PDA

View Full Version : Wood Training Sword

Onikusari
30th June 2000, 06:46
I just recently was given a suburito by a friend. I've seen these practice swords before, but I don't really know much about them. Why is it different from bokkens?

Rob Kay

ghp
30th June 2000, 07:16
Hello Rob,

As you can see, the suburi-to is thicker and heavier than the regular bokuto. The suburi [swing] to [sword] is a weight training tool for kendo in the same vein that baseball players practice batting with iron weights on their bats. Since they are primarily designed for kendo, the handles are long, like a shinai [bamboo "sword" for kendo].

Since their handles are too long for iaido, I cut off a couple inches or so from the butt. With a shorter handle, the weight is even more forward and will really catch your attention.

There are even smaller, but thicker (octaganal and square), versions of the suburi-to, made for one-handed use. These really do wonders on your wrists and forearms!

Then, there is the mother-of-all-wooden-swords: the "tanren-bo" -- that is, the "forging staff." It is about the same length as a bokuto, but is made from a 4"x4" piece of lumber with a round handle carved at the base. It also is usually octaganal in cross-section. I haven't weighed mine [pine], but I think it weighs about 5~6 pounds. That doesn't sound like a lot -- but wait till you try swinging kesagiri and gyaku-kesagiri! :D

Regards,
Guy

Onikusari
1st July 2000, 07:50
Can a suburito take the abuse in bo -v- sword drills?

Rob Kay

carl mcclafferty
1st July 2000, 13:13
Rob:
Your suburito should be sturdy. My current one was purchased in 1983. Though it will hold up to any drill a bokuto will, I'm not sure your joints will especially if you are not use to it. Please talk to Mr. Powers about how to strengthen your technique with time proven exercises. I have a friend who was in plaster casts(sic) from wrists repair operations over one night of practice with an instructor who was sure the pain was good for him.

Carl McClafferty

Justin Campbell
1st July 2000, 22:09
I have been looking for good, quality training weapons (Bokken and Suburito). I need a bokken that can take tons of use, striking other wooden weapons, etc. Any idea of where I can go (Internet preferred) to get these?

Thanks a million,

JJ Campbell

Joseph Svinth
2nd July 2000, 00:02
Justin -- try Kim Taylor at http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido

The e-mail address is kataylor@uoguelph.ca

Tim Atkinson
12th July 2000, 07:36
I have seen Suburito with both a "pregnat" bokuto section an a straight balde with a octagonal cross section, why the diference? Is one for kendo and the other for Kenjustu, Iai etc?

hyaku
12th July 2000, 12:31
Originally posted by Tim Atkinson
I have seen Suburito with both a "pregnat" bokuto section an a straight balde with a octagonal cross section, why the diference? Is one for kendo and the other for Kenjustu, Iai etc?

There are many types, some for particular ryu and others designed for weight and balance. Curved, straight, hexagonal octagonal, oar shaped etc. An over cuved type to practice using the monouchi and sori of a large curved blade. I use a six kilogram straight one to warm up useing the thumb and first fingers only. Then one handed suburi. As Guy Power said in another post it's the hips you need to produce the cut. I try to strengthen the fingers to be able to stop the blade.

Oops didn't put my name.

Hyakutake http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword