PDA

View Full Version : UMAS update. Accredited?

MarkF
25th May 2001, 10:32
http://www.mararts.org/University/acms.htm

THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF MARTIAL SCIENCE WILL AWARD USMA MEMBERS CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT FOR NATIONAL TRAINING CAMP ATTENDANCE

We are delighted to announce that the United States Martial Arts Association (USMA) has launched a cooperative program with the American College of Martial Science (ACMS).

For years, our USMA has sought to devise a program whereby our members could achieve legitimate undergraduate and graduate degrees in the Martial Arts through want we called at that time the
University of Martial Arts and Sciences (UMAS). Accreditation proved to be a serious stumbling block, but this problem has now been solved because as the American College of Martial Science (ACMS) is already in existence. The ACMS President, Dr. Jason Hunt, is a member of the USMA. To begin our cooperative program with ACMS, the College has offered credit for attendance at the USMA National Training Camp to be held in Tulsa at the USMA 2001 Hall of Fame. Dr. Hunt has made the following announcement:

NOTICE: All USMA members attending the USMA National Training Camp and Hall of Fame this year in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The American College of Martial Science, a non-resident degree granting college, is giving all members a $500 discount
on any degree program offered by the University. The new student must enroll by October 15, 2001 to take advantage of the one-time tuition discount.

Those USMA members attending the USMA National Training Camp will receive one continuing education credit for each seminar you attend. Good towards any degree program at the University. The CEU (Continuing Education Credit) form must be signed by the attending instructor at the end of each class.

The American College of Martial Science currently offers:
Bachelor of Science in Martial Science
Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science

Master of Science in Martial Science
Master of Science in Exercise Science

Doctor of Philosophy in Martial Science

To request a catalog or more information contact the Admission Dept. at karatecollege@aol.com or call (812) 989-7624

DR. Jason Hunt
President

Does anyone know anthing about "The American College of Martial Science?" :eek:

John Lindsey
25th May 2001, 13:05
This is the work of O'sensei Phil Porter I think.

MarkF
26th May 2001, 09:41
Hi, John,
You may be correct. I am wondering what the American College of Martial Science really is. If it is the work of the USMAA, then why would they then thank something by there own making, which has accredited them, implying that this ACMS is legitimate.

Believe it or not, I hope it is, and that Mr. Meadows comes 'round to explain it and where this college accrediting comes from. It shouldn't be overly difficult to describe, give the name, address, the President's and Chancellors' names, contact info (website, telephone which can be done thru email if they don't want it displayed in public), and who certified them to certify the USMA to have a University of Martial Arts and Sciences, what the curriculum is, and if this is tied to ranking of Dan-i, or menkyo etc.

I don't want this to be a flame thread, I would just like to have an honest answer, as we all do. If the info if provided, or emailed, snailmailed with the college's header, or the list of people pertinent to the college, then the thread is over.

Anyone with pertinent information may contact me through my email of record.

One such University, a German one, was found to be tied to someone here in the US.

This raises some real questions.

Mark

MarkF
26th May 2001, 10:39
The following letter was written to Philip S. Porter, O-sensei of the United States Martial Arts Associatio. This does not have to do with the topic, and probably I will have to move it, but I also thought it would be of entertainment value. Cute, too.
This is the link: http://www.mararts.org/news/Letters%20to%20the%20USMA.htm

Look on this page for letters to the USMA and other fun and interesting comments.

The below letter came as an e-mail to Mr. Porter. It should be an inspiration to all of us.

Dear Sir,
I would like to join your organization. I am only 13 though but I do hold the rank of Nidan in Okinawan Kempo & Tae Kwon Do.
I know every day when I wake up I am one day closer to obtaining my biggest dream of owning my own martial arts school. I have even thought of the name I will use. I did not see any forms for individuals just schools. Is it possible to join your organization as a individual? Please let me know. Thank you.:kiss:

Respectfully,

Nikki Henderson, 2nd dan

Ben Reinhardt
29th May 2001, 15:43
Originally posted by MarkF
The following letter was written to Philip S. Porter, O-sensei of the United States Martial Arts Associatio. This does not have to do with the topic, and probably I will have to move it, but I also thought it would be of entertainment value. Cute, too.
This is the link: http://www.mararts.org/news/Letters%20to%20the%20USMA.htm

Look on this page for letters to the USMA and other fun and interesting comments.

The below letter came as an e-mail to Mr. Porter. It should be an inspiration to all of us.

Dear Sir,
I would like to join your organization. I am only 13 though but I do hold the rank of Nidan in Okinawan Kempo & Tae Kwon Do.
I know every day when I wake up I am one day closer to obtaining my biggest dream of owning my own martial arts school. I have even thought of the name I will use. I did not see any forms for individuals just schools. Is it possible to join your organization as a individual? Please let me know. Thank you.:kiss:

Respectfully,

Nikki Henderson, 2nd dan

I'm sure as long either the kid or his parents can fork over the money, he is welcome to join.

Ben Reinhardt

Ben Reinhardt
29th May 2001, 15:48
MarkF: Accreditation proved to be a serious stumbling block, but this problem has now been solved because as the American College of Martial Science (ACMS) is already in existence. The ACMS President, Dr. Jason Hunt, is a member of the USMA.

Mark,

The fact that this is associated with Mr. Porter should answer all you questions. I bet accreditation was a BIG stumbling block. Anybody can set up a "college" and then say they are accredited. With some other bogus organization, not doubt.

Thanks for doing us the service of pointing out these new shenanigans to us !

Ben Reinhardt

Don Cunningham
10th July 2001, 05:18
Based on the telephone area code, the American College of Martial Science is located somewhere in southern Indiana. I have called the telephone number and no one answered. I have written to the e-mail address, but received no response.

I am very dubious of this latest entry into the martial arts/academic community. On the surface, it seems pretty much like another scam or diploma mill. I haven't been able to locate any web site or business address for this reputedly accredited college, something that raises questions by itself. That it is associated with the USMAA also sets off a number of internal warning alarms.

Why do these borderline martial arts instructors have such a fascination with academic titles? Is it because it presents a degree of legitimacy? (Yes, the pun, as bad as it is, was intended.) Why do so many pursue dubious university recognition? Why not just go down to the local college, enroll, take a few classes, and graduate with a real diploma and be awarded a legitimate academic title? Yet these "instant doctorate" programs keep cropping up all over the place. They wouldn't be nearly so prevalent unless there are at least some people interested in their product.

And what the heck is it with the CEUs? Every business-related training class or seminar I've ever attended has awarded me with some number of CEUs. Where are these things kept and what the heck good are they? I haven't been able to find a single purpose for any of the CEUs I've earned to date. At least airline milage awards can be redeemed for something worthwhile, but CEUs are pretty much meaningless.

dakotajudo
11th July 2001, 00:47
Originally posted by Don Cunningham
Based on the telephone area code, the American College of Martial Science is located somewhere in southern Indiana. I have called the telephone number and no one answered. I have written to the e-mail address, but received no response.

I sent an email to the UCMA when I read the thread concerning the USMA National Training Camp and Hall of Fame a while back.

I got a booklet about a week later. The ACMS is accredited through a seminary (I think Indiana, but I may be wrong, don't have the booklet handy).

According to the literature I received, since they are accredited through a seminary they don't need to register with the US Dept. of Education.

From the plan of study and courses described, it doesn't seem that bad, if you want to be a personal trainer.

Peter

Don Cunningham
11th July 2001, 01:32
A Doctor of Philosophy in Martial Science degree doesn't sound like something from a seminary. They may not have to register with the federal government, but I bet they have to with the state officials. Separation between church and state aside, the state usually gets pretty darn sticky about who they allow to issue academic degrees. See the previous thread regarding UOP and Juko Kai. Maine officials were none too happy to see Rod's web site offering degrees for sale.

MarkF
11th July 2001, 10:28
Why even wait the amount of time it takes to finish that book by Donn Draeger when you can have one now?

Back in April, I received an offer for a degree, from a BA to a Ph.D in just a few days. It stated it was unnacredited, and had nothing to do with MA, though I'm sure they would accomodate you.

All one had to do was contact the AOL address, state which degree you wanted and from which college (now an unaccredited degree from Harvard. Now we're talking!), and the price of said degree. When the check cleared, you were sent the sheepskin (or whatever copy paper in the machine at the time it was printed).

Who wants to wait for the UMAS when you can have your degree in Asian languages attesting to your study of Mandarin and Cantonese, Japanese, and whatever else you wanted.

Funny, but it came the same day I returned from a seminar.

I am no longer a member of AOL, darn it.:cry:

Mark

PS: It may still be in my AOL filing cabinet. If it comes from Indiana, I'll post it, if it doesn't, I'll post it. If I still have it, I'll post it.

Don Cunningham
11th July 2001, 14:47
I get these offers via e-mail two or three times a month. Some are the same, some are different. All are bogus.

drhunt
16th July 2001, 18:24
Hello,
My name is Dr. Jason Hunt, President of the ACMS. I received notification from an anonymous source that there were some questions, as well as false information posted on the e-budo site.
I would like to tell you about the ACMS for the record. The ACMS is a nonresident degree granting college in Clarksville, IN just outside of Louisville, KY. We are fully accredited by Dwelling Place Seminaries of New Albany, IN. * Because of religious accreditation we are not required to register with the US Dept. of Education. We will not apply for US recognition until March of 2003. A college must operate for a minimum of two years before accreditation can be given.

We are in full compliance with all state and local regulations, and we are not a " diploma mill". We have a physical campus in Clarksville, IN, we have a 2000 sq. ft training facility, 4 class rooms ( currently being renovated), a 1000 sq. ft. Weight Room as well as 1 acre of outdoor training facilities available. We will begin to accept resident students in August 2002.

The ACMS is not affiliated with USMA, they are just a big supporter of our programs. We are currently the only accredited college of martial science in the USA, because of our nonresident status we are able to offer programs at a fraction of the cost of other "traditional colleges."

All our programs are science based, meaning there is not a lot of content on any specific martial art or philosophical style. The programs are designed to give the student a well rounded understanding of exercise, nutrition, anatomy, business, education and many other disciplines. We do however, offer cross training in martial arts by video, although it is no where near the real learning experience, a student can still receive credit in the class as well as gain a deeper understanding of a new style.
call or write for a catalog!

Our temporary web site is at: www.americancollegeofmartialscience.com
Our phone number is: (812) 989-7624
Admissions: karatecollege@aol.com

Thanks,
Dr. Jason Hunt, M.S, Ph.D., O. M. D.
10 th Dan Submission Kenpo
President ACMS

MarkF
17th July 2001, 08:42
Welcome to E-budo Dr. Hunt!

Well, this is interesting. Mr. Porter says he is looking to, or his University of Martial Science is, you're organization for accreditation, so I would appreciate a few answers to question apparently the USMA is avoiding.

Since you state you are a 10-dan in "submission Kenpo" who graded you to 10-dan, a short description of this type of kenpo, and who your teacher[s] were. Is this a martial art style which you founded yourself?

As to your academic credentials, could you fill us in with that as well? Where you studied, both undergrad and postgrad work, particularly the doctoral degree? Also, what is an O.M.D.? Is this a doctoral degree? Where did you receive this degree?

Thank you for the time you took to write me (and I am supposing others) with this information. The information in these threads comes directly from the USMA website.

Sincerely,

Mark