PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Makiyama And Keijutsukai Aikido

Yamantaka
12th May 2001, 15:02
Hello, fellow E-Budoka,

Does anyone have any information concerning THOMAS H.MAKIYAMA and his Keijutsukai Aikido?
He was an hawaiian, who went to Japan, founded his own independent style of Aikido and wrote one of the first book to be published outside of Japan on Aikido. I guess he was a student of Shioda Gozo.
The only information I found out was the one on the Encyclopedia of Aikido. Anything else?
Best
Yamantaka

TIM BURTON
13th May 2001, 09:33
Hi Ubaldo,
I have not met the man himself but here’s what I could find on him, I hope it helps a little.
Thomas MAKIYAMA born Hawaii in 1928, served US eighth army in Japan and Korea. Ran his own travel agency in Hawaii for twenty years. In the 1950’s opened one of the first Yoshinkan Aikido branches outside Japan and also authored a book on Aikido in English. Keijutsukai Aikido was formed by Makiyama in 1979 and in 1980 he established the Keijutsukai (Police/law technique Association) in Tokyo where he now resides.

Keijutsukai (Japan HQ)
Shimbashi Shinwa Bldg. 4F
5-15 4-chome, Shimbashi,
Minato-Ku,
Tokyo 105,
Japan.

Keijutsukai Aikido (USA)
1217 Torrance Blvd
Torrance,
California90502
(2130 323-4164.

Reference
Keijutsukai Aikido Japanese art of self defence. T H Makiyama. Ohara Publications, ISBN 0-89750-092-X

MarkF
13th May 2001, 09:36
There is a video as well as the book. Interestingly, the pubishers and dates of publication are off the chart, it seems, the latest 1997.

Wasn't there another post in another forum concerning this person?

Mark