PDA

View Full Version : Looking for gi, overwhelmed...

BB
18th May 2001, 17:07
I am looking for a gi to practice Shinkendo, and I came accross websites offering Kekogi, Kendogi, Aikidogi, Montsuki, Hakama, Judo-gi, and Karate-gi for sale. Could you gentlemen explain the differences to me?

Thank you,
Brian Busch

Enfield
19th May 2001, 03:44
Okay, it's pretty simple actually.

Keikogi - practice clothes. This could be the uniform of most any martial art.

Kendogi - kendo uniform. The jacket is usually heavy like a judo gi to provide some padding against errant blows, but is cut differently. It has 3/4 length sleeves and one slit in the back. The other part of a kendogi is hakama.

Aikidogi - aikido uniform. In my aikido experience, most everyone used judo or karate uniforms, but apparantly there are aikido specific ones now, with 3/4 length sleeves (because of all the wrist grabbing). Pants are probably the same a judo or karategi. I don't know whether this would include hakama or not.

Montsuki - masculine formal upperwear. That jacket with the wide sleeves and crests (mon) they all wear in samurai films.

Hakama - those big, poofy samurai pants.

Judogi - judo uniform. The jacket is usually fairly heavy, to stand up to being grabbed.

Karategi - karate uniform. Usually fairly light weight, from what I've seen.

That being said, why don't you ask your sensei what to get?

BB
19th May 2001, 13:13
Sensei says go with Judo gi. I was just wondering what all the others were! Thanks.

The pictures of the Kekogi were unlike any other gi I have seen, with patterns instead of the solid colors of what I'd consider a "standard" type of unifom. Would this be for more traditional or formal wear?

http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/6010-sm.JPEG

Any books around that go into all the particulars of traditional Japanese samurai customs/clothing and equipment?

Thanks-
Brian

Enfield
19th May 2001, 21:09
That's just a flavor of kendogi. I've only ever seen little kids wear that type though, as it don't have the thick weave that other kendogi have and so provides less padding.