leg extension. On the leg extension machine (quad machine) raise the roller with a light amount of weight to full, level extension. Let it down about 6" or no more than 1/3 of the way down. Then extend it back to full extension. Do sets of 20-30 slowly, again with light weight. this prevents the hip and main body of the quad from being fully engaged and allowing you to use momentum to do the lift, placing the extension on the lower quad and supporting knee structure.

For the back, start with a good book on simple stretches and then build up to using the back machines or doing simple back extensions in the gym with light weight. You can also just lie on your stomach and work on lifting your upper torso off of the ground, hold it, let it down. Then also work lifting your legs up in the same position,and then both when you improve from the previous two exercises.

Before anything, go to the doctor or a therapist and see what they say. This advice is only in relation to a thorough checkup and an o.k. from a medical professional to engage in these types of exercises. Also you might ask your doctor about an MSM/glucosamine or glucosamine supplement for your knee pain. I have found these supplements to be very helpful with my kee problems.

Ermac6
13th May 2001, 03:35
I have back problems from a football injury, the first time it happened i went to the doctors, for 6 months i was ok, then it happened again, so my karate teacher helped me as well as a chiropractor and i seemed to get better. I found out doing a few tai chi stretches and doing my karate katas and stuff helped me, maybe search the net for the stretches done in tai chi, i am not sure of the names, but they did wonders.

Brent

Emily
15th May 2001, 18:53
Originally posted by Steve C
Hi, all. Wondering if anyone out there can help me.

So - first thing, I know, is to lose weight. Gonna try to do that. But after that, would anyone recommend weight training to strengthen my back and knees, or is that counterproductive? Also, if it is a good plan, how on _earth_ do you weight train your lower back?

If this is the wrong approach, what _should_ I do?

Thanks,

Steve

Congrats on deciding to live better!
I am a massage therapist and martial artist. I have supplemented my training for years with weights and diet to keep my poor body from disintegrating. I've had back and knee probs, though not debilitating FTMP.

Weight train your back by training your abs and obliques. Go to your local YMCA and get some tips, that's your safest bet.
A MAJOR cause of back pain is tight hamstrings and rump muscles. Get those stretched out. You should be able to put your palms on the floor with your knees loosely straight.
Check out Brad Appleton's Stretching FAQ, it's quite good.
http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/
This can help some with your knees, as can strengthening your quadriceps muscle in a balanced manner.
Go easy at first, be persistent, be patient.

HTH,

Steve C
17th May 2001, 13:17
Originally posted by Emily
Weight train your back by training your abs and obliques. [...]

Check out Brad Appleton's Stretching FAQ, it's quite good.

Thanks very much - I've started doing ab training every morning, and I'm reading through the stretching FAQ - what I've read so far is very detailed, which suits me fine.

So, thanks for answering, Emily, and everyone else who's replied. I think it'll help me a lot.

Yours,

Steve

bungadude
20th May 2001, 16:31
Hi Steve, before emarking upon your weight training, have your physician send you to be evaluated by a physiotherapist. There are many excellent physiotherapists in the UK. Make sure you find one that has had manual therapy training.

The physiotherapist can determine where your imbalances lie, so that together you come up with a balanced program, less likely to get you in trouble.

In general, strengthening will almost always help knees and backs, if done appropriately and properly.

Good luck.