PDA

View Full Version : Jodo Kyohan request

Peter Adams
29th June 2000, 09:04
Does anyone know where I could get a copy of this book from ?

Mugendobudo.com had it, but its sold out. I now here its out of print.

cheers

Diane Skoss
29th June 2000, 12:29
Hi Peter,

You might submit a search request to Japan Books: http://japanbooks.net/home.html . Ron Beaubien, the proprietor, lives in Japan and regularly combs the used bookstores for good budo books. The Kyohan doesn't turn up all that often, and when it does it is usually pretty expensive.

(P.S. I get no kickback for referring folks to Ron :)!)

Hope this helps!

Tim Atkinson
14th July 2000, 07:04
I have been unable to find in Australia a copy of Pascal's book "Jo: Way of the Stick" or Quintin Chambers book "Shinto Muso-Ryu Jo".

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Chuck Clark
14th July 2000, 08:27
I think you can still order Krieger's book here:

Mikado
PO Box 15577
1001 NB Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel +31-(0)20-6735423
Fax +31 (0)20-6716877
E-mail: mikado@xs4all.nl
URL: http://www.xs4all.nl/~mikado

Jodo: The Way of the Stick
By Pascal Krieger

Good Luck.

Tim Atkinson
14th July 2000, 23:44
Thanks Chuck I will check it out.

Chuck Clark
14th July 2000, 23:57
I have received a post from M. Guy LeSieur with the following URL for obtaining Pascal Krieger's book.

He says to give this a try.

alapage.com (http://search.alapage.com/cgi-bin/1/affiche_livre.cgi?id=23887953576865&tn=1&qid=96359322018542&start=%26start%3B&tn=1&l_isbn=2950321402&devise=Dollar_Us)

I have no experience with these folks, but here it is.

Jerry O'Brien
20th July 2000, 12:18
Hello Mr. Adams:

The Jodo Kyohan by Kaminoda Tsunemori et al. is available and may be obtained directly through Mr. Rick Polland rembukan@annap.infi.net), who is the Rembukan Kancho of the Beikoku Rembukan - the sanctioned Shindo Muso Ryu dojo within North America for Kaminoda Sensei. We are now taking advance orders for this book in lieu of Kaminoda Sensei's visit in October.

Proceeds from the sale of these books will be used to help support the costs of our upcoming visit and Gasshuku with Kaminoda Sensei.

Should anyone decide to attend this event I am sure that Kaminoda Sensei would be happy to autograph and personalize copies for attendees. Kaminoda Sensei is also a calligraher of note.

The price for these books is $168 plus S&H of $18. The book is quite large and heavy and the costs quoted are only for postage within the U.S. Checkout our website (Jodo.com) for more info.

Regards,
Jerry O'Brien
Beikoku Rembukan

Yamantaka
26th July 2000, 18:05
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Adams
[B]Does anyone know where I could get a copy of this book from ?

Hello, Peter!

You might also try this :
"The Book
The Jodo Kyohan by Kaminoda Tsunemori et al. is available and may be obtained
directly through Mr. Rick Polland (rembukan@annap.infi.net), who is the Rembukan Kancho of the Beikoku Rembukan - the sanctioned Shindo Muso Ryu dojo within North America for Kaminoda Sensei and the Nihon Jodokai. We are now taking advance orders for this book in lieu of Kaminoda Sensei's visit in October. Proceeds from the sale of these books will be used to help support the costs of our upcoming visit and Gasshuku with Kaminoda Sensei."
I warn you that the book is awfully high-priced but worth every penny (I have one, I know...).Also, I heard that Kaminoda Sensei has decided that the book won't be reissued and perhaps this will be one of your last chances. Go at it, Lad!

Yamantaka

Neil Hawkins
30th July 2000, 23:20
Does the book have an english translation? I'm interested in getting a copy but don't read japanese, so I wonder how much use it's going to be to me.

Thanks
Neil

Tony Peters
31st July 2000, 03:39
Originally posted by Neil Hawkins
Does the book have an english translation? I'm interested in getting a copy but don't read japanese, so I wonder how much use it's going to be to me.

Thanks
Neil

It would suprise me greatly if it did have a tranlation. though there is some great emulation/translation software that will work with a flatbed scanner's OCR programing. That said I have a copy of Shokai Iai: Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu by Mitani and Mitani and though it is entirely in japanese (and I don't read a kanji of it) I find it invaluable. Not for what it says but for what it reminds me of. No I don't study it as a matter of fact I haven't looked at it any further than the Kata's that I have been taught. That said it does remind me of the big things so I can work on the small things.

Ob Jodo: the small things, Sensei Chambers was still off (or in transit) at the IJF Gashuku so all of us junior folks practiced Kihon today. I discovered for myself that I am still not setting my Honte uchi in the right location. I'm leaving it too centered...something to work on.

Neil Hawkins
31st July 2000, 05:31
Thanks Tony,

My Sensei was there too. I've almost given up on getting anything right, all my techniques need so much work! Taht's why I enjoy it so much, always learning.

I'm interested in the book but at close to $300 Australian plus P&H it's a hell of a lot to pay for a book, without seeing it first. I'll have to think about it.

Regards
Neil