PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help ID'ing and restoring this sword...

BB
15th May 2001, 17:28
Hi-

I'm trying to figure out what I've got here, and what I can do to clean up and straighten the blade. I'm also looking for someone who can remount it.

I've published a website to view it:
http://63.71.60.68/sword/

Thank you-
Brian Busch

socho
16th May 2001, 01:50
Hi Brian,
looks like a fairly standard WW2 officer's sword. Someone took the leather combat cover off the saya, but the tsuka and tsuba are normal issue. Someone else will have to read the mei, and you should show the other side so we can see the date, but it has an arsenal acceptance stamp above the signature, which means it is is probably not a true gendaito, but a 'mill steel' blade with minimal handwork. Has a nice shape, should clean up ok, look but I would not spend a lot of money on a good polish. Just my opinion, have bought many of these and am slowly learning. (I hope). You might check Rich Stein's site http://japanesesword.homestead.com/files/nihonto.htm for good info on WW2 swords. Lots of folks that remount these things, shop around and get some prices and customer references.
Good luck

Meik Skoss
16th May 2001, 03:35
It reads Ishihara (Something-)nao saku, indicating that it is a properly forged blade. Without handling the blade oneself, who's to say whether it's good, bad, indifferent in quality? Good luck in the restoration and remounting!

BB
16th May 2001, 04:49
There are no markings on the other side of the tang.

Thanks again
Brian

Devon Smith
16th May 2001, 05:02
To me it doesn't seem to be a standard WW2 officer's blade, unless the pics are fooling me. The presence of the heat-treat line (hamon) is not seen on the mass produced WWII blades, and there's a hint of a hamon in these pics.

Probably not too old though, as the tang (nakago) doesn't show heavy or black rust.

From my experience, the easiest way to ID the typical WWII blade is to look for two things...(1) no hamon, (2) blade is unsharpened for the first 4-6 cm from the hilt (tsuka).

Of course there will always be exceptions, but best to leave it to the experts!

Give the poor thing a good dose of oil while you wait for the replies!

John Lindsey
16th May 2001, 05:35
Devon,

Hamon are found in the factory milled blades, but not the NCO swords. I have owned at least 5 of these in this catagory :). They are normally oil quenched and some can have nice hamon, but the experts know how to tell the oil quench vs water quench.

Then again, lets wait for the experts to show up. Where is Dan when you need him? :). BTW, I think a good knickname for him is "Steely Dan." (If you are not too young, this might ring a bell)....

BB
16th May 2001, 12:46
The blade is sharp all the way to the habaki. When I took the tsuka off a few peices of cut paper fell out from under the wrap, they are aged and yellow with Japanese characters all over them.

Any ideas how I can clean up and straighten the blade?

Thanks-
Brian

poryu
16th May 2001, 17:01
Hi
Looking at the Tsuba it looks to be one of the better quality ones with more defined details to the Sakura. I have handled a lot of WW2 swords, and l own one that once belonged to Major General. The higher ranks seem to have had a better quality set of fittings ont here swords. The ones that I have handled blonging to very junior officers are so low quality that they sell fo only a few pounds / dollars.

Just from the fittings I would say it once belonged to a middle to senior rank. but that does not mean the blade is old or of high value.

To restore the blade you will need a good polisher. The best polishers will recommend what is required. I once had a poisher tell me to polish a blade i had would ruin it and he refused to polish it. These are the best ones to deal with. The Rick website or Bugei web site can put you in touch with such people in the states. I know an excellent polisher in the UK. Bugei can sell you binding etc

Devon Smith
16th May 2001, 17:16
Thanks for the clarification John, I'll keep that info in mind for the future.

Devon

bob elder
17th May 2001, 15:19
It looks like the first part of his name is "Kane" I have sword restoration services here in Orlando, Fl. Bob Elder