PDA

View Full Version : good teachers

koshoT
24th May 2001, 01:16
I am going to be studying Reikki next year. I would like to know how I can distinguish a good teacher from a bad one? Are there certain things that I should look for?

I also had a question for anyone who knows a lot about Reikki and the Chakras of the body. Does anyone know if the Chakras correspond to the glands of the body? And if so, does Reikki possibly work by stimulating those glands to produce hormones?

Thank you,
Tom Berkery

koshoT
24th May 2001, 17:43
What is TCM?

Of all the Reikki sites I've found some of them say that Reikki is for the poor, and others say that you must charge for treatement because without a fee the person receiving treatment will not appreciate it... I was wondering what your thougths were on this issue. I have always been one to believe that If you know something you should teach it for free otherwise it will stagnate, besides I am not a very money oriented person to begin with.
How does Reikki work?
Why can you not hurt someone with the treatment?
Does Reikki work with the meridians of the body as well?

Thank you,
Tom Berkery

koshoT
25th May 2001, 00:44
I appreciate the information.
I agree completely with your coment on the fact that anything can be used for healing.
I read on one Reikki site that Usui was a christian monk who wanted to find the way in which Christ could heal people, because Jesus was human after all, so he meditated and at some point became enlightented as to the process of it. I was wondering if anyone could verify this story for me?

Thank you,
Tom Berkery

nicholas
25th May 2001, 15:25
Hello,

I am about to take my Reiki master/teacher degree and I have done a LOT of research on this.

In traditional Reiki there were only THREE levels. Now, there are groups that will charge you $100.00 for a level three and $1500.00 for a teacher degree!?! The third level was allways the master/teacher degree. Don't fall for this crap.

There are certain symbols and hand signs that are used. Be very, very cautious of anyone claiming to teach the "extra" or "lost" symbols of Reiki.

Could there be extra symbols or extra degrees? Sure, why not, but they aren't REIKI! Get a good foundation in Reiki first, then worry about learning other symbols or so-called "advanced" methods.

In my opinion, you should stay away from anyone associated with Diane Stein. She makes claims like "Reiki was taught by Shiva thousands of years ago when Shiva was a Woman (Shiva is the male personification of destructive forces)" and claims to know these things because her "spirit guides" tell her, so she "knows" that they must be true. Furhermore, she started initiating people at the second degree (which cannot be done) and has never been certified by a master, that I am aware of, as a third degree herself.

Most importantly though, the Master/teacher must "click" with you. If you feel good about them and it resonates well with you, sometimes that is enough!

And yes, the chakra point do coincide with glands/organs/colors/concepts/influences/stones and electrical frequencies.

Hope this helps!

-Nicholas Trammell

nicholas
25th May 2001, 15:37
The story that Usui was a christian monk and taught at a christian university have never been proven. I don't remember the name of the university that some people claim he taught at, but that university commented that they had not heard of him.

It is known that he was a Japanese Buddhist monk. The stories of his desire to "learn the healing methods of Christ" were pretty much unheard of until Reiki came to the West.

Many places still teach it as fact that he was chrsitian, however, this is very unlikely. Though I have not personally done the vast amounts of research on Reiki history that others have, I agree with the theory that this is a story told to westerners during a particularly bad time for anything non-christian or out of the ordinary, especially Japanese People (Remeber Pearl Harbor?).

Who would want to be known as an "Asian witch-doctor" in a time when anti-japan feelings were at an all time high?

-Nicholas Trammell

koshoT
25th May 2001, 18:29
Thank you for the information.
I see your point about westerners not accepting a foreign influence. There are three levels then: Initiate, Middle, and Advanced? I appreciate everything that you have told me, but maybe it is just my nature to be so curious. Have you given many treatments? What do your patients tell you they feel? I am very interested in the eastern healing arts, and I am just trying to get as much information as I can.

Thank you,
Tom Berkery

nicholas
25th May 2001, 21:57
After I get home from work I'll find that material for you! I won't be able to post it until Tuesday at the earliest though (no computer at home).

If I am mistaken and you have some factual information that I am unaware of (pretty likely, as I don't keep up on the latest Reiki research), I would be as exited as anyone to learn about it!

Thanks,

Nicholas Trammell

koshoT
26th May 2001, 02:06
Do you know of any Reiki books? Or books that would have history? I am also interested in a lot of other TCM studies. If you know of any good books for TCM please let me know as well. Thank you again.

Tom Berkery