PDA

View Full Version : Mass or Strength - Effects on Metabolism

Steve C
23rd May 2001, 16:04
Hiya, all. Got some queries about a subject. Don't know much about it and wondered if you guys can help.

I was reading an article at http://bodybuilding.about.com/recreation/bodybuilding/library/weekly/aa041900.htm?terms=bodybuilding+skinny+fat+person - here's a quote;

If you increase your lean body mass, you increase your metabolic rate. And the faster your metabolism is, the more fat you'll burn all day long - even while you're sleeping! This explains why bodybuilders, who have extremely high muscle to fat ratios, can stay lean year round without doing much aerobic work [...]

The best you can hope for from diet and aerobics alone is to become a "skinny fat person." You may lose weight from diet and aerobics, but much of it will be muscle, your fat to muscle ratio will plummet and you will take on a "soft" appearance. [...]

Without the weight training, you will never optimize your muscle to fat ratio and you will always struggle to keep fat off permanently.

Seems to be a fairly sound idea - the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism stays in order to maintain your body mass. Simple so far. But - inspired by Danny's thread about mass gain, I was wondering whether, if you train for mass, you'll end up needing a higher calorific intake than if you train for strength.

(Reality check - low weight +high reps = mass, high weight + low reps = strength?)

My approach is the opposite of danny's - to lose fat. The more muscle I have, the more calories my body'll burn off at rest. This leads to reduced bodyfat. At least, that's the idea. I wondered if anyone out there had any clue whether this is a sound idea.

Another question - after gaining 'massy' muscle, what happens if you switch to a 'strong' muscle regime?

Matthew Lawrence
23rd May 2001, 17:46
Hi Steve,

In my experience, weight training for mass and weight training for strength are the same. I do not believe that certain rep ranges are for strength and others are for mass. I think that how much you eat has the biggest impact on whether your weight training leads to increases in muscle mass. Of course, I am only talking about steroid-free training.

I think you are absolutely right about the fact that more muscle mass = more calorie expenditure. If you are coming at that goal from the other end--trying to lose weight but retain lean muscle mass--if you gradually cut your calories & continue to weight train, you can lose weight, some of which may be muscle, but most should be fat. Because summer is approaching, I am trying to get my bodyfat down a bit (8 or 9%) using this approach. I will probably lose some lean muscle, but hopefully quite a bit more fat. I have done this successfully in the past.

Finally, I think your body gets used to being a certain weight/composition over time. My body is pretty comfortable at about 202 lbs., so I have to eat pretty seriously to stay at my current weight of 210 lbs. I hope that by next year, I'll be about 215--220 lbs. at my current bodyfat.

Hope some of this was responsive and maybe even helpful.

yamatodamashii
24th May 2001, 02:35
Concrete example: When I was a doing powerlifting (won some regional competitions) I couldn't put on weight to save my life. I always lifted in the 148 lb class (of course, I only did this for two years). I was training in 3-5 rep range.
Since I have moved to the 8-12 rep range (for most bodyparts), the strength gains come more slowly... But I now weigh 203. There are ranges that your muscles will respond more positively to; however, everyone's muscle (fiber type) composition is different--so everyone has different "best" ranges. Two good sites for information:

www.goldsgym.com
www.fitnesseducation.com

Increasing muscle mass DOES increase BMR (basal metabolic rate).

DavidMasaki
29th May 2001, 09:37
Originally posted by Matthew Lawrence
Hi Steve,

In my experience, weight training for mass and weight training for strength are the same. I do not believe that certain rep ranges are for strength and others are for mass.

From what I understand, there are two types of muscle fiber where resistance training is concerned, fast twitch and slow twitch. Fast twitch muscles are powerful, bigger and don't use oxygen (anaerobic) and get fatigued quickly. Slow twitch muscles have greater endurance, are smaller, and do use oxygen (aerobic). Everyone has different ratios of slow twitch to fast twitch muscle fiber. I've even heard some countries will sample childrens muscle tissue and based upon the ratio of slow to fast twitch fiber will train them for different olympic events.

Exercising with different levels of resistance will train the fiber types differently. High weights, low reps, will train the fast twitch muscles producing larger gains of strength and bigger muslces, but muscles that don't have a lot of endurance. Low weight, high rep will train the slow twitch fibers and give your muscles more endurance, but less size and less explosive strength.