PDA

View Full Version : Gyakute tori (or dori)

Amanda790
24th May 2001, 17:23
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering what gyakute tori is? I know it is a attack or strike, and I wish to know more about it. I have seen little to no information on it. Also, I would like to ask if you could explain how atemi is delivered when executing shomenuchi ikkyo, and when executing katatedori ikkyo. I was told also that the person throwing initiates the technique (according to the technical manual "Budo" published by O-Sensei). Is that true?

Thanks,

Amanda790

autrelle
24th May 2001, 19:56
uh...let's see if i remember. on shomenuchi ikkyo, the first motion is a double atemi, one to the flank and one to the face. the one to the face is really important because you want to draw out uke arm (sasoe waza). there are a few other strikes one could slip in, but for basic practice, i think this is enough. for katatedori (ai hanmi), i believe that as you step offline, you want to atemi to your partner's face. then when you release your wrist for ikkyo, you can still atemi to the ribs again. don't quote me on this though...anyone else?

Greg Jennings
24th May 2001, 20:30
Originally posted by Amanda790
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering what gyakute tori is? I know it is a attack or strike, and I wish to know more about it. I have seen little to no information on it. Also, I would like to ask if you could explain how atemi is delivered when executing shomenuchi ikkyo, and when executing katatedori ikkyo. I was told also that the person throwing initiates the technique (according to the technical manual "Budo" published by O-Sensei). Is that true?

I can only speak for my own personal experience and my own aikido.

Gyakute tori/dori is the same as kosadori is the same as ai hanmi katatedori.

In the kihonwaza of the Iwama style of aikido, nage initiates movement in shomenuchi ikkyo. It is a blade-hand strike to uke's faces in ai hanmi. It is to prompt uke to block the strike. Nage uses the attack blade hand at uke's wrist/forearm and his other hand at uke's elbow to guide uke into ikkyo.

Again in the kihonwaza of the Iwama style, katatedori ikkyo is begun by nage cutting the grasped hand to the outside, shifting hanmi and applying atemi to uke's face in the usual inverted fist/elbow in/middle knuckle protruding manner.

In my own aikido, nage is always initiating regardless of whether he overtly begins the "technique" as in shomenuchi ikkyo (both omote and ura) kihon waza. In my own mind, this has absolutely nothing to do with initating agression. YMMV.

Regards,

rossl42
27th May 2001, 06:40
I too can only give the meaning of the term as it is used in our school. Something like gyaku = "reverse" and katate dori "grab / hold with one hand".

However there is a nice picture you will find at http://www.bama.ua.edu/~usbudo/kihonfrs.html[/URL]

From there look for tehodoki 2.

Hope this is of some help.