PDA

View Full Version : Aikido vs. other disciplines (physical aspects)

Emil
18th May 2001, 18:48
Hello. I posted on the general Budo area and it was recommended that I come here for some information. I'll skip the whole story, which is posted in that area. But in a nutshell, here's my dilemma. I've been a police officer for several years in a large dept. I reassigned to investigations a while back and about a year ago I chose to return to street work. It's a bit like being reborn, exciting again, dangerous again. Conflict and combat has a way of making you breath better and feel better.... I've always believed that survival is a triangle of training areas: firearms skill, driving skill, and empty hand defensive tactics skill. I've trained extensively in firearms, all types of training and I'm comfortable that my skills are above average at least. I'm also comfortable with my driving abilities. But I'm am convinced that my hand to hand skills are 'in great need' to say the least. Several contacts have resulted in high levels of force being used-which leads to complaints, lawsuits, and injury. None of which I fear, but I'd rather avoid them if possible. It is clear that if my empty hand control skills were sharper at least some of these uses of force could have been avoided....
I've decided to implement some MA training into my life. I'm prepared to make that commitment. It seems that Aikido is the logical course of action since the approved tactics are basically Aikido- its joint manipulation and balance displacement. Ok, I rambled...my question at last: What are the physical requirments of the different types of martial arts forms? I'm afflicted with poor lower flexibility and constant knee pain. Its bearable, and will not prevent me from training, but I seem to have less interest in high kicks and other types of leg strikes. Are there any forms of MA that emphasize on use of legs, hands, ect... I recieved a lot of great info on the general board but it was suggested that here I might encounter someone who had the same questions at some point. My body has limitations, and I want to work with it, and not against it. It seems that Aikido would be a good choice, but what other forms should I research? Are there forms in which great leg flexibility is a must? Should I investigate the forms of Karate as well before deciding? What do you think?
Unlike the 4 pocket knives I bought before finding the one I like, I want to make a solid, educated selection of MA studies. I intend on 'throwing' myself into it and I want it to be a sound choice. I realize the instructor may be more important than the type of MA, but this is all part of my selection process. I get better info on this website than in hours of reading a MA books. Thank you to everyone in advance who choose to give their view. I am an enthusiastic student-to-be, and ANY information, motivation, and other thoughts are requested. Thanks folks.

Emil
19th May 2001, 00:04
Thanks for the welcome.
I am 33 yrs old and in 'good' condition. I say good because while I'm not in excellent physical condition, things are not too bad. I'm 5-11 and about 195. I estimate for my build it wouldnt kill me to drop about 10 pounds, maybe more. I've developed a bit of a spare tire, but nothing a few months of good exercise won't remedy. I have recently began running 4 or 5 times a week and have noted that it is already making me feel a little sharper. I'm beginning to crave it, which is great. I have consulted some co-workers about MA training. Many have trained in the past however have stopped for various reasons. Lack of time is the overwhelming problem with most. It doesnt seem that many have started and stayed with it. One co-worker told me that he began for his own 'vanity' but realized he could'nt commit after his intrigue wore off. I actually thought that more folks in this field would have some experience, but I've found that the majority have not (that I have contacted anyway). I understand that it is good to be exposed to various aspects of different types of MA studies, but one 'core study' is a must. As I understand it (from personal research only) Taekwondo requires high, forcefull kicking techniques, while Aikido has little or no strikes. I think I would like my MA foundation to be somewhere in the middle. I was quite pleased to hear that others have suffered from stiff, aching knees and have benefited from training. As I continue to research and explore my options I am curious why people selected a certain discipline. It seems that body build, motivation for study, threats confronted with, ect. are the things to evaluate. I don't want to get off topic here, but if anyone selected a specific MA to study due to physical capabilities and flexibility limitations I would find it interesting. Thanks again.

bungadude
20th May 2001, 15:58
Hello Emil.
I concur with Mr. Bergstrom. I have run into a number of law enforcement folks while training in the Bujinkan. An off-shoot of the Bujinkan is the Genbukan. The Genbukan's soke, I believe, was in law enforcement. Any of the X-kans as they're coming to be called, might be what you're looking for. They are all descended from Takamatsu soke, and blend grappling, throws, strikes.

I'm 50 years old now, and only started training when I was 42. I've had numerous previous fractures, have had back surgery, old joint injuries, and the ukemi that is taught has been very worthwhile to me. My bad hip has appreciated the lack of emphasis on high kicks.

Your web search engine ought to be able to locate some sites for the X-kans that Mr. Bergstrom mentioned, to find a dojo close to you. Best of luck to you.

koshoT
24th May 2001, 02:31
I'm very glad to hear that you are interested in learing how to deal with an oppenent without having to injury them. I think that this is the main reason that a lot of people begin their Martial Arts training. I began studying Kosho Ryu Kempo about a year ago, and I love it. Kosho is a lot like Aikido in the way that it emphasis not hurting an oppenent. I love Aikido as well and if you are interested in studying Aikido I would highly recommed it. I have also studied Tae Kwon Do and although I love and respect the art very much I think it is more of a young mans art. After I few weeks of Tae Kwon Do, although I was in considerably better shape than I had been in I was also hurting in several places, my knees was one of them. If you are interested in learning about the philosophies of Aikido and Kosho I can email you some websites to go to... or maybe I'll log back on tomorrow and post them on here for you.

Thank you,
Tom Berkery