PDA

View Full Version : Check out the incredible masters on this page!!

Neil Yamamoto
29th June 2000, 22:51
This a council of aiki related arts. Check out the glorious masters of Atemi Ryu listed.I may be very wrong, there may be some very credible sensei on this page but...

http://www.iaacab.com/page0008.html

Anyone here been approached for membership? ;)

Mollberg
29th June 2000, 23:50
hmmmmmm......don't know what to make of it....

29th June 2000, 23:59
They are all "board certified" so they must be good!

:)

Mokushin
30th June 2000, 00:35
Kinda helps to get "board certified" when you, if fact, ARE the board. Just another grand example of "hey, let's get together and promote each other to grandmaster soke poky"... or, er.... Maybe just another fine example of American budo gone terribly astray.

Kevin Myers
30th June 2000, 00:47
I don't know how creditable some of these Aiki gentlemen are. However, on the Hapkido side I do know that John Pellegrini is VERY creditable and is a legitimate 8th Dan through the Korea Kidohae/World Kido Federation and has the documentation to back it up.

RDFittro
30th June 2000, 03:35
Originally posted by Kevin Myers
I don't know how creditable some of these Aiki gentlemen are. However, on the Hapkido side I do know that John Pellegrini is VERY creditable and is a legitimate 8th Dan through the Korea Kidohae/World Kido Federation and has the documentation to back it up.

Mr. Myers,
My understanding is that Mr. Pelligrini, his rank, and his Combat Hapkido organization is not without it's, shall we say, detractors within the Hapkido community. Some question his time studying in relation to his rank and the fact that his ranking comes from a KUK SOOL WON master. I guess it doesn't matter considering the sorry state of affairs of the Hapkido, and Korean martial arts, community. IMO, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised to find him a member of the aforementioned organization.

Just my opinion, of course, I could be wrong.

George Ledyard
30th June 2000, 04:00
I recognized several of the names in the jujutsu and aikijutsu category as people who have good reputations as instructors (as distinct from ranks and titles that we could get into debate about). But I do not recognize the names of the illustrious Aikido practtitioners at all. Would like to know whereh they cam from. Noticed that several are associated with the AAA organization which does not make clearer where they originally got their training.

Richard A Tolson
30th June 2000, 04:40
I think the last time I was "board certified" it happened in the woodshed over my father's knee.
Richard

Mark Jakabcsin
30th June 2000, 11:31
"Maybe just another fine example of American budo gone terribly astray. "

Ian, take a look at the Aikido Journal boards and Stan Pranin's posts about Daito-ryu organizations. I think you will notice this sort of activity is not limited to America. People are people no matter where they live and budo is an ideal seldom attained, even by Japanese.

mark

Mokushin
30th June 2000, 12:48
Mark,

<<<Ian, take a look at the Aikido Journal boards and Stan Pranin's posts about Daito-ryu organizations. I think you will notice this sort of activity is not limited to America. People are people no matter where they live and budo is an ideal seldom attained, even by Japanese.>>

Oh, you bet! Japanese martial arts is certainly filled with dubious characters. For that matter, so is the entire world (as you said). We have more than our share of it however. Where it really gets tricky is when a Japanese sensei comes over to the west, teaching something less than credible. People get really confused then!

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly the IAACAB does. They claim to offer more than educational and seminar discounts. Then go on to list their benefits as "student referrals, a nationally published membership listing and an IMPRESSIVE 11x17 IAACAB certificate of accreditation." So what? It seems the only thing you're really paying for ('cause it ain't that bee-a-utiful certificate) are those little letters behind your name and/or that Tony Annesi, Joe Robaina, etc., think you're a swell guy. Oh well.

(BTW, Keith More is a godan in the AAA last I heard)

Justin Campbell
30th June 2000, 15:39
I believe that the DePasquale family are known for their Hakko-Ryu system. I think this "board" plugs in names without telling the individuals, hoping to lend credibility to his "board."

Kit LeBlanc
30th June 2000, 16:30
And don't the DePasquale's write their name with 'E' and not 'I'?

Kit LeBlanc

ericDZR
30th June 2000, 20:49
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't atemi-ryu jujitsu the "style" that grandmaster dr soke 8x kumite cham-pion soto "created"? now called atemi cobra jujitsu te (hisssss)

-eric sterner

Kevin Myers
30th June 2000, 23:08
Mr. Fittro,

If you have doubts as to Mr. Pellegrini's ability then I suggest you attend one of his seminars and judge for yourself. I have attended a couple of Combat Hapkido seminars and have been very impressed with his teaching ability and technical skill. My impression is that he is an excellant martial artist with some of the best skill I have ever seen. As far as being ranked by a Kuk Sool Won Master, Kuk Sool was derived from Hapkido and is often considered a style of Hapkido. Sun Seo In, who ranked Mr. Pellegrini, is an outstanding martial artist and as good or better than 99% of the legitimate Masters around today. Check them out for yourself.

Just my opinion, but opinions are like ***#@$@*, everybody has one!

RDFittro
1st July 2000, 02:49
Originally posted by Kevin Myers
Mr. Fittro,

If you have doubts as to Mr. Pellegrini's ability then I suggest you attend one of his seminars and judge for yourself. I have attended a couple of Combat Hapkido seminars and have been very impressed with his teaching ability and technical skill. My impression is that he is an excellant martial artist with some of the best skill I have ever seen. As far as being ranked by a Kuk Sool Won Master, Kuk Sool was derived from Hapkido and is often considered a style of Hapkido. Sun Seo In, who ranked Mr. Pellegrini, is an outstanding martial artist and as good or better than 99% of the legitimate Masters around today. Check them out for yourself.

Just my opinion, but opinions are like ***#@$@*, everybody has one!

Mr. Myers,
Yes, and some may smell better than others! But seriously, I'm glad you are impressed by Mr. Pellegrini. However, my post was specifically directed at YOUR OPINION that he is VERY creditable, especially in regards to his rank. If you are involved in the Hapkido community I find it hard to believe that you have not heard these concerns regarding Mr. Pelligrini. As for KUK SOOL WON being descended from Hapkido well.....you know it and I know it but that isn't the official party line of KUK SOOL WON. In any event, wouldn't that be like a Hakko ryu instructor giving an advanced ranking in Daito ryu to a student? After all, it should be alright since Hakko ryu is descended from Daito ryu right? BTW, I have been to Sun Seo In's dojang in Fremont, Ca....

But you are correct when you say everyone has one, including you and I.

[Edited by RDFittro on 06-30-2000 at 10:04 PM]

maney
1st July 2000, 03:04
I've never met any of the people mentioned, but I have heard nothing but good about several of them (with the rest beig unknowns to me).

If someone is just making this up without consulting the people who's names are mention, he is certainly bold considering that he linked to several of their websites.

fpsm

Dale
1st July 2000, 06:53
I wonder if the "board" also approved the colour scheme. Anyway, they get my vote I love bright colours, loud noises and anyone with "Prof." before thier name.

Yours sarcastically
Dale Elsdon

MarkF
1st July 2000, 17:47
Here is one of the more "interesting" sites which is "bored" certified:

http://www.aiki-jutsu.com/

Comments?

Kolschey
1st July 2000, 20:13
Did you see the whole thing about bleeding? GOOD CRIPES!
Maybe in our dojo we just don't have enough spiritual depth, but our response in cases of bleeding is to have the afflicted person leave the mat and clean/bandage the wound, while their partner uses a disinfectant solution to clean the mat of any blood. Perhaps he wishes to better help his students to achieve "non-dualistic thought" about issues of basic sanitation and health precautions.

Mokushin
1st July 2000, 22:46
I just love some of this elusive Enio Soto roshi's quotes like:

"Aiki-Jutsu is moving Zen"
"Class should be like life, both hard and soft, both brutal and gentle"
"A dojo is a microcosm of the "real" world."

Gee, haven't hear those before. (notice there are no pictures of this person and just a simple, vague paragraph).

.. I think Mr. Hanulak's "Aiki-Jutsu," or more correctly, authentic Daito-ryu aikijujutsu experience can be summed up in one picture: http://www.aiki-jutsu.com/highkick.html

MarkF
2nd July 2000, 15:26
There are no colored belts in Senso-Ryu Aikijutsu. When any kind of bleeding occurs due to training, the student will first bleed on the white belt of the student who caused the bleeding, then upon his own. At first this may sound barbaric but it is rooted in tradition. Originally after many years of training, the white belt, soiled and darkened with blood, sweat, dirt and tears, would have become black thus determining the students level of proficiency and time spent. Hence, the “black belt”.

OK, I'm bleeding! Who wants to be a brown belt?

Mark Brecht
2nd July 2000, 19:59
ROFL.

Did you guys look up the application form and see the fees they charge???

Anybody paying for this kind of thing, should not be board certified, but rather "dumb" certified.

Michael Becker
2nd July 2000, 20:05
"Board Certified".
Isnt that what happens to people when they are declaired mentally unfit and locked away in little padded rooms?

As for all this business of bleeding, it sounds like Tampon Ryu to me.

sammycerv
3rd July 2000, 05:09
Looking at the page makes me bored certified!!!

kenkyusha
3rd July 2000, 16:03
Clipped from the above 'Aiki' site.

[snip]
<b>novice must realize that he is learning "Ju-Jutsu" until he has mastered the finer aspects of the art such as centralization, flowing, leading, <i>sphericity</i>, frequency and perhaps what sets this system apart from others, the control techniques. </b>

Okay, admittedly, I don't know much, but what in the name of smeg is 'sphericity'?!?!?!

Be well,
Jigme

Michael Becker
3rd July 2000, 17:23
It looks like someone has been reading 'Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere'.

Michael Becker
3rd July 2000, 19:03
I think probably looking at the nice pictures, Jeff.

carl mcclafferty
3rd July 2000, 19:25
Folks
What the heck is a "war art with spirit and harmony". I've been in a war, survival had crap to do with "spirit and harmony"! We just had our Americal Division reunion in San Antonio, this would have got a great laugh out of everyone. Oh well I just did what I try not to do, respond to this stuff, but that is a bizarre name for a style.

Carl

Mollberg
3rd July 2000, 19:26
Originally posted by kenkyusha
Clipped from the above 'Aiki' site.

[snip]
<b>novice must realize that he is learning "Ju-Jutsu" until he has mastered the finer aspects of the art such as centralization, flowing, leading, <i>sphericity</i>, frequency and perhaps what sets this system apart from others, the control techniques. </b>

Okay, admittedly, I don't know much, but what in the name of smeg is 'sphericity'?!?!?!

Be well,
Jigme its just like curcurality...your stupid questions are makeing me angerfied and avramagated

3rd July 2000, 19:56
Jigme

You posted:

"Okay, admittedly, I don't know much, but what in the name of smeg is 'sphericity'?!?!?! "

Don't you know nothin??? It's a little city in aiki land dats round like a little bubble holdin all da aiki knowledge in da whole world. It's all purdy an everthang. Neil Yamamoto grew up there :)

Toby

Neil Yamamoto
4th July 2000, 00:37
Hey Toby! Howzit in Dallas?

Why for you wanna go drag me into this. I didn't grow up in Sphericity, BTW.

I just visited there every summer where I would take lessons from the various masters who would pass through the city to teach poor students like me. I earned a living selling patches from Sensei's old gi as charms to prevent jock itch as I stated in an earlier thread.

Now, Bernie Lau, he grew up in Sphericity, which is actually just outside of Hi-Lo, and the city name Sphericity refers to the shape of the native islander women. What's the matter with you, didn't you read Gilby's book of secret fighting arts. :D It is really pretty too, except for the women in bathing suits by the pool.

BTW, Jigme and other Red Dwarf fans, they are now showing Robot Wars (with Craig Charles) and Junk Yard wars (with Robert Llewlyen)on PBS.

kenkyusha
4th July 2000, 06:37
Originally posted by Mollberg
Jigme [/B]its just like curcurality...your stupid questions are makeing me angerfied and avramagated [/B][/QUOTE]
Thank you, I think I finalishily understandify :)

Be well,
Jigme

BTW, Neil, thanks for the heads-up... gotta look for that.

MarkF
4th July 2000, 10:41
Well, I ain't from nowhere that includes words like smeg and sphinc,,errrr, spheric....ha?

M.C. Busman
4th July 2000, 17:05
Hate to break it to all the Pelligrini fans out there, but John is known as someone who will do anything for another promotion. He originally taught Taekwondo, and later joined Myung Kwang-sik's group, hoping for a "lateral" promotion to black belt in Hapkido (he didn't get it--Myung was unimpressed). You can even see Pelligrini in an early school photo included in one of Myung's first books, standing as close to Myung as he can, although he was not one of his students.

As for the "legitimate" promotion to 8th dan. The Ki Do Hae offers promotion to anyone willing to pay the fees. The fee for 8th dan is $5,000. Don't believe me? Ask Pelligrini what his promotion cost! He didn't have to go through any sort of rank test or background check from Seo In-sun or anyone else from Ki Do or Kuk Sool. In his lifetime, Pelligrini has held only one legit rank in Hapkido, and that was a 1st dan from the American Hapkido Federation, Park/Wollmerschauser's group. Keep in mind that the 8th dan certificate is simply to recognize Pelligrini as the head of the style he founded, "Combat Hapkido", which I have seen him demonstrate in person, and no, it don't impress me much. If it works for you, Whoopee. But PLEASE don't suggest that possessing a cert alone somehow makes one legitimate! "Choson Do" was accepted as a "legitimate" Korean martial art with the Ki Do Hae--and there are ~numerous~ problems with that group's historicity!

Happy 4th,
M.C. Busman

Kevin Myers
6th July 2000, 00:52
Mr. Busman,

Sorry you feel differently about John Pellegrini than I do. I think he's legit and I like his Combat Hapkido. Again this is just my opinion and everyone seems to have one. I guess that's what makes this a great place to live, we can state our opinions eventhough they may differ.

Kevin

M.C. Busman
6th July 2000, 04:48
Hi Kevin,

There's nothing wrong with differing opinions. I have just never been able to figure out why Pelligrini has felt the need for approval from everyone (collecting certs, etc.) for his art. I mean, heck--there are enough folks like you out there who like combat Hapkido for what it is, and I'm guessing that y'all couldn't care less where it came from, whether it is pedigreed or not, etc. I mean, you would be with C.H. whether or not he had an 8th dan, right? In that case, why wasn't John able to do the same? Why does he need to buy a cert from a Korean org. which does nothing more than take money out of his pocket and recognize a modern-day, non-inherited, many-source art that he has founded? Wasn't it good enough just to say, Hey, I yam who I yam, here's Combat Hapkido, it stands on its own legs, take it or leave it?

It is an interesting tendancy, the search for legitimacy, or "how to appear legitimate in the martial arts community". What is it that causes some people to seek approval in the form of certificates and ranks (I know I know, put it in another thread)? Inadequacy? Is this the real drive behind the many "Sokeship" groups now? Desire for recognition based upon inadequacy?

M.C. Busman